• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DO SPECS REALLY MATTER in Audio? - Understanding Speaker Measurements!

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From what you're implying, I'm the one at fault because there is absolutely no way I couldn't like a perfectly engineered and "scientifically superior" speaker. Well, at least in an environment that favors them (aka absolutely nothing like 99.5% of the living rooms of the folks in here).

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I actually don't think that's what he's implying. I think he's implying that unless you're coming to these judgements under double blind level matched comparisons, then there may be other reasons besides the sound waves entering your ears that you may prefer one speaker over another. Volume and expectation bias(placebo) hugely affect the "sound quality" we hear. Proper level matching equalizes the volume, while listening blind equalizes the expectation bias(at least if there are enough speakers and/or you're not familiar with the speakers).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
If they measure well and it's been "scientifically" proven that folks should like them, then why don't I like them?

It doesn't predict that you, or any individual will like them.

It gives a baseline of broad preference. Where any individual fits on any preference curve isn't part of what is happening there.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Unpopular opinion inc:

I kind of agree with the man on the front, that OBSESSING about specs as an end-user is the wrong way to go about it.
It is really unrealistic to look at a FR in isolation and expect the speaker to sound like that in your room.

The room will basically nuke the carefully crafted anechonic FR of any given speaker and if you employ room correction DSP, you will most likely move even further away from the manufacturers target curve.

Naturally, designers should measure. Absolutely. They need to find all the little flaws and correct them as best they can. No argument there.

As an end user, measurements are somewhat helpful in the selection process, especially the ones that go beyond the simple frequency response.

In general, I do prefer a flat response, because then, DSP only has to work against the room and not work against an arbitrary house curve in addition to that.

Edit: clarification that I distinguish between the designers and the end-users.
Better speakers work better in more rooms, so its super relevant for real life performance.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
dude blocked me also from commenting, lol.
Lets see if they block me too.

Unbenannt.png

Feelas

Good thing you took a screenshot. That way when she accuses you of harassment and lying you can provide the evidence to the contrary. Ask me how I know. :D
It just depends how they want to spin "harassment" around - one might try to say that being called "divisive" is harassment, since "they meant no wrong".

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I absolutely Love Measurements. I like reading about them, I like taking them, I love that level of investigation. I ENJOY that aspect of audio (and in many other topics/arenas)
In my experience with lots of other people, it is rare to find comradery. Far less folks I meet are into measuring/dissecting stuff - regarding anything - including audio measurements. Yet nearly everyone I meet listens to music and many of them even are very passionate about music.

I watched that video.
It is the only video by the reviewer I have ever seen, and therefore the only one I can currently comment on, I have no idea what else that dude is up to.

IMHO he does a great job explaining some important things about measurements, what very basically is going on in realm measurements and in speaker design to the general public. We are talking the not uncommon person, who might instantly have glazed eyes when the topic of measurements and such stuff comes up.
For that person that reviewer, IMHO is actually introducing them to the basic validly of measurements and that within that there some inherent limitations. Again he is speaking toward someone who would not currently be excited by the content of ASR and similar sites that focus on measuring. Nor would such person spend time trying understand and interpret a spinorama or figure out a great new way to measure speaker IMD. That "common" person now has at least a modicum of understanding of the challenges in speaker design and purchase selection.
As a human very interested in measurements, I would be excited to get some of my friends to listen to me wax about speakers measurements in any fashion for 20 minutes.

Unfortunately he targeted Harman, which is a can of worms for some. Well that target makes sense to me as they are currently one notable top tier standard bearer for advocating certain principles and certainly many groups of Audiophiles have chosen to really promote the Harman approach as an elite level, measurement based approach. (and I would personally agree that they are that) He could have chosen Genelec or Neumann or any other brand focused on using using measurements to create a notably nuetral/prefered design. Many such brands are very small and generally unheard of. Zero of their products are for sale at BestBuy and Crutchfield so the huge Harman target is a good target to bounce off.

He also sort of propped up Klipsch, a brand known as not accurate and geared toward pissing off the neighbors sound. This of course is an attention getter if you don't like Klipsch much.

I must say that I am personally a huge fan of many current and recent Harman speaker products and other brands of speaker products that fall into the category of science based design used in service toward producing a perceived neutral response.
I have tried quite a few in my space.
I recommend them frequently.
Now, I have a ton of friends who are music junkies and even my GF and some close friends have worked worked deeply in the music industry. We get the good seats for free to nearly any concert we want here.
The point is that I am around folks who love music and rarely does anyone what to chat about speaker gear design. There are many music lovers who are not turned on by that at all. Even folks who are interested in my speakers after hearing their favorite tunes on them don't want to chat for long about the why's and how's of the excellent sound, they just want to hear it.

