• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs S9 Review (Headphone Adapter)

jannek

I happen to like fly fishing and that comment made me smile. Your next comments are condescending and make me tune out.

What makes you think that I haven't watched the measurement videos? Are you the only person understanding the subject matter? Have you studied acoustical engineering and understand the science behind it?

Living in a bubble is never a good thing...and it sounds terrible.

Post #274 by Zolall maybe was conscending in the first and the last two sentences. But in between there was a lot of useful information.
Comparing measurements of the S9 and the DF I can understand they sound different - the DF has second harmonics above -90 dB whereas the S9 has these at -115dB which is at the border of audibility. So it's possible the DF sounds warmer or fuller - but not because the original recording is like this but because it adds this "effect". Just like a tube amp.
Concerning customizing and filters: Have a look at E1DA 9038 dongles and the provided app. These DACs are capable of providing "pure" music at low distortion and noise and also let you manipulate sound with filters and harmonics compensation.

jannek

I just compared Amirs measurements of Dragonfly Red (which atmfrank seems to own and compare to the S9) and the S9. The DF red does not look like SOTA but also not completely broken.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I just compared Amirs measurements of Dragonfly Red (which atmfrank seems to own and compare to the S9) and the S9. The DF red does not look like SOTA but also not completely broken.
You didn't had anything to compare. Amir didn't do multitone on Red. Red and Cobalt share same amp (SABRE9601) while Cobalt uses a bit newer ESS 32 DAC and actually mesure better. As both show same noise harmonic behaviour (@1 KHz) it's easy to assume how Red behaves even worser on multitone.

Steeveep

Whatever your device uses for volume control. No special app or control.
So on UAPP I assume it would be the hardware volume slider, which I like. Is it a worthy upgrade sound wise over the sonata hd pro? I'd almost buy it for the smooth volume control alone :)

alleroy

With S9 connected to Samsung Galaxy S10E and using Fiio F9 Pro on single ended 3,5mm connection I have to turn the volume nearly at maximum level with Usb Audio Player Pro to get a pleasantly loud audio output. Am I getting old or is this normal?

Last edited:
With S9 connected to Samsung Galaxy S10E and using Fiio F9 Pro on single ended 3,5mm connection I have to turn the volume nearly at maximum level with Usb Audio Player Pro to get a pleasantly loud audio output. Am I getting old or is this normal?

That seems a bit odd. I have to set the S9 to -40db to listen comfortably with the FiiO FH3 on my Mac Book single ended. That thing has some serious power for a dongle.

jannek

The S9 drives my Aeon2 almost sufficiently on SE - with about 15 dB less efficiency.
I suppose there is a limitation in the phone still active. Try another player app or have a look in the advanced volume settings.
Or try the S9 on a tablet or windows PC, maybe the USB port is current limited. Which should not matter with IEMs.

Last edited:

zenki

Low volume with definitely. If you need hi vol that means your config is probably not right. (using software vol?)

th0m

Hmmm... was just about ready to order one of these, but it's listed as "temporarily unavailable" on Audiophonics with a note that says "The Hidizs S9 product will soon be replaced by its successor, the S9 PRO. It will normally be available at the end of April".

Is there any info available yet regarding the S9 Pro and what the differences might be?

kamui

Hmmm... was just about ready to order one of these, but it's listed as "temporarily unavailable" on Audiophonics with a note that says "The Hidizs S9 product will soon be replaced by its successor, the S9 PRO. It will normally be available at the end of April".

Is there any info available yet regarding the S9 Pro and what the differences might be?

Hm, I actually just ordered the S9. I did some googling and I found this on a weibo.cn link with photos of the S9 Pro and claims the S9 Pro will use the ES9218 DAC chip instead of the AK4493 on the S9. Form factor from the photos look the same otherwise?

alleroy

The S9 drives my Aeon2 almost sufficiently on SE - with about 15 dB less efficiency.
I suppose there is a limitation in the phone still active. Try another player app or have a look in the advanced volume settings.
Or try the S9 on a tablet or windows PC, maybe the USB port is current limited. Which should not matter with IEMs.

I have done several tries with two different smartphones (Asus Zenfone 2, micro usb with OTG cable, Samsung S10E, direct usb-c connection) and with a tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5", micro usb with OTG cable), and both using Fiio F9 Pro and Audio Technica MSR7b, always using only single ended 3.5" connection, and in all cases I found that the volume output is quite low if compared when I connect the S9 with a Windows 10 notebook (Dell G5 15). To get the same level which I obtain with the slider at 35% in windows volume control, I have to reach maximum level on Android devices, regardless of whatever app (UAPP, Qobuz, Tidal) I am using to play music.
Moreover, the loudness I get when using S9 on Android devices is almost the same, if not lower, than the one I get when direct connecting my headphones to them without using S9, again regardless of whatever app I am using.
I am wondering if there is some kind of limitation on the output power of usb port on my Android devices (I live on EU, don't know if it does matter), and how to check for it.

jannek

It's not EU related, I have no such problems. Did you update the S9 firmware yet?

Last edited:

alleroy

It's not EU related, I have no such problems. Did you update the S9 firmware yet?

In the download center of Hidzis website there is no firmware update yet. I am right now writing to them to see if they can provide it to me.

Top Bottom