• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Ananda Review (headphone)

Chocomel

I compiled more excess group delay plots more of various headphones. For those not familiar with them basically flat line at 0 is minimum phase, you can see some variation at the lowest Frequencies due to noise and some wiggling in the top octave sometimes. Anyway headphones are generally minimum phase, except some outliers which some show deviation from this in limited frequency ranges (for example monoprice m1060)

Anmol

Forum Donor
This sentence we have heard so often. And I disagree. But I admit it is difficult to explain. It is not about telling you (not you personally, of course) where to spend on or not. But under certain circumstances you got to admit, it was then a mistake, which you normally won't do. You are free to do mistakes, of course.
Amir told me via his review that my beyer t1 was a headless panther. I still like it. May be bias, may be faulty ears. Either way objective is happiness-:) and I am happy. Mistakes/shit happens and it's ok as long as you are happy with it.

Veri

Master Contributor
Positioning matters a lot for Ananda. Positioning a little back solves most high frequency peaks.
I was thinking either that, or there is severe variance in treble with these Anandas.

hege

Forum Donor
Here is a track with such deep bass: Terje Isungset - Fading Sun
There is deep bass here that most speakers can't reproduce.

To be fair it hits mostly in the 33hz region with minor droops under 30hz.

Terje Isungset - Fading Sun (2010)-dONSkfbxnao.png

There's much better examples in the Bass thread. :D

But yeah if we are talking about "most" 5-6.5" soap boxes..

Last edited:

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In-ear Measurements like for example rtings does would be a great way to confirm it.

Rtings' measurements of the Ananda suggest that there could quite a bit of variability across listeners below 100hz:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/graph#670/4012
The lower traces are somewhat consistent with this review.
For information for others Rtings measures the bass response on five real humans with in ear mics and merge it with their measurements on their HATS above a certain frequency :
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/sound-quality/frequency-response-consistency

Fernando

Forum Donor
Correct.

It all started when Amir was trying to explain the differences between his PEQ and Oratory's PEQ profile, for AKG K371, back in January 29.
So I simply imported Oratory's PEQ profile and made a gif to compare both.
People liked the idea, and here we are... :D

It would also be great to compare the measurements!

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
It would also be great to compare the measurements!
Here's my thoughts on how to do this:
1. The measurement fixtures would have to match from source to source.
Amir used GRAS 45CA-10 since the beginning.
Oratory1990, as far I know, also uses GRAS 45CA-10, so that's good.
But he used different fixtures in the past, so it wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison.
For the Hifiman Ananda, he used "GRAS 43AC/43AG" fixture. (source)

2. For best results, you'll need the raw frequency vs dbSPL for both sources.
Amir attaches his measurements with each review, so that's perfect.
Oratory1990 doesnt include his raw measurements. (example)
So you would have to find this data elsewhere...Jaakko includes this data in his CSV file. (source)
If you can't find the data, you would have to use the 'WebPlotDigitizer' to extract the frequency and dbSPL data, and save it to excel.

Then import both into REW and then simply show both on the same screenshot (or compare each individually and make it a gif).
Is this worth doing? You tell me.
Perhaps another member has tried this already?

B4ICU

It is disappointing to have another model of Hifiman , this time for $1K and to test bad.
For the test, as it goes for the bottom line, it has a very small variety of pseudo interval criteria:
Recommend, recommend with EQ and not recommend...

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Before my purchase, I ran a poll asking if I should get an LCD-2F or Ananda. Well, the Ananda won the polling. So.. should I sell these and try the LCD-2F then?

I am going to go broke trying to find a good set lol

Merkurio

Before my purchase, I ran a poll asking if I should get an LCD-2F or Ananda. Well, the Ananda won the polling. So.. should I sell these and try the LCD-2F then?

As I stated in that post, the LCD2F would have been a more technical capable headphone if you're ok with EQ (just look at the LCD-X review, which has the same driver arrangement minus the impedance).

faheem

Forum Donor

Why? Did you enjoy your set before the review? If yes, then the review doesn't make any difference to your enjoyment factor.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
As I stated in that post, the LCD2F would have been a more technical capable headphone if you're ok with EQ (just look at the LCD-X review, which has the same driver arrangement minus the impedance).

I suppose I thought more technically capable didn't mean the Ananda was a dud in measurements, welp R.I.P. my wallet! of course I know there was no way to know ahead of time how the review would pan out, I suppose it makes me question my choice.

Nango

Major Contributor
What is this? Is this audible or do we hear those identically? Can I measure these capabilities? Or is it again just Head-Fi speach "for believers only"?

LoyK

I am pretty sure this has the same measurement error/fit problem that the Abyss Diana V2 measurements had:
  • Too much bass shelf
    • Ananda has no bass shelf
  • Sub bass drop off that is not there in reality
    • Ananda plays very low frequencies but because there is not bass shelf those are hard to hear
    • I tested some of the test tracks from Amir and my head hurts with sub bass that my Ananda produces here
    • If I add the TrueBass of iFi Zen Dac it really starts to output lots of clean bass
  • Too high distortion measurements
Maybe the problem is that Ananda and Diana have no cup swivel?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's my thoughts on how to do this:
1. The measurement fixtures would have to match from source to source.
Amir used GRAS 45CA-10 since the beginning.
Oratory1990, as far I know, also uses GRAS 45CA-10, so that's good.
But he used different fixtures in the past, so it wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison.
For the Hifiman Ananda, he used "GRAS 43AC/43AG" fixture. (source)

2. For best results, you'll need the raw frequency vs dbSPL for both sources.
Amir attaches his measurements with each review, so that's perfect.
Oratory1990 doesnt include his raw measurements. (example)
So you would have to find this data elsewhere...Jaakko includes this data in his CSV file. (source)
If you can't find the data, you would have to use the 'WebPlotDigitizer' to extract the frequency and dbSPL data, and save it to excel.

Then import both into REW and then simply show both on the same screenshot (or compare each individually and make it a gif).
Is this worth doing? You tell me.
Perhaps another member has tried this already?
I think it's more interesting comparing measurements of Oratory vs Amir rather than the EQ Curves, because it's the measurements that determine the basis of any EQ, and also reflects how the headphone would sound when at stock without EQ. Yes, you're right, that's how a person could compare the measurements (I've used VirtuixCAD in the past to extract text file data points from a graph - the SPL Trace option of VirtuixCAD).

Last edited:

manishex

Is distortion measured by an amp on high gain or low gain and does that even make a difference?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

holicst

Top Bottom