Now does that mean they prefer a hack and slash designed garage speaker design over a Revel? (I doubt it, & yet I can not say for sure.)

I think that Youtube video goes a long way toward reaching a typical music enthusiast (read not yet or perhaps not ever an audiophile, rather a passionate music lover who wants some guidance in buying decent speakers)

When I recommend speakers I take into account most of what that Tube reviewer discusses. In fact I agree with the vast majority of his general commentary and I think his girlfriends comments echo many actual people's ability to discuss this stuff. Meaning they really can't and don't really want to.
I bet she loves listening to all the different gear though and loves music.

They kind of remind of my situation. I listen often with my GF and she has really had a course in audio over that 4 years of our relationship. She loves it and she is a sweet heart who loves me so she get involved when I digress into speaker design and measurements. I know though that what she loves is trying all the gear and listening for herself. She has never pulled up a graph online and yet she always gets excited when a new box arrives.
I will say she loves when I have speaker parts everywhere and am in the yard making a DIY thing or inside using microphones running test tones, the activity is fun energy and she appreciates what goes into the art of audio. (yah, seriously I am one lucky Dude)

She has heard a lot of stuff now and when discovering her favorites, they have been (regardless of price and price has varied a lot) speakers she described as having a "soul". Additionally all of these models measure quite well. She has never liked a poorly measuring speaker, she notices flaws pretty accurately and changes I make to the sound and yet for her some speakers have a "soul" and others do not. Several well measuring models did not captivate her (nor I) and others did.
I will reiterate that never once did she ever ask to keep a speaker that did not turn out to have at least great basic measurements, nor did we always enjoy speakers that measure well equally and despite appreciating that sound was "good" we passed. (& I mean notably not equal as in I truely don't want them, even with Eq at play.)
Several of the commercial speakers we kept and the two pairs she liked the most were in fact contemporary Harman products, additionally a couple Harman products didn't make the "we love them" cut.
All in all though I admit to being impressed with their speaker gear.

Because I try a lot of gear my Gf and I, have the luxury of all this 1st hand experience for which I find it hard to believe there is any substitute.
Ideally I highly suggest people try multiple speakers/products in their own homes. I realize this may be a serious pain yet it is the only way IMHO to discover what you like well enough.
Since many folks are just not going to do that for one reason or another, what is the next best solution?

I currently have the KEF LS50 Meta, Focal Chora 806, and JBL-HDI-1600 in my apartment. All three have good, flattish measurements, but all three sound quite different due to their varying directivity. But again, they all sound good.

Per the usual your comments are fantastic and...
This.
While sounding good, all three sound different.
You must listen, which I felt/perceived was the point most strongly made in that Tube vid.
You are a professional reviewer and have many products come and go and you get paid for your time spent with them. Which one of these 3 do you recommend? I bet you recommend them all, but to different folks & I further my wager that you have a personal favorite that you would pick if like a "normal person" you had to live with that speaker and that speaker alone, for the next 5 years.
(*by the way I'd be really interested in hearing about which one of those three you would pick and why - I am thinking about buying a pair of HDI1600's OR L82's)

I am sorta like a mini reviewer due to trying so much gear and I have a pair or two that I would save in a fire and many others that I might actually be happy to claim insurance on despite the fact that they do sound good.

While hopefully all here @ ASR are truly lovers of sound and music, we are surely nerds. We are audiophile nerds and secretly want to be the next human with a Kipple being installed in our garage(man 1st I wish I had a real garage) and get pissed when reviews don't have spins and we might get immersed in the next issue of Voice Coil test bench pondering raw drivers.

All these measurements here are way, way beyond what IMHO the typical buyer want to ingest & in no way is that lack of interest in the tests here a measure of their interest in listing to good sound. They want good sound not a membership in the audio club.
So how does one reach them with speakers that measure well, without talking about that, as talking about that will not help in this hypothetical case. (In fact it may even turn them off, yah)

As someone who writes excellent detailed reviews (& I mean yours are really wonderful and you clearly have a passion and a talent for them), how to do help someone chose a speaker in real life. Someone you meet or someone who is friend, not someone who is getting info from your published reviews - which for them may actually be far to nerdy and in depth. What is the most basic, basic stuff?

