• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs S9 Review (Headphone Adapter)

CaseyBill

So far everything ok on my dc03 and xiaomi redmi phone
Hi - this may be a quirk of how certain Samsung phones implement the Type C connection. If you plug in a type C dongle DAC - for me the DC04 - nothing happens. You have to restart for the dac to get power to connect to the phone. Then if you leave it connected it's fine - even if you shut off the screen. But unplug it and it has about 10secs of power before it powers down and won't connect until you do a reset on the phone.

Jet Black

Hi - this may be a quirk of how certain Samsung phones implement the Type C connection. If you plug in a type C dongle DAC - for me the DC04 - nothing happens. You have to restart for the dac to get power to connect to the phone. Then if you leave it connected it's fine - even if you shut off the screen. But unplug it and it has about 10secs of power before it powers down and won't connect until you do a reset on the phone.
Awful usb c implementation for a well known company indeed. I'm sorry for all your usb-c troubles.

CaseyBill

Awful usb c implementation for a well known company indeed. I'm sorry for all your usb-c troubles.
Yeah - it's almost funny though. I can jump start it off another USB C device then switch it over to the phone. It just needs a tiny bit of charge to wake it up.

ctakim

Forum Donor
My S9 works flawlessly with my iPhone 12 mini (iOS 14.4.1) --- however, the problems with my MacBook Pro 13” (macOS Big Sur 11.2.3) persist, even when connecting via USB-C to USB-A MacDongle, then USB-A to USB-C cable (Belkin). The USB interface with macOS Big Sur appears to be broken.
Customer support from Hidizs is very good: They replied very quickly and I've now downloaded a Firmware updater. However, update is only possible from a Windows PC. Won't have access to one before Monday. Will let everyone know if the Firmware update fixes the problem.

Status now:
- Hardware not defective (works with iOS 14.4.1)
- Incompatible with macOS Big Sur 11.2.3: Stuttering/intermittent sound output
- Sound is great via iPhone: Not flat and lifeless for me at all. Full bodied, goes loud, no hiss if used with in-ear Sennheiser IE-800
what adapter are you using to connect to the iPhone lightning input? I have a USB-C to Lightening adapter that does not work with this unit and cables (tried both directions)! Frustrating!!

Last edited:

Jazz

I am not sure if this was posted or not (I don't remember seeing it when I looked through all 13 pages of comments) but, if you have Catalina on a Mac, and the dongle with USB C will not work in Thunderbolt/USB C, just use the little USB adaptor that came with it or, of course, a USB A to C adaptor cable.
IMG_0561.jpg

But Hidizs should really make this compatible with latest MacOS from at least Catalina with Intel up to Big Sur with M1 Macs.
Also, I see the Hidizs logo only on one end of the included cables. I assume this means plug that end into the dongle. I did, and did not have any issues when first testing it via iOS, Lightning to USB to dongle to 3.5mm to stereo (I have a direct 3.5 input jack on front of my AVR, handy for this kind of test).
Next test: in the car direct to 3.5mm input and powered with the Apple Lightning to USB with lightning to USB to power adaptor.
The longer USB C cable came with some strange, translucent crude on the outside of one side of one of the plugs. About the size of a grain or two of rice in organic shape and like paint thin. I think it was glue. I scraped some off with finger nail but, still a spec on it. Does not seem to impact performance.
Slight update: I pulled the dongle and plugged the 3.5 strait into the Mac. Not good, unless you like coffee with your cream.
Normally I send music to an old Airport Express (also an AKM DAC). So I switched back to that. Apple deserves more credit for the DAC in the Express! Terrific sounding.

Last edited:

ctakim

Forum Donor
I am not sure if this was posted or not (I don't remember seeing it when I looked through all 13 pages of comments) but, if you have Catalina on a Mac, and the dongle with USB C will not work in Thunderbolt/USB C, just use the little USB adaptor that came with it or, of course, a USB A to C adaptor cable.
View attachment 120653
But Hidizs should really make this compatible with latest MacOS from at least Catalina with Intel up to Big Sur with M1 Macs.
Also, I see the Hidizs logo only on one end of the included cables. I assume this means plug that end into the dongle. I did, and did not have any issues when first testing it via iOS, Lightning to USB to dongle to 3.5mm to stereo (I have a direct 3.5 input jack on front of my AVR, handy for this kind of test).
Next test: in the car direct to 3.5mm input and powered with the Apple Lightning to USB with lightning to USB to power adaptor.
The longer USB C cable came with some strange, translucent crude on the outside of one side of one of the plugs. About the size of a grain or two of rice in organic shape and like paint thin. I think it was glue. I scraped some off with finger nail but, still a spec on it. Does not seem to impact performance.
Slight update: I pulled the dongle and plugged the 3.5 strait into the Mac. Not good, unless you like coffee with your cream.
Normally I send music to an old Airport Express (also an AKM DAC). So I switched back to that. Apple deserves more credit for the DAC in the Express! Terrific sounding.

I think the supplied cables are directional and according to a post from the manufacturer on the Amazon website, the HIDIZS logo should go into the computer and the blank cable end should go into the S9 unit. Counterintuitive if you ask me but on my MacBook Pro, it worked in the correct orientation. But still not working on my iPhone. I posted a question on the Amazon website and I was told to use the HIDIZS Lightning to USB-C cable which was an additional $24 USD and, unfortunately, out of stock. I ordered from another overseas website but it will be awhile since it will arrive. Not the product I had hoped for and not sure I've made the right decision vs. using the $9 Apple Lightning to 3.5 mm dongle.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Jazz

I think the supplied cables are directional and according to a post from the manufacturer on the Amazon website, the HIDIZS logo should go into the computer and the blank cable end should go into the S9 unit. Counterintuitive if you ask me but on my MacBook Pro, it worked in the correct orientation.
You are right! If you plug with symbol at computer, it works with USB C but, I can only confirm on a Mac mini M1 at the moment. However… What the heck is the Audio Midi Setup supposed to be? The M1 is full on audiophile compared to my older Catalina 27 inch Retina.
This bodes well for Apple Music.
I tried different settings from CD to this full tilt and, the dongle light did change but, no sound. I know it is working because, the audio first came out of my crappy Dell monitor speakers via HDMI. (Hey, that means Dell puts DACs in monitors. Can Amir test those too? ;-) )
UPDATE: I have audio now. It was human not plugging in a thing issue. But, still, which do you choose on this menu?

Attachments

• Source?.jpg
    Source?.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Com'on gentlemen.
No, really. Rather than eeking out something resembling an accusation over a few one sentence comments, just spell it out. Who do you suppose paid whom? To what end? Is any of this not transparent and in the spirit of ASR independent and objective supposed stance.

I've seen you make similar statements about topping too and the relationship with Amir. So please, state your case fully.

Top Bottom