• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Emotiva DAC, how will it test?

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Pretty good feature set, including analog in via RCA or XLR. How will it test is the question?

OP
D

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I did not buy, just saw the post on their web site today. I have an XDA-1 and a Stealth DC-1 Dac. Time for an upgrade, but even though I have those two DACs I am not an Emotiva fanboy. Lots out there for $699, thought the analog in is very nice, and I use it on my Stealth

staticV3

Master Contributor
here are the specs listed in the user manual:
Screenshot 2023-07-29 230500.jpg

Looks pretty meh.

Chazz6

For that price and no equalization, I would think about the higher-priced RME ADI-2 FS which has capable equalization and really good DSP based on the company background in audio products for musicians and professionals.

tjf

Pretty good feature set, including analog in via RCA or XLR. How will it test is the question?

Wow, they finally weaned themselves off the Analog Devices AD1955 DAC! Wonder who finally made them realize that the XDA and DC-1 units and their old AD1955 implementations were "past it"

unpluggged

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Ten years later and their new product is no better than the old one when one examines the specifications side-by-side. While the addition of the extra analog input, the HDMI input, and the ability to play DSD formats may have some value to a limited group of customers, this new model is simply a 'refresh' of the old design and far from SOTA.

XDA 2XDA 3
Frequency Response:
20 Hz – 20 kHz +/- 0.1 dB (44/16)
20 Hz – 40 kHz +/- 0.1 dB, -3 dB @ 80 kHz (192/24)
Frequency Response:
20 Hz to 20 kHz +/-0.1 dB (44.1k and above sample rates)
THD+N (all sample rates):
< 0.0025%
THD:
< 0.0035% (16 bits).
< 0.002% (24 bits).
Signal to Noise (S/N) Ratio:
> 96 dB (44/16)
> 113 dB (192/24)
Signal to Noise:
> 95 dB (44.1 kHz sample rate).
> 110 dB (48 kHz and above sample rates).
IMD:
< 0.0025% (44/16)
< 0.0005% (192/24)
IMD:
< 0.0025% (44.1k sample rate).
< 0.0005% (48 kHz and above sample rates)
Crosstalk:
< 100 dB (44/16)
< 113 dB (192/24)
Crosstalk:
< 100 dB

What happened to you, Emotiva? You used-to-be cool.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
well its $700 full sized dac sold by a western company from tonewinner

i suspect tonewinner got sick of making dacs w/ AD parts!

I expect that this new dac would be just fine matched up to their amps and preamps... no one truly expected this to rival a SMSL or Topping right? not that it matters

staticV3

Master Contributor
I expect that this new dac would be just fine matched up to their amps and preamps... no one truly expected this to rival a SMSL or Topping right? not that it matters
According to the specs, the XDA-3 loses 15dB SNR just by feeding it 44.1 instead of 48kHz.
That the XDA-3 won't challenge products from Topping, SMSL etc. is clear, but this seems downright broken.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
According to the specs, the XDA-3 loses 15dB SNR just by feeding it 44.1 instead of 48kHz.
That the XDA-3 won't challenge products from Topping, SMSL etc. is clear, but this seems downright broken.

I think that is them just being lazy in the new spec sheet by omitting they are comparing 44/16 to 48+/24. Either way doesn't inspire confidence.

I really despise specifications like this that omit critical parameters. Is the bandwidth the same for the different sampling frequency SNR specs? What output level are they using for THD and SNR? Is SNR a-weighted or unweighted? It all just comes off as lazy and uninformed.

Michael

Last edited:

jdhiro

I feel like I'll probably get flamed for this, but I bought both the RME2 and Topping D90 DACs (which are heralded as the standard bearers around here) and was ultimately disappointed with the listening experience of both (although they were both ultra "clean" in the sterile sense). I wouldn't disregard a DAC based on published specs, until seeing both the measured specs and listening impressions.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Not a fan of this company anymore, but the feature set is good and price seems decent given the analog inputs. Unfortunately it is incredibly ugly. Emotiva really needs to ditch the blue thing. You can't read it with such low contrast.

Chazz6

...disappointed with the listening experience...
The RME has a five-band equalizer in it. You might not use it for room correction. You might not compensate for bumps and dips in the frequency response of your speakers. But you can use it for fancy bass and treble control, where you choose the frequency range and the amount and rapidity of the boost or attenuation.

jdhiro

The RME has a five-band equalizer in it. You might not use it for room correction. You might not compensate for bumps and dips in the frequency response of your speakers. But you can use it for fancy bass and treble control, where you choose the frequency range and the amount and rapidity of the boost or attenuation.
I’m not talking about issues with bass or treble control. Both DACs sounded lifeless to me. This was paired with a Purifi amp and Bowers 804 D3 speakers.

Agreed with the above comment on the design.

Also, which other DAC offers eARC input short of Matrix Audio?

Timmeon

Do you drive a Dodge Ram? Well oil your beard, grab a glass of Old Forrester bourbon and really blow your ponytail back as soon as you can find the little volume button.

jdhiro

Please, continue making jokes at my expense. The point simply is that I spent at least 2 weeks with each of those DACs and ultimately did not enjoy listening to either of them enough to keep them.

I totally get that there are other factors, and they are generally well designed DACs.

Top Bottom