• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another vintage "Monkey Coffin" loudspeaker reboot/update/retread: McIntosh brings back their ML-1

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Bringing you yesterday's products tomorrow seems more and more to be the default business plan for "new" loudspeakers.

ml1-mk-ii-front-pair.jpg

Some entertaining chatter about this "new" product announcement, mostly amongst the Mac faithful, over @ AK (if you're easily amused and/or need some light entertainment today):

A photo of the original (in its ML-1c morph, and clearly refoamed), with the required (IIRC?) active EQ module from the thread above.

1684510086706.png

I guess Mac put little perforated sub-grilles over the dome drivers which are not present in the examples shown above.

refurbished-custom-mcintosh-ml1-cs-from-the-70s-v0-vbo2dl0jg7ra1.jpg

image source: https://www.reddit.com/r/vintageaudio/comments/128c8za

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm hopeful but not optimistic that the driver array was optimised to form a coherent beam with minimal lobing. The CtC spacing relative to driver diameters should make good summing possible, but will require a ton of optimisation.

hex168

I wonder about the effect of the cabinet lip and the grille frame.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder about the effect of the cabinet lip and the grille frame.
The effect is that the marketing department said it sells better. ;)

OP
mhardy6647

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I wonder if there is a limit to the bounds of this retro-loudspeaker thing?
hmmm...
Maybe it's time to bring back the Gale GS401?

Gale_speakers_bg.jpg

Perhaps a Looking for Mr. Goodbar or an Annie Hall signature edition? ;):cool::rolleyes::facepalm:

The Gales were actually pretty darned good sounding loudspeakers.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Vintage is cult. I'm having a pair of 70's retro style glasses made right now. :)
By the way, there is also such a box from MAGNAT in this retro style. With 95 dB/W/m even sufficient efficiency for tube amplifiers. And not so expensive.

Magnat_Transpuls_1500_Opener.jpg

Last edited:

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Still waiting for these to come back in style. ~105 dB at 5 watts!

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I once had a pair of original vintage Altec A7 Vott in our living room that were my main speakers for a while. I mean, around the 2000s you could still buy a reissue like the one in my picture. I briefly considered such new ones, but transporting them from the US was too much of a hassle for me. In Germany these were not available.

a71.jpg

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I like them from look alone. 12" woofer but yeah that layout for the mids and tweeter is kinda off putting in ways. It maybe has issues in a spin. But a 4 way is boss!
ml1-mk-ii-exploded-view.jpg

ml1-mk-ii-crossover-03.jpg

OP
mhardy6647

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It does look like they went for maximum audiophile cred* with what appear to be Dayton (Bennic) capacitors! Whoo-hoo! ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Everyone needs 511s in their music room.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be nice if their marketing department learnt to write proper English:-

"Externally, the new ML1 evokes memories of when the original ML1 was available – a time when there were less distractions, and it was easier to listen to music and become immersed in it. The classic looks of the ML1 rekindles the mood of that era so you can relax and appreciate your favorite songs."

Fewer distractions, please!

S

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I once had a pair of original vintage Altec A7 Vott in our living room that were my main speakers for a while. I mean, around the 2000s you could still buy a reissue like the one in my picture. I briefly considered such new ones, but transporting them from the US was too much of a hassle for me. In Germany these were not available.

View attachment 286623
I had a band member who put 2 side by side in the back of his Dodge van for playing 8 track tapes (in the previous century, mid 70s)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Love to see some of their line array systems come back...

kevinh

Had a friend with a full Mac system in the late 70's ML-2, 2300 amp, the EQ and c28 Pre. Lots of bass not the speakers were not the greatest.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like they are simply marketing to most people on here and elsewhere: At best, They want the best Model T available. At worst, it just needs to give them the "vibes" of a model T, performance be damned.

I get it if the speakers are in the hundreds of dollars range.

In the several of thousands of dollars range, it just seems like lazy design and I don't understand why people despise state of the art speakers and instead choose to purchase things designed to be inferior.

-Parallel walls
-Vertices
-Wood

I don't understand the fascination with these unless it's because of their aesthetics... And even then I don't understand that, because it seems you could pay an artist $12,000 to make something in a finish other than "blandish", out of woods other than what you could find in your backyard.

Top Bottom