• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Unicore

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure what you mean; earlier in the thread, I shared I'd been told by KEF the subwoofer could reach 80dB at 20Hz anechoic, and then I estimated about 90dB in-room based on past experience. This document suggests 85ish anechoic and 98ish in room. So the whitepaper shows better results than I'd been told. (Edit: what is "good enough" is another matter that's been discussed a lot already :))

It's more like 70 dB at 20hz lol. The sub is only suitable for "low listening level". Anything above that will compress the low end.

Main problem with this design is that they chased memes like "11hz" instead of sound quality. Ported with 30hz tune would be a lot more output.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's more like 70 dB at 20hz lol. The sub is only suitable for "low listening level". Anything above that will compress the low end.

Main problem with this design is that they chased memes like "11hz" instead of sound quality. Ported with 30hz tune would be a lot more output.

Where are you getting 70dB from? The whitepaper clearly shows otherwise. The only thing now is to verify.

Senior NEET Engineer

Where are you getting 70dB from? The whitepaper clearly shows otherwise. The only thing now is to verify.

The green line

index.php

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The green line

index.php

Ah, gotcha. I think we're interpreting that graph differently, imo max output at any given frequency is what most matters. But yes there's obviously significant compression going on as you listen louder. Though there will always be when you use DSP to enhance the low end, unless you limit overall output altogether to only where the bass maxes out.

I know a lot of people prioritize output and the lowest distortion, but if listening levels work for me, I'd rather get the extra extension. 'Very good' output in the 30s or 40s is not preferable to 'good enough' output in the 20s in my experience (I found the KEF kube 8b kind of underwhelming for this reason), but I listen to a lot of sub-bass heavy music. ymmv, which is why it's good to have options!

whazzup

Nice, Whitepaper has been released, phase 1 completed.
Next is Phase 2: having someone test it with CEA-2010 standard.
Phase 3: some in room measurements from users, stock vs corrected with room eq.

Yes, camping for in-room measurements in small rooms, like 100 sq foot ones.

whazzup

To be honest, I'm also loving how this new small sub, by virtue of its close association with the LS50s, is changing the marketing narrative of 'audiophile reviewers' and 'musical' audio systems.

Now they have to be confronted with, and try to explain things like '11hz', 'crossover', 'frequency rolloff', 'room modes/gains', 'bass management', while still maintaining their typical 'measurements don't matter, your ears / wallet most important' rhetoric.

Waiting for some reviewer to imbue the KC62 with audio-mythical qualities, like it is 'more musical' or 'fast'.

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The KEF sub is more or less a 10" cube. I wonder how this compares with similar size sub with larger diameter drivers. For example, this one with dual 8" drivers is also a 10" cube and you can get them cheap on ebay. It would be interesting to compare performance with the 5X more expensive KEF.
https://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/babyboomer/

o2so

Forum Donor
I just had a quick demo at the local dealer. In a pretty small room at more than decent volume levels (didn't measure but would have been at least 80-85db). Quite impressive.
The usual sub track, James Blake's limit to your love, did not lack anything. Then I tried Nick Cave's into your arms, which has some decent low bass in the chorus, and again everything was there.
All subjective yes, but better than nothing until some in room measurements become available.

Last edited:

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got this yesterday and got to try them today. No calibration or FR adjustments made yet, so there's a big of disclaimer of expectation bias and new toy bias. But a few things appear to be obvious:

1) TINY. And so heavy for its size. I think it's even smaller in person than I expected it to be because the slight curvature makes its visual footprint even smaller. It's about half the size of the HDI-1600 bookshelf speakers I'm currently testing, for example.

2) KEF's Kube 8B, which is a bigger than the KC62, is not in the same league. The 8B just had so little energy below 35Hz or so. Maybe you could've EQ'd it to compete, but out of the box for TV and bass-heavy music, the KC62 is very, very obviously the better sub.

It's not fair to compare to the KC62 to the SB-1000 yet, which doesn't fit where I have the KC62 (tucked neatly in my TV console). But where they are right now, the KC62 sounds better.

