• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

500W (4ohm) GaN Class D Modules - Starkrimson Ultra

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking good!

Regarding PCB+BOM version: are the components readily available via Farnell, DigiKey or Mouser? What about solderability? Looks like IC4 and IC4 might be BGA, or are those just thermal pads?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Looking good!

Regarding PCB+BOM version: are the components readily available via Farnell, DigiKey or Mouser? What about solderability? Looks like IC4 and IC4 might be BGA, or are those just thermal pads?

All components are available from digikey/mouser. The cost of parts for two (2) modules comes to around $420 USD.

There are no BGAs, those are thermal pads. Proper soldering of the GaN FETs is very important, you can review this document:
https://gansystems.com/wp-content/u...ns-for-GaNPX®-Packaged-Devices-Rev-190806.pdf

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
All components are available from digikey/mouser. The cost of parts for two (2) modules comes to around $420 USD.

Great! Thanks for the price indication. That's really quite a big cost for such a small PCB. Obviously only needing a few parts per item does not help here.

There are no BGAs, those are thermal pads. Proper soldering of the GaN FETs is very important, you can review this document:
https://gansystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/GN011-Soldering-Recommendations-for-GaNPX®-Packaged-Devices-Rev-190806.pdf

That looks quite tricky to do properly with a home solder iron + hot air gun. Does the PCB include a stencil?

Anyway, some good info in help determining if it's worth the risk and effort in soldering it yourself :)

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
That's really quite a big cost for such a small PCB.
Lots of high-quality parts. The opamps alone are $90 out of the $420.

That looks quite tricky to do properly with a home solder iron + hot air gun. Does the PCB include a stencil?
Stencil not included. I can provide a stencil drawing so you can have one made.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
For those of you that like op-amp rolling and are purchasing the bare board option, op-amps U1 and U2 can be changed to something else that you may prefer. They are just used as buffer stages for the XLR and RCA inputs. So changing these op-amps to something else is low risk.

However, since the amplifier is DC coupled make sure your op-amp has a very low input offset voltage (Vos)

The package is SOIC-8 with a thermal pad. However, the thermal pad is not needed for all op-amps and can be left unconnected.

Op-Amp.PNG

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
I am extending preorder pricing until February 15th.

This to allow me to test the initial batch of modules that have been delayed in manufacturing.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Plans to send a production unit to @amirm when ready?
I have other equipment I can send to him like PecanPi USB/SPDIF, he has not responded to my messages. So no.

In any case, why do you think his results will be different than mine? We use the same equipment.

EB1000

If switching frequency is below 1MHz, then GaN will give you no audible benefits besides increased efficiency...

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Top Bottom