• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

Daverz

Major Contributor
For those using D30Pro in pre-amp mode, is there any noise when changing sample rate or when turning the unit on or off while the amp is on? (Issues with my E30).

TDD

AS:

Good points. This is why I'm not too broken about saying goodbye to my faithful preamp. One less thing between my DA and amp.

Question is now...which to choose? I just can't help but feel the RME is not just another me-too with a race to who has the best specs. I feel there is craft there and who doesn't love a unit that is well supported and a myriad of tweaks to boot?

Kev.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Question is now...which to choose? I just can't help but feel the RME is not just another me-too with a race to who has the best specs. I feel there is craft there and who doesn't love a unit that is well supported and a myriad of tweaks to boot?
Depends on your budget and whether you need just a DAC with volume control or have use for the RME's DSP features as well (parametric EQ, loudness etc.), the built-in very decent headphone amplifier, or other pro features like clock sync to SPDIF even during USB playback. I'd suggest to RTFM, you wouldn't really get around it if you got the RME anyway.

Last edited:

hotdogsandwich

Forum Donor
My unit arrived today. FW was 2.43. Updated to 2.44.

XLR > XLR ...... driving my HE6se much better than E30 .... high gain, about 11 on vol knob compared to 3 o'clock on E30.

Even though Apos shows no "Pure DAC application" there is indeed DAC and PRE mode available. Mine is set to DAC (as seen in photo). Default filter = 2.

Really happy with the result so far. Don't hear any difference from E30 or D50s. Totally transparent, black background.

View attachment 119619View attachment 119620View attachment 119624
New at this, how/what/where did you get the meters? I need this, maybe more than air.

TDD

No budget really. Just rock solid performance and good build. No line of slight remote. Big volume display that I can see from afar. Something that I can trust being connected directly to my Krell 700cx.

Minus a preamp now, having some ability to tweak is a good thing. I like to know what is going on past a LED or two.

I am continuing to read the forums and manuals.

chocomamey

Anyone who has already their Topping D30 Pro maybe need some time to do the "break in" so audio could sound even better ,but I wanna
know how the actual sound compares to SMSL SU-9 in flac and dsd. There arent any reviews on youtube yet of the actual sound.

alekksander

Anyone who has already their Topping D30 Pro maybe need some time to do the "break in" so audio could sound even better ,but I wanna
know how the actual sound compares to SMSL SU-9 in flac and dsd. There arent any reviews on youtube yet of the actual sound.
sorry to inform, but it seems You might be on the wrong forum. folks here are free from superstition believes or having faith in magic, but relay purely on numbers and facts. and numbers are showings facts — such thing as „break in” nor „burning in” does not exist and if any deviation actually shows up it is probably from aging of electronics (should not appear overnight if company has any quality control). this if detected indicates of rather poor quality electronics or most likely a major failure ahead.

Last edited:

chocomamey

sorry to inform, but it seems You might be on the wrong forum. folks here are free from superstition believes or having faith in magic, but relay purely on numbers and facts.
Yes.Maybe some dont believe in break ins and what not, but dac models can be compared 1 to 1 and see what model is warmer, colder sound,punchier,better soundstage etc ..cause if not why spend 399+ dollars if a topping e30 from 150 does the job ?

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Yes.Maybe some dont believe in break ins and what not, but dac models can be compared 1 to 1 and see what model is warmer, colder sound etc ..cause if not why spend 400+ dollars if a topping e30 from 150 does the job ?
Knobs, jacks, power supplies, chrome finish, knobs . . .
Did I say knobs?

alekksander

Yes.Maybe some dont believe in break ins and what not, but dac models can be compared 1 to 1 and see what model is warmer, colder sound,punchier etc ..cause if not why spend 399+ dollars if a topping e30 from 150 does the job ?
Knobs, jacks, power supplies, chrome finish, knobs . . .
Did I say knobs?
for me it's that d30pro is one of the best looking devices with both rca and xlr output. if e30 or upcoming „d10pro” would have had that, i'd go for it instead (no coax, no opt, no knob, just usb input, that charming display and two selectabe outputs for me please). also that SINAD makes me sleep better.

maybe opamp makes some differences? never gave it a deeper thought.

hotdogsandwich

Forum Donor
I’ve had my D30pro for about a week now. Initially it sounded a bit flat, so I’ve been aging it in a bourbon barrel, and so far its got some really nice notes of vanilla and caramel with a pleasant open soundstage. I also wiped down the XLR connections with a light coating of my secret mix of Motul and Redline synthetic oil.

chocomamey

for me it's that d30pro is one of the best looking devices with both rca and xlr output. if e30 or upcoming „d10pro” would have had that, i'd go for it instead (no coax, no opt, no knob, just usb input, that charming display and two selectabe outputs for me please). also that SINAD makes me sleep better.

maybe opamp makes some differences? never gave it a deeper thought.

Im in a mental war between D30 pro and smsl Su-9 .Im a physical music collector and lover of old school stereo : fluance turntable,tape deck,cd player and came from a place where I had d10 when released,then change it to e30 and maybe notice a slight better chance in sound because Akm chip ..and now im looking for a new choosing.Thought about XLR output but I dont think a digital amplifier like SMSL DA8s would be better than my vintage Sony TA-f707 ES series tank amplifier soo I dont need XLR..and many audiophiles say MQA is not that great and I dont use streaming services neither.. so maybe D30 pro would be a good choice.Also I have a Hiby R2 dap and that can get along well with UAT codec (24/192 bluetooth) with SU-9.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is anyone else bothered by this DAC's display? The washed out edges/unevenness looks cheap.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’ve had my D30pro for about a week now. Initially it sounded a bit flat, so I’ve been aging it in a bourbon barrel, and so far its got some really nice notes of vanilla and caramel with a pleasant open soundstage. I also wiped down the XLR connections with a light coating of my secret mix of Motul and Redline synthetic oil.

If you play classic tracks (1970's), try some Blendzall on those connectors, really smooths out the top end. But don't use too much or the bottom end will get "fat" & "blubbery". "Foul" as they say.

Top Bottom