3) The KC62 definitely gets louder than I need/want in my apartment without sounding 'compressed.' This obviously won't apply for everyone. The sub is currently about 7 feet away from me, a few inches from a wall but not a corner.

4) I ran a few test frequencies off of YouTube, Music and walked around my living room. Again, not accounting for peaks and dips, the lowest frequency I can clearly feel is 17Hz. or so 20 hz is comfortably audible. I can actually feel down to like 13 Hz if I pump up the volume, but it doesn't seem to be terribly useful. That's fine by me.

More to come.

o2so

Forum Donor
I got this yesterday and got to try them today. No calibration or FR adjustments made yet, so there's a big of disclaimer of expectation bias and new toy bias. But a few things appear to be obvious:

1) TINY. And so heavy for its size. I think it's even smaller in person than I expected it to be because the slight curvature makes its visual footprint even smaller. It's about half the size of the HDI-1600 bookshelf speakers I'm currently testing, for example.

2) KEF's Kube 8B, which is a bigger than the KC62, is not in the same league. The 8B just had so little energy below 35Hz or so. Maybe you could've EQ'd it to compete, but out of the box for TV and bass-heavy music, the KC62 is very, very obviously the better sub.

It's not fair to compare to the KC62 to the SB-1000 yet, which doesn't fit where I have the KC62 (tucked neatly in my TV console). But where they are right now, the KC62 sounds better.

3) The KC62 definitely gets louder than I need/want in my apartment without sounding 'compressed.' This obviously won't apply for everyone. The sub is currently about 7 feet away from me, a few inches from a wall but not a corner.

4) I ran a few test frequencies off of YouTube, Music and walked around my living room. Again, not accounting for peaks and dips, the lowest frequency I can clearly feel is 17Hz. or so 20 hz is comfortably audible. I can actually feel down to like 13 Hz if I pump up the volume, but it doesn't seem to be terribly useful. That's fine by me.

More to come.
thank you , very helpful as usual. May I ask what TV unit you are using and if the vibrations from the sub make it rattle at all?

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thank you , very helpful as usual. May I ask what TV unit you are using and if the vibrations from the sub make it rattle at all?

I use a projector, so doesn't really apply

whazzup

More to come.

I was going to lament about the lack of independent measurements anywhere, even though the sub has been available for sale for a couple weeks now. Waiting with popcorn and beer ready!

Kachda

Forum Donor

More to come.
Damn it man, you’re going to make me spend more money.

Mosiris

Damn, going to wait for few more user reviews of KC62 and maybe 1-2 pro reviews before biting the bullet. The only thing I don't get is why they don't have the color matched options with the new KEF LS50. I would love to get a matching navy to the speakers.

stren

Forum Donor
An interesting comparison to me would be LS50WII vs LSX + KC62. Similar price in the end, similar lifestyle products. Obviously the kc62 will push lower than the LS50WII, but can the LSX blend well with the sub and fill an average room without too much distortion? I'm surprised all the marketing photos show the KC62 alongside the LS50, I haven't seen any with the X, but maybe that would make it look bigger.

Kachda

Forum Donor
I guess Sound and Vision has ditched measurements in order to appease manufacturers? Although the description of the exploration into the sub's limits seems informative enough.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/kef-kc62-subwoofer
Don’t they do their testing at Canada NRC? If so, they may not have tested it because their anechoix chamber is only accurate above 100hz I believe, and secondly I’m not even sure that NRC chamber is open for use.
@napilopez has for for testing I think, so we may see ground plane measurements soon.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don’t they do their testing at Canada NRC? If so, they may not have tested it because their anechoix chamber is only accurate above 100hz I believe, and secondly I’m not even sure that NRC chamber is open for use.
@napilopez has for for testing I think, so we may see ground plane measurements soon.

That's soundstage network that uses the NRC (although what you mentioned is true about that as well). Sound and Vision used to include some measurements from their reviews but AFAIK has abandoned them of late.

I will say the review echoes my impressions very closely so far. Very Preliminary measurements appear to be roughly in line with KEFs.

Top Bottom