I don't think most people here want every speaker to sound exactly the same; we just want some basic standards and more honesty in how products are promoted with regards to their performance per price. Measurements provide much needed transparency.
I certainly agree with this & now what?
The experience of diminished return hits fast and hard now in audio. So many products are so good in affordable price ranges, IMHO such products would more than satisfy 95% of buyers.
It many cases the cost variation is most easily justified now in fit and finish and location of manufacture.

In theory for the purpose of creating a test example, if you are a PEQ user and a Harman score person, you can equalize a JBL A130 to nearly perform as well as an equalized KEF Meta. (6.5ish)
Now, we really need to listen to both speakers and find out what is what right?
$300(often on sale for $180) vs $1500.
Not the same fit and finish, perhaps equal sound quality.

I am not saying we should stop trying to make sense of the audio world and I deeply appreciate those who really invest in doing so. It just is so often a case of I want a Corvette and you want a CR-V and then the question is which one gets to the grocery store more accurately. hmmm...

Good thing you took a screenshot. That way when she accuses you of harassment and lying you can provide the evidence to the contrary. Ask me how I know. :D
Look I hope I am not way out of line when I ask who cares?
I am awaiting the next of your absolutely stellar reviews (of some pretty rad speakers), and I have no interest in that Dude's channel.
Yah they accused you of some stuff and deleted your post. I mean it is their channel on Youtube, they have the ability to ban folks from commenting as they see fit.
Their video IMHO wasn't that controversial (again I am not familiar with other vids by that crew) and they seem genuinely into audio, what is the big deal if they don't want to hang out?
At some point your channel is going to very popular and I can assure you, you will be banning some folks. They might be upset about it and feel mistreated but that is the reality.

Aerith Gainsborough

He also sort of propped up Klipsch, a brand known as not accurate and geared toward pissing off the neighbors sound.
Huh? Care to elaborate on that? I never heard a Klipsch so it's an honest question. :D

I do agree with your post in regards to us often forgetting that we are not the norm. I love this forum and love learning about the science behind it, even if there is still a ton of stuff I do not understand / measurements I can't interpret myself.

Still I do believe said video maker could have made a better job in terms of going beyond mere frequency response and ... well to be mean for a minute: I could have done w/o the commentary of the woman. She had nothing interesting to say and her opinion felt shoehorned in. Though I guess she does represent your average HiFi buyer who view the gear as a black box and only care for the result.

Feelas

Still I do believe said video maker could have made a better job in terms of going beyond mere frequency response and ... well to be mean for a minute: I could have done w/o the commentary of the woman. She had nothing interesting to say and her opinion felt shoehorned in. Though I guess she does represent your average HiFi buyer who view the gear as a black box and only care for the result.
And obviously this is supposed to appeal to the typical listener, that "someone with the common sense must get this right this way" - anchoring the similarity is a typical manipulation practice.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Look I hope I am not way out of line when I ask who cares?
I am awaiting the next of your absolutely stellar reviews (of some pretty rad speakers), and I have no interest in that Dude's channel.
Yah they accused you of some stuff and deleted your post. I mean it is their channel on Youtube, they have the ability to ban folks from commenting as they see fit.

Well, me, obviously. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if someone went "cancel culture" on you with a baseless claim of harassment (not something to be taken lightly).

To be clear:
I replied to his video in a pretty civil manner. They blocked me. They posted publicly on another channel they blocked me because I was "harassing" and other things. Which were outright lies. They didn't expect I'd have my comment screenshots so when I posted what I actually replied to their video the tune changed. Then they unblocked me and replied on their video. I haven't looked at his reply and I won't. I'm done with him.

Now, had I not been blocked and had AR simply replied OR had they said "yea, we blocked you because we don't like you"... okay. But they called in to question my integrity with their lies and had I not taken screenshots to prove what I had actually posted then they would have gotten away with it. It speaks to the type of people they are. And I think it is important for people to understand that.

That all said, I've already washed my hands of it. I'll keep doing what I am doing and not get dragged down in to the name calling. I posted what I said and they were exposed for their lies. Nothing else for me to do. I've got more important stuff to do. Like getting the NFS up and running when I get home.

