• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Unicore

prmfeddema

Yes - and it look great (without the grill's on the side even better). Initial comparison seems to favor the SVS 3000 micro. I'm holding back on the KC62 purchase - especially given the discussion on specs. Guess i want to hear them side by side first. To me money is not a limiting factor but sound quality, size and color are.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if this has been posted before, review with measurements.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Not sure if this has been posted before, review with measurements.
Very cool to see the Klipple test. Thank to AudioXpress, one of only a handful of sites with regular access to a K.NFS.

The dedication to innovation and the tech is super cool on these little subs. Still, like most of these ultra mini subs, they only make sense if you really need something small. No way I would ever pay $1500 for one as these seem very meaningfully out performed by the better $500-600 typically sized subs let alone a typical well respected $1500 sub. Though I suppose for some this is the perfect unit due to, tiny, cool design and limited actual bass needs and $$ not really a top factor or an issue.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
The interesting part of this subwoofer is that it can be scaled up. It actually has in the form of the KC92 and hopefully, bigger in the future. :p

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I probably should have been more specific. Flat from 250hz to 70hz for £1500 seems a reasonable wish given the size of the sub.
I kind of already poo-pooed this performance for the price myself as well, though I wanted to note that subs generally don't need to be flat to have a flattish in room.
With increasing room gain, in the smallish sized room this is intended for it likely has 5-10db of gain by 45hrz and a further 5-10db by 25-30hrz.
So in a small room it may actually have some pretty flat and decent bass. (of course the best $500/600 normal sized subs will beat this, even some very inexpensive subs)

With room gain in a smallish or medium room, 45hrz could be 100-105db & 25hrz 100-110db vs the 101db 100hrz reference level.

So therefore it likely is flat where more powerful subs actually have significant boost. A sub actually flat anechoic to 20hrz may have 10-20db of room gain above flat in situ. I personally want the boost and like my bass boosted above flat by about 5-6db by 45hrz and maybe a couple more by 20hrz.

For the lazy here is the Klipple tested, simulated anechoic, response. Courtesy of Audioxpress.com
1653069142069.png

For comparison here is the Wirecutter's testing of subs $400-800. These are standard subs but you can see the maximum output levels. You can also see it very normal for subs to have much more maximum output in the midbass and as well these subs will deeply benefit from typical room gain. The test host is a long term measurement and blind session based reviewer.
Generally in basic terms all of these outperform the KEF, they all are much bigger and perhaps ugly.
The winner of this test
1653075084274.png

And some others in the test
1653075131153.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom