• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem to introduce new models!

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
plus - I have one on order -

so:
-no usb in
-no Roon support (yet/now)
-old DACs - in the AVM70/mrx1140 (akm4490/4458)
-ARC Genesis I understand is not working with units

but I ordered anyway not finding a better option. Maybe I need to pull plug or look again at other options......im certainly nervous as this is a big ticket item for me......

Vasr

Major Contributor
plus - I have one on order -

so:
-no usb in
-no Roon support (yet/now)
-old DACs - in the AVM70/mrx1140 (akm4490/4458)
-ARC Genesis I understand is not working with units

but I ordered anyway not finding a better option. Maybe I need to pull plug or look again at other options......im certainly nervous as this is a big ticket item for me......

You could also postpone the purchase to get more info and have at least the specs out. Monitor the AVSForum ownership thread for owner reports. So far, there doesn't seem to be any major hiccups and there are copies of pulled ARC Genesis release linked there that owners have said works on this unit. Yes, a new big-ticket item launch should never be like this.

If you got a 20% discount on the order (as some people did with their dealers). then the decision becomes harder. There is a return window if there are issues.

The AVM 70 and HTP-1 are the leading contenders in this space/price range with some pros and cons for each. But overall both are fine I think once the dust settles.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning

lovemusic

I'm unable to locate the IP via Google Home App as suggested in the video. Is there any other way to locate the device IP?

Vasr

Major Contributor
I'm unable to locate the IP via Google Home App as suggested in the video. Is there any other way to locate the device IP?

Suggest you consult the owner thread that has been created at avsforum.com for these processors. People seem to be stumbling through the same issues but have found solutions. Networking the device seems to be a hit or miss out of the box depending on the home router and owner's familiarity with networking and some Anthem idiosyncrasies (like incorrect instructions in the manual referring to WiFi buttons on the back panel that don't exist, glitches in syncing information between WebUI and device state, between device display and its actual state, etc).

I don't have one but have been following that thread to see how it does with initial owner experience. Not too bad relative to the Emotiva, JBL kind of issues but does seem like a final beta version than a release-ready product (for firmware).

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
some additional comments or concerns -

I want to setup a Roon Nucleus and both rip to Nucleus (or Vault) and stream through the system. The Anthems AVR/AVPs I understand do not allow a USB input. Roon Nucleus only has USB or HDMI out.

most of what I have read and understand is the USB is a good connection/source/data stream, HDMI is not. Being constrained to hdmi out to AVP/AVR in Anthems case I’m concerned having only this choice.....

is this a valid concern, or am I over-reacting to the data.....

thanks!

Last edited:

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Great dilemma isn't it...this hobby definitely has its challenges! The answer to your first question about the channel configurations is yes, you can use the amps in the receiver to handle the Atmos channels while your external amp is running the main 7. The only amplifier channel not reassign-able in 740 is the Center Channel. Also, the sub outs are independent and not summed to mono as before - this will be an upgrade in ARC Genesis' Software in managing those.
There is a sonic advantage to having a straight Pre/Pro versus using a Receiver - my opinion (so I don't want to offend anyone), to which, I think you'd be better off using the AVM70 and just running 7 channels versus trying to add Atmos Speakers and using the receiver as the Pre/Pro, especially if your amp has balanced inputs. The AVM70 uses a toroidal power transformer with lower noise than the iron core transformer used in the 740. See "Truly Balanced" vs "Fully Balanced" : https://www.anthemav.com/support/faq.php
We're assuming your amp is better than what's in the receiver and that's the whole purpose for proposing a Pre/Pro over using a Receiver to begin with. 7 Great Speakers, or 11 or 15 just ok/mediocre speakers? It's a quality over quantity debate, but I think you highlighted all the features that the AVM70 has over the 740 except that all of our Receivers and Processors are supposed to have an HDMI 2.1 upgrade path.
Once they're all shipping and available, it should be easier to get a grasp on everything. Thanks for the questions and have a Happy New Year!