I tried his channel for a little while but couldn't take that much Andrew.
Exact same here. One video got recommended to me, I think one of his speaker lists, and I couldn't get through that, even. He is very much in the YouTube world serving the purpose of maybe getting people interested in hifi as a stepping stone

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
In my experience, if it measures good, but sounds bad.. You probably need more, or better, measurements :)
and/or, as 1950s/60s-era HH Scott Chief Engineer Daniel van Recklinghausen is reported to have said (at a BAS meeting):
"If it measures good and sounds bad, -- it is bad. If it sounds good and measures bad, -- you've measured the wrong thing."
http://hhscott.com/vonrecklinghausen.htm

Aerith Gainsborough

And obviously this is supposed to appeal to the typical listener, that "someone with the common sense must get this right this way" - anchoring the similarity is a typical manipulation practice.
Safety in numbers I guess? :D

I did get a response from both, in case anyone is interested:
Kristi Wright said:
I'm truly sorry that you felt one side was dismissed. That was never the intention of the video.

Andrew Robinson said:
]If I may jump in here. First, thanks for tuning in and for commenting, truly. "We" are fine to say that measurements go out the window (as you put it) because that is our opinion. I don't believe she nor I are being divisive. I understand that there are those folks in the audio and acoustics industry who are upset with me over this video, but like I have said in my response to them, I ask you to please watch again and listen more carefully to what it is that I'm saying. I very clearly state that measurements and specs tell a story but they do not tell the whole story. I do not use the word "fact" nor do I qualify my statements in the end with any sort of definitive "answer". I say, very clearly, that "to me" specs don't matter much.

Now, if this is an issue surrounding our reach our influence and how we're not in someway promoting a point of view that is more favorable to your or other peoples' way of thinking, I'm not sure I can really do anything to help that as we're bound to have more than a few differing opinions. But, I am very deliberate about what specs I'm talking about and why in this video as it is a primer if you will and not a "masters level course". You adding in things like impedance, phase etc to the discussion is not germane here because that's not what the video is about. Those are specs that may have more bearing on one's decision than say a manufacturer's reported frequency response. We plan on doing a video about THOSE types of specs in the future, at which point, maybe, we can pick up this discussion then.

To the notion that I'm biasing the community. Here's what I'm trying to do with this channel and basic educational videos like this one. Imagine you're sitting at a table across from a complete stranger and this complete stranger says, "'I'm thinking about getting a Bose." Do you a) chastise that individual for being "stupid"; b) tell him the history of the universe as it relates to speaker design; or c) do your best to encourage him to go with what is going to make him (or her) happy but maybe drop a few nuggets of information or other options that maybe they want to consider when they go to buy their Bose? I'm option C. I understand fully that no matter what I say there's more than a 50/50 chance that the individual is going to buy Bose because it's a name or brand they "know". So rather than shout until I'm blue in the face, I'm going to do my best to encourage them and give them permission to buy what they want while maybe opening their eyes (or ears) to another option too. I'm not trying to overwhelm or convince anyone, just trying to make them feel comfortable so that maybe, JUST MAYBE, they come back and want to know/learn or grow more.

The mistake higher level enthusiasts often make or forget is this; there are more people in hifi just getting started and looking for basic happiness than there are folks who want to understand it at an atomic level so to speak. I don't disparage anyone's knowledge or methodologies, just as I didn't say specs are stupid or totally irrelevant in this video. But I think it's obvious that I am attempting to reach the broader audience and enrich their lives through their own happiness and enjoyment of music, rather than convince them (or anyone) that I'm "right" or the ONE with the answer(s).

I know there are a lot of folks who don't like what it is that I do, I get that. Honestly, the last few days have been incredibly trying for me and my wife as we have learned in new ways to what extent there are those on the Internet that quite literally hate us for even existing -let alone because of the content we create. I can't help that, nor am I trying to stop it. Do I think it's a little childish? Yes, especially when you stop and realize that we're talking about adult men who are the one's responsible for some of this conduct. Nevertheless, and this is not specifically directed at you, if I'm not the channel for you or if I don't provide the type of info that jives with your views, then you don't have to watch. We're just doing our thing over here, and apparently it resonates with a few folks. I appreciate the discussions, I truly do. I don't mind when people disagree. But I take some offense to this notion that I'm trying to poison the well or divide anything or anyone; I think we have a pretty good track record for being one of the more inclusive spaces in the community.

Be well, Andrew

Me :3 said:
Wow, didn't expect that kind of answer, first of all: thank you for taking the time!

I agree with you that many of us enthusiasts can often forget how little the beginners or outsiders know and how overwhelming all that information can feel for them. You explained frequency response very nicely, the idea of making accessible videos about the other characteristics that have been mentioned is definitely a good one.

