• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I may be wrong but as far as I can see studying the data and the fitting instructions for the KH 420 (the KH 420 can have the digital input retro-fitted) there is no DSP in any of the Neumann monitors unless it is in the model number. It is just an onboard DAC, so the performance is bound to be the same.
DSP corrections (of some sort) for each model number are only incorporated into the 750 DSP sub and selectable from the app.
The digital models have delay, which is a form of DSP. I realize that this is not what most people talk about when they talk about DSP, so sorry to be pedantic about it.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The digital models have delay, which is a form of DSP. I realize that this is not what most people talk about when they talk about DSP, so sorry to be pedantic about it.
Well I thought I was a pedant but...
Basically the input digital card is just that. There is no A/D/A conversion.
The rest of the speaker is untouched, so it should be no surprise that the specification does not change between the "DSP" model and standard, which was the original point I was answering, or at least trying to.

bbfoto

@amirm
I'm obviously late to the party, but thank you for the excellent review.

I started off in my home studio with the little brother KH-120A monitors and still love them. I am still surprised by their low-end response considering their size. Yes, are obviously a bit dynamically limited, but adding subwoofers helped, of course.

When I was ready to upgrade, I obviously considered the KH-310. As you experienced and tested, it is a fantastic monitor. They were in my Top 3 during my listening comparisons. But ultimately I was swayed by the ATC SCM25A, though part of the "swaying" was a spectacular deal on a "demo" pair. I've been extremely happy with the ATCs.

I've since built some DIY monitors with a 5" BMS concentric driver and 10" Ciare midbass spurred by ErinH's use of them, and am just finalizing the XO. I ended up with the "HE" version of the concentric drivers which adds a shorting ring in the HF transducer for lower inductance/lower distortion. So far, impressed, so I'm close to selling the ATCs. ;)

A friend has the KH-310's, and they still "wow" me as well. I'm sure that I would be very happy if I was "stuck" with them.

Thanks again. It's so good to have objective data to corroborate what our ears hear. :)

hyperplanar

I'm not claiming the digital Neumanns have a full suite of DSP, but it's also not correct to say that they have no DSP. In the future, I'll just say digital.

The thrust of my comment was intended to be that with other manufacturers, it's not uncommon for the specs to be different between analog and digital versions even with the DSP completely disabled, simply because components were swapped or otherwise improved.
Yes, technically, I guess you could call the delay a digital signal processing function. But I think when people talk about a DSP monitor, that is usually taken to mean that the monitor takes digital input directly and/or digitizes the analog input and does the crossover/equalization digitally. The crossover and the equalization in all versions of the KH120/KH310/KH420 are done with analog active electronics. So functionally speaking, the KH310D is literally no different than the KH310A with a DAC (that has a delay function) glued onto its back.

The KH310D was introduced nearly at the same time as the KH310A was. On the other hand, products such as Genelec's 83xx line are separate models introduced much later than the 80xx line--although it's very possible that the chassis and drivers of the 8330 are identical to the 8030, the electronics are completely different. It seems likely to me that Genelec intends for the 83xx line to replace the 80xx line in the long run but keeps the classic analog line around for the time being.

Pritaudio

There is the ma1 Neumann mic for more room correction options.
not sure why the mic has to be connected to the audio interface for the calibration process, and not the pc/Mac.
requires xlr input, which won’t work with the rme adi 2 dac.
shame the signal has to be digitised and then made analogue again where I’m sure the rme has better dac sinad value.
I am considering the kh120 with the kh750 dsp sub.

Pritaudio

I wonder which consumer audio interface are compatible for domestic users who want room correction with hifi.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder which consumer audio interface are compatible for domestic users who want room correction with hifi.
They are all analogue active speakers, so any of the normal room compensation interfaces would work the same on them as any other normal hifi.
There is the option to use Neumann's own version but only in conjunction with the 750 subwoofer and their software.

