• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cell phones w removable batteries?

Destination: Moon

A couple years ago I read that the EU was considering legislation to force manufacturers to restore removable batteries in their cell phone lines.

My venerable V20 is going to need replacement soon..,.I'm wondering if there is any more info about this legislation? A few searches didn't come up with anything new

egellings

Major Contributor
I have an inexpensive 'feature' phone that has an easy to replace battery. The back of the phone comes off, and you simply remove the battery which makes connection via spring loaded contacts.

OP
D

I have an inexpensive 'feature' phone that has an easy to replace battery. The back of the phone comes off, and you simply remove the battery which makes connection via spring loaded contacts.

Like virtually every other device with a battery!

egellings

Major Contributor
I had one cheapie phone with the battery soldered in. The phone was a throwaway.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I shudder at the day I have to replace my V20. I've bought three replacement batteries so far, and an out of phone charger, and one of the batteries is starting to go. It seems the thing just eats batteries. Maybe I don't charge it right, but I know I don't want a phone with a non user replaceable battery, but I fear I am eventually going to have to buy one.

OP
D

I shudder at the day I have to replace my V20. I've bought three replacement batteries so far, and an out of phone charger, and one of the batteries is starting to go. It seems the thing just eats batteries. Maybe I don't charge it right, but I know I don't want a phone with a non user replaceable battery, but I fear I am eventually going to have to buy one.

I'm hoping I don't have to either....I may get another V20. The charge port on mine after 5 years is starting to go.

As for Li batteries, they don't like being fully charged for long periods and they don't like getting drained below 35 percent. I try to charge only to 85 or 90 when I can and never get below 40 if I can help it. My phone's 5 years old and functions good as new because it's got a relatively new battery

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm hoping I don't have to either....I may get another V20. The charge port on mine after 5 years is starting to go.

As for Li batteries, they don't like being fully charged for long periods and they don't like getting drained below 35 percent. I try to charge only to 85 or 90 when I can and never get below 40 if I can help it. My phone's 5 years old and functions good as new because it's got a relatively new battery
I can't understand how anyone can have a phone that they have to charge for hours at a time. The replaceable battery means the phone is up and ready at all times.

OP
D

I can't understand how anyone can have a phone that they have to charge for hours at a time. The replaceable battery means the phone is up and ready at all times.

I guess, portable battery banks kind of make that a non issue. But batteries have a finite life even if you treat them properly. If you drain them to 10 percent everyday they fail quickly. The sealed phone also destroys the used handset market because it introduces too many unknowns - that are totally cured by swapping the battery

Saidera

A really basic phone should be a removable battery phone.

Panasonic in Japan still sells removable battery laptops for domestic users.

They keep them unremovable to make devices thin, waterproof, flexible, quicker to dispose of and increasing profits, and to combat the fact that if you don't keep a battery charged it will stop working - yet by keeping it in the device - if you don't use the device for a long time, it actually discharges faster! So it's just hopeless. I prefer removable and I hope the tide turns someday.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did have a replaceable battery in my Samsung S4. After I broke that phone I got another Samsung, albeit a lesser model, that had a replaceable battery too....and even looked like the S4 battery but they changed the tab locations....pissed me off as I had a couple spare batteries I thought I could use! That phone turned out to be a dud plus I broke it, too anyways so it didn't matter....do wish my latest had a replaceable battery but with one of those portable batteries you can hook up via the usb that I got as part of the phone package it doesn't really matter any more.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I did have a replaceable battery in my Samsung S4. After I broke that phone I got another Samsung, albeit a lesser model, that had a replaceable battery too....and even looked like the S4 battery but they changed the tab locations....pissed me off as I had a couple spare batteries I thought I could use! That phone turned out to be a dud plus I broke it, too anyways so it didn't matter....do wish my latest had a replaceable battery but with one of those portable batteries you can hook up via the usb that I got as part of the phone package it doesn't really matter any more.
I still have 2 batteries for the S4,sadly I lost the phone many many many years ago.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Samsung Galaxy XCover Pro is my next phone, it's the only nice model I could find with a removable battery. It's rugged and made for people working in the field who need to swap them out. Using a Moto G Power I got from TracFone on eBay. They have it for $124 there, but it comes with a 1 year plan that costs that much, so got a 5,000ma phone for free.

OP
D

Samsung Galaxy XCover Pro is my next phone, it's the only nice model I could find with a removable battery. It's rugged and made for people working in the field who need to swap them out. Using a Moto G Power I got from TracFone on eBay. They have it for $124 there, but it comes with a 1 year plan that costs that much, so got a 5,000ma phone for free.

It's a nice phone. I've looked at it but concluded it's about the same as the 5 or 6 year old LG V20. The X cover will bring you a newer version OS but without the LGs dual DAC.... Sad really

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
My answer has been to use the add on batteries that are a battery and a case. The phone is thicker but in reality it doesn't matter as it still isn't that thick. Gives me triple the use time between charges. The problem here is trying to get a "quality" battery case. 99% come from China and are pretty junky. So, if it craps out real quick, I just return it to Amazon, the largest seller of Chinese junk and fake merchandise in the US. #2 seller of fakes and Chinese junk is Walmart. But that is another discussion.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My answer has been to use the add on batteries that are a battery and a case. The phone is thicker but in reality it doesn't matter as it still isn't that thick. Gives me triple the use time between charges. The problem here is trying to get a "quality" battery case. 99% come from China and are pretty junky. So, if it craps out real quick, I just return it to Amazon, the largest seller of Chinese junk and fake merchandise in the US. #2 seller of fakes and Chinese junk is Walmart. But that is another discussion.

Amazon is the new Sharper Image, only with billionaire Lex Luthor and a space program :)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I own a Samsung Galaxy S5 neo which I bought 5 years ago because it's water proof and has an exchangeable Li battery. Although I unwisely do not adhere to your charging recommendations (despite knowing better) the battery still seems in good shape. I charge it around every 2nd day because I use it for surfing and navigation but not for actual telephone calls (for this I use an old Nokia "dumbphone" with much longer battery life).

Top Bottom