I do not think you are "poisoning the well" and I am not emotional about this subject. I merely tried to offer an explanation as to why some people interpret it as "divisive". I never wanted to insinuate that this was your intention. When push comes to shove, I don't have a horse in this game. I found my Aria 906 through a combination of objective science and listening for myself.

Regarding your BOSE example: I would explain to him why it was a bad choice and encourage listening to different speakers. No, you don't have to start at the atom when explaining, it depends on the person you are talking to.

Ultimately I think us enthusiasts are in this hobby to enjoy music, exchange viewpoints, learn about the technology, the science behind it, about ourselves, our perceptions, biases and how easily we can be messed with by crafty salesmen.

Fair day to you too. :)

P.S.: Sorry about trolls and mean folks giving you hate and a hard time. Sadly, that comes with the territory of the anonymous Internet. Especially if you enter polarizing topics such as audio. I agree that it is childish, though the thought of grown men raging like kiddos does make for some amusing head-cinema. :D

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
To get good sound in a room, speaker is an important but insufficient ingredient. You need to optimize the low frequencies and tailor the over tilt to your taste. Different speakers are impacted different by the room so it is entirely possible to have a good speaker in a room and not like it. This is why I most of the time EQ one of my room modes in speaker listening tests. Sometimes though, I don't do that because the speaker needs that extra bump to balance its sharpness.

Colonel7

I found the whole thing incredibly disingenuous, like the part about "designing in a lab" (implying that's the only place those speakers are good for) and "not having access to the same facilities" (as if no one can pay a fee to get a spinorama or even take their own measurements). Considering it was scripted the garbage about Klipsch designing for "real rooms" was rich. There was so much that was against established facts, science and acknowledgement of standards. They totally muddied the waters to make it seem like nothing is known for those who are new and didn't know any better.

Could you imagine, if like, you know science could have standards to measure? Or crazier, actually predict how a speaker would measure (and thus perform) in a room? Even better, could you imagine if you could measure in your own room and not just the lab? Or, like, do some crazy magic and alter the frequency response by you know, voodoo software?

Their take reminds me so much of the fishing community when I was a kid growing up around recreational fishermen and charter captains. There were definitely folks who just wanted to throw a line in the water on weekends, and got their intel from listening to the local fm radio weather forecast and asking the bait shop what's catching them and where. And there were charter captains who did the ol' 3 card monty about how wisdom is the only thing to be trusted, and how there's way too many things to account for like wind and the drift and bottom conditions and the angle of the sun and how fish are fickle. Some people are just attracted to that story. Meanwhile, there were folks using data and tech to consistently catch fish. I can hear it: is there some library of when migratory fish arrive each year and details of the water temperature? And is there magic tech to tell you when you've arrived at the right spot in the ocean or that there are fish under your boat, or even how deep the water is? Good gosh almighty.

And it to hear them say, Don't care about measurements I just go by how speakers listen in my room. Says the couple who get free speakers and loaners a few times a week...

posvibes

It can't be that the speaker manufacturers are naive enough not to understand that to an overwhelming degree they manufacture a mass produced product that is designed to be used in primarily domestic environments of infinite variety Not only that but the major manufacturers have any number of products on the market at the same time fulfilling the same purpose at every price point in a number of styles, designs and features.

If Harman are able to predict what the public find preferential in terms of sound character and quality, are the manufacturers not looking a gift horse in the mouth and ignoring an opportunity to increase sales and make more money?

I have a theory that the saturation of TV over the last 70 years has (r)evolutionised our hearing. I listen primarily to my TV through its own speakers, I am never offended by its sound and through headphones I am pretty satisfied, through my speakers I note the immense difference, but I still watch TV primarily via the TV's speakers.

Aerith Gainsborough

I have a theory that the saturation of TV over the last 70 years has (r)evolutionised our hearing.
Most people out there don't give a flying intercourse about sonic quality. Hell, my parents listen to music on a friggin smartphone speaker and look at me dumbfounded when I yell at them because the obviously distorted sound hurts my ears. >.<

So yeah: most people buy some big name brand, think they have something good because they spent a truckload of cash, never care about room interactions and just blast the damn thing till kingdom (or police) come.

Everyone else is part of a super tiny minority of enthusiasts.

Or, like, do some crazy magic and alter the frequency response by you know, voodoo software?
Easy now, careful with the black magic, you know it has a terrible cost associated with it like ... selling your soul to you know who!

Top Bottom