• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD650 Review (Headphone)

ishouldbeking

20 custom presets, and another 22 ready made presets (rock, R&B, classic,...) that to my understanding you can change as well.

Yeah, I haven't messed with the presets, but I believe you can tweak the individual parameters but I'm not sure if you can rename them. The 20 custom slots can be renamed or tweaked however you like. For $109, this thing is excellent.

Fernando

Forum Donor
@amirm Hello!
Have you tried measuring and listening to the hd650 without the internal foam pads?
Almost everyone I know has removed this and are happy, it would be interesting to check the measurements.
Thanks!

Cylphio

@amirm Hello!
Have you tried measuring and listening to the hd650 without the internal foam pads?
Almost everyone I know has removed this and are happy, it would be interesting to check the measurements.
Thanks!
It's a mere Psicoacustic effect

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a mere Psicoacustic effect
Well, it will change the sound. But given its a tweak, most that do it are likely due to think any change is an improvement. Very hard to a/B the change without 2 identical copies, one modded, one not.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Perhaps @solderdude can shed some light on the effects of that foam behind the driver?
Edit: my mistake. It looks like Fernando meant the foam discs between driver and earpad.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@amirm Hello!
Thanks!

With foam, without foam.
Senn foam vs no foam.png

Do note that the differences one sees could be the foam and could be a slightly different position on the rig. One HAS to remove the pads, then the foam, press on the pads and reposition the headphone. Note 2dB/div.

Did some more experiments as well...

Cylphio

Well, it will change the sound. But given its a tweak, most that do it are likely due to think any change is an improvement. Very hard to a/B the change without 2 identical copies, one modded, one not.
I made a blind test with 2 pairs. No changes. I didn't imagine the power of a conditioned mind. I can easily detect the difference between mp3 and wav, but in this case... nope.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I believe @pkane said he measured substantial differences and posted plots.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Depending on manufacturer quality control and the magnitude of effects, changes can even be attributed to unit variances doing that :p

Fernando

Forum Donor
It seemed to me that the famous veil was diminishing, but it could be my mind ... Now I enjoy Eq.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Depending on manufacturer quality control and the magnitude of effects, changes can even be attributed to unit variances doing that :p
Yup. Hence I said they would need to be 2 identical copies. Which is practically impossible unless you're the manuf and or someone with measurement rig and access to lots of copies.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It seemed to me that the famous veil was diminishing, but it could be my mind ... Now I enjoy Eq.

The veil is no myth but is not lifted by the foam other than in the mind/eyes of the modder.

Black driver with fresh pads, HD650 from 2017, veiled HD650 (2014)

hd650-bl-vs-hd650-blnew-pads-vs-hd650-veiled.png

Fernando

Forum Donor
Mine is roughly 2003 store bought.

half_dog

The veil is no myth but is not lifted by the foam other than in the mind/eyes of the modder.

Black driver with fresh pads, HD650 from 2017, veiled HD650 (2014)

hd650-bl-vs-hd650-blnew-pads-vs-hd650-veiled.png
Probably you already have done this, but do you think if a 2014 driver (only the "lollipop") being placed on a more recent chassis it would sound closer to the current revision?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Haven't exchanged drivers in other chassis.
Most differences I expect to be in the foamies behind the driver (influences the mid-lows)

Andysu

Major Contributor
I'm a poor :( simple pheasant home cinema guy that can only afford the Sennheiser HD559 :p closed headphones.

Only use them to check hearing under control listening background levels and used for monitoring film soundtrack or music to see if I have missed overlooked something and I can go back and redo try it again on the JBL cinema speakers.
Here just checking hearing range, I think I redid it as the graph was lot lower than pictured but still need an enveration boast on the upper highs.
53566832_10156904085975149_5935989289513910272_n.jpg

Andysu

Major Contributor
Try taking the foam out of one earcup only. You will almost certainly hear a difference.
Now that never occurred to me I shall do that, as it maybe only change the upper highs with tiny fraction dB more.

Top Bottom