Pritaudio

Yes it is neumanns own I’m only discussing here.
according to the diagram, an audio interface that accepts xlr microphone for calibration.
that means I won’t be able to use my rme interface for the calibration process.
so what hifi interface will be suitable for the Neumann calibration.
it is not explicit here.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it is neumanns own I’m only discussing here.
according to the diagram, an audio interface that accepts xlr microphone for calibration.
that means I won’t be able to use my rme interface for the calibration process.
so what hifi interface will be suitable for the Neumann calibration.
it is not explicit here.
I see.
The Neumanns are sold as pro monitors.
There will not be a studio on earth which doesn't have a microphone interface with 48v phantom power supply that is connected to their recording and mastering computer.
I have one but realise that most home listeners will not.
Neumanns are not targeted at the domestic hifi market so anybody wanting to use them is going to have to get the sort of audio interface people making and monitoring recordings use.
Mine is a Metric Halo, which is also an audibly transparent DAC. There are much less expensive ones available that would do the job. My daughter uses a Motu M2 in her home studio which seems to work well, certainly enough for room compensation. Or if you have the ADI-2 Pro with an analogue input you could just use a normal microphone pre which has a microphone input with 48v phantom power supply and take its output to the analogue input of the ADI-2. I don't have experience with microphone preamps though, the ones in the Metic Halo I use are good enough.
These speakers are not generally sold to home listeners or via hifi shops. Nor are Genelecs and the other monitors which are such good value for money compared to domestic hifi kit.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Thanks for this review of the Neumann KH 310 A, it confirmed I needed a pair of these. Just installed them. After three minutes of music I have a smile on my face that probably will stay forever.
Lol
Can you elaborate? How do they sound, what did you have before?

JeyElDee

Lol
Can you elaborate? How do they sound, what did you have before?
There is so much detail, fast, still being very enjoyable to listen to. I had (still have) a pair of JBL 4412 and a pair of JBL 4312MKII. I slightly preferred the faster 4312MKII but these have to be combined with a subwoofer (a Canton AS 84.2SC or something like that does the job very well).
Both JBL's give lots of detail but the faster KH310's deliver more information. And they are quet !
Preamp is a McIntosh C46 and McIntosh D100 DAC in all cases. JBL's were driven by a McIntosh MC252.
I will still use the McIntosh/JBL combination, but I am convinced the Neumann's are giving me so much more. No sub needed (but with crossover set on 40Hz there is that extra thing)
Listening distance is just below 2m but when standing at 5m there is still plenty of information. So, the sweet spot is very large. Defenately usefull as pure HiFi too.
Big difference lies in the midrange being much faster and low-volume bass that is more present at low volumes or in recordings where the bass is at low intence. Information is deliverd with full details across the whole bandwith, without becoming "holographic" as with HiFi sometimes is the case.
Now there is a party going on in my ears and everyone is invited. Next : see if the Topping D30 pro could beat the McIntosh D100 :)

Pritaudio

Being class a amps built in do they get hot to the touch. How often do you switch them off.

JeyElDee

Being class a amps built in do they get hot to the touch. How often do you switch them off.
I play at low to moderate volume and there is almost no heat. Warm to the touch after some time.
They remind me of Meyersound HD1 but WITH midrange. (hence, better)

cesare

320 € for those grilles? Please. Safer? Do you play soccer in your listening room?
I got a pair of KH 310 but I left out the grilles.They should be acoustically neutral, as Neumann says.

respice finem

Major Contributor
In my case there is sometimes a remote possibility for a driver to be "shot" by a flying ball or so, better be safe than sorry. Two nice side effects: Lazy me doesn't need to dust off the front, and the front is finally black instead of "dark mouse", sorry "anthracite". ;)
Expensive as sh*t, yes they are, but at least I don't spend money on "voodoo stuff".
Oh, and I have such a grille on my center speaker on top of the TV (which center was almost same price, together with its own grille) :D so it will also fit visually https://www.nubert.de/nuline-ws-14/p1290/?category=3

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
In my case there is sometimes a remote possibility for a driver to be "shot" by a flying ball or so, better be safe than sorry. Two nice side effects: Lazy me doesn't need to dust off the front, and the front is finally black instead of "dark mouse", sorry "anthracite". ;)
Expensive as sh*t, yes they are, but at least I don't spend money on "voodoo stuff".
Oh, and I have such a grille on my center speaker on top of the TV (which center was almost same price, together with its own grille) :D so it will also fit visually https://www.nubert.de/nuline-ws-14/p1290/?category=3
How are you liking the sound so far?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom