• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Raspberry Pi as a music server

michaelb56

I know you've been asked and answered a thousand times, but, I am new to this. Been doing a lot of reading and listening on this subject. I want to setup a Wifi, no cables, music streaming system in my house. My CD's have been ripped to my tablet and plan to have about 4 speakers.

My plan:-
Raspberry Pi 4 - 2GB Ram
Micro SD card - 32GB
DAC and/or Amp
Volumio/MOOde etc.

What I would like to know is;

Do I need to install an operating system on to the SD card, and if so which one?, before installing Volumio/MOOde etc or do they include an OS?
If I install an internal DAC - Allo Boos, HIFIBerry, will I also need an Amp? In either scenario, what would you reccommend?

Download the respective app to the tablet.

Aldoszx

Volumio, M00de are all operating systems !
You have to install, only one of them, following the installation instruction from their sites.
If you install a HAT DAC or USB DAC you will ned an amp for passive speakers.
If you have active speakers, you don't need an amp !

michaelb56

Thank you, that clears up some confusion, re - Volumio etc. I'm planning on haaving active speakers.
What is a good HAT DAC?, or they much alike?

Aldoszx

Thank you, that clears up some confusion, re - Volumio etc. I'm planning on haaving active speakers.
What is a good HAT DAC?, or they much alike?

If you want a HAT DAC, I think Hifiberry is good enough.
But, I would recommend USB DAC and a good case for RPi4, like Akasa Pi-4 Pro or Argon One.
RPi4 runs hotter than older boards and you will need a good cooling for it.
Using a HAT, could make it even hotter.

TheWalkman

I know you've been asked and answered a thousand times, but, I am new to this. Been doing a lot of reading and listening on this subject. I want to setup a Wifi, no cables, music streaming system in my house. My CD's have been ripped to my tablet and plan to have about 4 speakers.

My plan:-
Raspberry Pi 4 - 2GB Ram
Micro SD card - 32GB
DAC and/or Amp
Volumio/MOOde etc.

What I would like to know is;
t.

michaelb,

One point that needs to be emphasized: just try it. Buy a spare sd card (or two, which are around $5 these days for a 32 gig card) and try several different streamers. If you don’t like picore over rune or Volumio, etc. pop your original sd card back in the pi, reboot and your good to go with the app you like best.

For some time, I put off experimenting with Raspberry Pi’s thinking it would be more work than fun. I have found just the opposite: with so much great documentation on the web and many, many YouTube videos available, it you hit a speed bump, it won’t send you careening off a cliff.

As a total aside, I remember how tough it was, as a kid in the mid-Seventies to try and get some time on a computer - mainframes in those days- to learn how to program. Now thanks to the Raspberry Pi Foundation and other manufacturers like Arduino, a kid can literally buy a fully functioning, single board computer with a second hand monitor and keyboard for well less than $100. It’s simply amazing to me. And the documentation to get started with this is written at a level that, literally, is aimed at a 10 year old audience.

Unlike some simple Basic programs we were writing back in the day, today’s budding hacker can attach their Pi to a bread board, microcontroller, camera, or a $25 DAC, etc. and do things we couldn’t have even imagined when we were in 9th grade.

Anytime i see a kid wasting time playing video games, I think of how much they could learn spending that same time in front of a Pi, building a streamer or interfacing to an Arduino (or the just released $4 Pi Pico board.)

And frankly, that’s why the Pi Foundation came about.

Per Wikipedia:

The lack of programmable hardware for children – the sort of hardware we used to have in the 1980s – is undermining the supply of eighteen-year-olds who know how to program, so that's a problem for universities, and then it's undermining the supply of 21 year olds who know how to program, and that's causing problems for industry.
Co-founder Eben Upton in 2012
[10]

And to bring this back to the topic at hand, I think of the absolutely incredible audio system a teenager can build around a Pi based Volumio streamer, a $75 Class D amp, a pair of nice $200 to $300 speakers and a cellphone, literally literally result in system with better fidelity than anything money could buy in 1975 (compared to a poppy turntable or hissy cassette deck like we listened to.)

As far as technology goes, it‘s a great time to be a fifteen year old kid. Or a sixty year old kid at heart.

michaelb56

michaelb,

One point that needs to be emphasized: just try it. Buy a spare sd card (or two, which are around $5 these days for a 32 gig card) and try several different streamers. If you don’t like picore over rune or Volumio, etc. pop your original sd card back in the pi, reboot and your good to go with the app you like best.

For some time, I put off experimenting with Raspberry Pi’s thinking it would be more work than fun. I have found just the opposite: with so much great documentation on the web and many, many YouTube videos available, it you hit a speed bump, it won’t send you careening off a cliff.

As a total aside, I remember how tough it was, as a kid in the mid-Seventies to try and get some time on a computer - mainframes in those days- to learn how to program. Now thanks to the Raspberry Pi Foundation and other manufacturers like Arduino, a kid can literally buy a fully functioning, single board computer with a second hand monitor and keyboard for well less than $100. It’s simply amazing to me. And the documentation to get started with this is written at a level that, literally, is aimed at a 10 year old audience.

Unlike some simple Basic programs we were writing back in the day, today’s budding hacker can attach their Pi to a bread board, microcontroller, camera, or a $25 DAC, etc. and do things we couldn’t have even imagined when we were in 9th grade.

Anytime i see a kid wasting time playing video games, I think of how much they could learn spending that same time in front of a Pi, building a streamer or interfacing to an Arduino (or the just released $4 Pi Pico board.)

And frankly, that’s why the Pi Foundation came about.

Per Wikipedia:

The lack of programmable hardware for children – the sort of hardware we used to have in the 1980s – is undermining the supply of eighteen-year-olds who know how to program, so that's a problem for universities, and then it's undermining the supply of 21 year olds who know how to program, and that's causing problems for industry.
Co-founder Eben Upton in 2012
[10]

And to bring this back to the topic at hand, I think of the absolutely incredible audio system a teenager can build around a Pi based Volumio streamer, a $75 Class D amp, a pair of nice $200 to $300 speakers and a cellphone, literally literally result in system with better fidelity than anything money could buy in 1975 (compared to a poppy turntable or hissy cassette deck like we listened to.)

As far as technology goes, it‘s a great time to be a fifteen year old kid. Or a sixty year old kid at heart.

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want a HAT DAC, I think Hifiberry is good enough.
But, I would recommend USB DAC and a good case for RPi4, like Akasa Pi-4 Pro or Argon One.
RPi4 runs hotter than older boards and you will need a good cooling for it.
Using a HAT, could make it even hotter.
Definitely recommend at good case-pi4s can run hot. I use an akasa gem and it’s under 50 c in normal running which is great for a fanless case.

m8o

Forum Donor
If anyone is interested (especially new RPi users asking the same questions we asked too early in our journey) about the effect of WIFI on SINAD. I just stumbled on this 4.5 year old article. Tho this was an article about both RPi2 vs. 3 and the HifiBerry DAC+ Pro... What I liked about it is the re-measurement taken with and without wireless 'on'. Conclusion? It makes no discernible difference in noise or distortion. See Part V.6. :

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/10/measurements-raspberry-pi-3-hifiberry.html

Last edited:

tsoltan

Hi ALL!
Could you please suggest:
I need a network streamer to run spotify connect and tidal connect. Tidal for me and spotify for my girlfriend. I don't need to play songs from nas or etc. I just want max quality from streaming services.
Based on all info that I read - Would it be enough?
raspberry pi zero
16gb micro sd card
power supply for pi
I want mqa and don't want to spend over 100$ on dac - so I have 3 options:
- dragonfly black
- helm bolt
- Beam 2SE
Wil the mqa work with tidal connect?
It would be great if I can connect my tv to the same dac somehow. Maybe you know some options?

Last edited:

Thalis

A RPi4 would be a better solution but those 3 DACs in your list do not have multiple inputs. You need something like a Topping E30 for the Pi and TV to connect to it (USB and Toslink)

Edit: Even a 8GB card would suffice

Thalis

A RPi4 would be a better solution but those 3 DACs in your list do not have multiple inputs. You need something like a Topping E30 for the Pi and TV to connect to it (USB and Toslink)

Edit: Even a 8GB card would suffice

Edit 2: Just a Pi4 with 2GB RAM would also suffice

ctakim

Forum Donor
I've put together a Raspberry Pi 4 as a streamer and connected it to a Schiit Modi 3+ via USB and from there to a Loxjie A30 which I use as my desktop amp. The Loxjie also has a DAC in it but I'm using the analog inputs for the RPi. I've been playing with Roipee and Volumio. Roipee has been very easy because I already have Roon running and using this as a Roon endpoint was crazy simple. Volumio has been tougher as I can't get it to recognize my music files that reside on the network on an external drive attached to a MacMini. I use the MacMini as a Roon core and that has been great. I'll probably just stick with that but I'm also having fun playing around which is why I'm fiddling to get the Volumio to work. I can stream Spotify and Internet Radio via Voumio but I just can't access my own music.

quatmo

Hi ALL!
Could you please suggest:
I need a network streamer to run spotify connect and tidal connect. Tidal for me and spotify for my girlfriend. I don't need to play songs from nas or etc. I just want max quality from streaming services.
Based on all info that I read - Would it be enough?
raspberry pi zero
16gb micro sd card
power supply for pi
I want mqa and don't want to spend over 100$ on dac - so I have 3 options:
- dragonfly black
- helm bolt
- Beam 2SE
Wil the mqa work with tidal connect?
It would be great if I can connect my tv to the same dac somehow. Maybe you know some options?

RoPieee XL with Spotify connect good for you, you can find the "Tidal Connect RoPieeeXL" setup guide repo on github.com.

Lordi

Señori Martin will roll back some good money to the one who helps him to customize the Raspberry so that they do not fall from his dac.
I have mine connected via USB to piCorePlayer on a 2GB Raspberry Pi 4.
When I power them on the DX7 Pro does not recognize the connection and I get no sound.
I'm experiencing the same problem that you referenced here: Raspberry Pi 3+
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...adphone-amp-reviewed.9446/page-68#post-683140

This courageous man throws money away by changing DACs, and does not understand that Raspberry is to blame.

threni

Major Contributor
I've put together a Raspberry Pi 4 as a streamer and connected it to a Schiit Modi 3+ via USB and from there to a Loxjie A30 which I use as my desktop amp. The Loxjie also has a DAC in it but I'm using the analog inputs for the RPi. I've been playing with Roipee and Volumio. Roipee has been very easy because I already have Roon running and using this as a Roon endpoint was crazy simple. Volumio has been tougher as I can't get it to recognize my music files that reside on the network on an external drive attached to a MacMini. I use the MacMini as a Roon core and that has been great. I'll probably just stick with that but I'm also having fun playing around which is why I'm fiddling to get the Volumio to work. I can stream Spotify and Internet Radio via Voumio but I just can't access my own music.

I spent some time with Volumio on my Pi because the interface (including EQ) was quite nice but there seemed to be no solution to the full rescanning of attached (usb) or network music, which over wifi/on a slow, cheap external hard drive was taking literally hours. I gave up. If you're going to try this approach, give it some time in case it's actually constructing the library very slowly; perhaps point Volumio at a folder with just a couple of albums to see if that works.

ctakim

Forum Donor
I spent some time with Volumio on my Pi because the interface (including EQ) was quite nice but there seemed to be no solution to the full rescanning of attached (usb) or network music, which over wifi/on a slow, cheap external hard drive was taking literally hours. I gave up. If you're going to try this approach, give it some time in case it's actually constructing the library very slowly; perhaps point Volumio at a folder with just a couple of albums to see if that works.
Thanks for the advice! I'll give that a try!

Lordi

The Russian land has not exhausted its talents, it will help the overseas busurmans to embark on the righteous path to complete happiness with Raspberry Pi.

Queens and Jacks present to you The Album Player for Linux, Image of bootable SD card piCoreAP 7.0 (ARM64, Raspberry Pi 3/3b+/4)

The Album Player for Linux is a free-distributed (Freeware) music file player for the Linux operating system (the x86, x64 and ARM platforms are supported).
The player is designed for playback of music files, albums of music files, and compilations of albums from local disks or net sources,
as well as for streaming listening to the Internet radio stations. The player supports the web interface remote control and the UPnP/DLNA renderer?s mode.

The supported file formats are: WAV, FLAC, APE, WavPack, ALAC, AIFF, AAC, OGG, MP3, MP4, DFF, DSF, OPUS, TAK, WMA, SACD ISO, and DVD-A.
The output of DSD files is supported in the native DSD, DoP, and PCM modes.

The player features an extended user access to settings of parameters and playback modes; it allows selecting and optimizing playback modes most suitable for listening to the music.

The playback process is characterized with an exceptionally low resources intake. It results with less interference and better conditions for quality sound playback.

To learn more

Download Album Player Image of bootable SD card piCoreAP 7.0 (ARM64, Raspberry Pi 3/3b+/4)

enjoy success.

Top Bottom