Chris, I'm hoping you'll respond to some of the issues that have surfaced with the release of the AVM70. I'm an Anthem fan, with multiple STR components and an AVM60 so if anything I am biased in favor of these new products and had placed a deposit on a new processor. However, I have recently requested refund of that deposit. My concerns are:

1. It appears that Anthem decided to ship the AVM70 without ARC enabled. True? Roon? Spotify connect?
2. It appears that Anthem has decided not to include an owner's manual with these multi thousand dollar units. True?
3. It appears that instead of using your TV to easily make changes to the settings, which I do often with my AVM60, the buyer must find their laptop or go to their desktop computer to find a web site unique to their unit and make the changes that way. True?
4. I watched the Audio Advisor YouTube video; it's a shameless commercial for Anthem, but nonetheless informational. The presenter justified the extraordinary increase in cost of the AVM90 by stating that it had a better DAC chip and would handle 4 sub channels instead of the 2 in the AVM70. He did not elaborate on the "improved audio circuitry" in the AVM 90. Are there any other features in the AVM90 to justify the cost?

As I mentioned above, i've withdrawn my deposit. the need to go online and find a website to change a few settings is a deal breaker for me. And if Anthem has decided buyers don't deserve a quality owner's manual that's just insulting. I'm hoping you can change my mind on this.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Chris, I'm hoping you'll respond to some of the issues that have surfaced with the release of the AVM70. I'm an Anthem fan, with multiple STR components and an AVM60 so if anything I am biased in favor of these new products and had placed a deposit on a new processor. However, I have recently requested refund of that deposit. My concerns are:

1. It appears that Anthem decided to ship the AVM70 without ARC enabled. True? Roon? Spotify connect?
2. It appears that Anthem has decided not to include an owner's manual with these multi thousand dollar units. True?
3. It appears that instead of using your TV to easily make changes to the settings, which I do often with my AVM60, the buyer must find their laptop or go to their desktop computer to find a web site unique to their unit and make the changes that way. True?
4. I watched the Audio Advisor YouTube video; it's a shameless commercial for Anthem, but nonetheless informational. The presenter justified the extraordinary increase in cost of the AVM90 by stating that it had a better DAC chip and would handle 4 sub channels instead of the 2 in the AVM70. He did not elaborate on the "improved audio circuitry" in the AVM 90. Are there any other features in the AVM90 to justify the cost?

As I mentioned above, i've withdrawn my deposit. the need to go online and find a website to change a few settings is a deal breaker for me. And if Anthem has decided buyers don't deserve a quality owner's manual that's just insulting. I'm hoping you can change my mind on this.

Not sure if you will get an official response to those "leading questions" :) but ...

1. Providing a complete printed manual with a device is no longer a thing and will disappear soon for most. It is not green and wasteful in most cases as people shouldn't really need it if the UI is good and there is a good one-pager Quick-Starter Guide. A PDF download and/or an online manual on their web site will be the way of the future. There is no getting around this.

Of course, in this case it is perfectly legitimate to criticize not having a spec section, not proof-read, not correct obvious/outdated mistakes in the manual provided for download. It is the worst roll-out I have seen of any brand name product.

2. Web UI vs OSD UI. For settings (as opposed to status display), the latter is another thing that is going the way of the DoDo bird. It is very resource-intensive, bug-prone and expensive affair for devices to provide OSD settings menus, especially as the systems get more complicated with a lot of settings. Doing so holds back features/flexibility that can be provided via a Web UI which can also be made much more user-friendly and informative. People are doing this already on things like WiFi routers etc for it to be some new thing that has to be learnt.

Of course, the way Anthem has rolled out the frustrating network connectivity set up on the device to get to that point is inexcusable (especially Wifi as the most common these days compared to Ethernet for the living room) . Why would you ask someone to get Google Home to set up the WiFi on the device? The same mistake as getting PlayFi to set up WiFi on their streamer boxes.

3. As far as I know it has ARC implemented on the device itself but ARC Genesis software running on a computer to do measurements, etc that will recognize this device has not been made available (the last version which seems to have some problems was pulled from their site). This is also part of the botched roll-out.

4. The "superiority" of the AVM 90 over the AVM 70 to justify the price difference is still a mystery. This seems like a product management decision than a technical one to cater to the niche crowd that will pay stupid amounts of money to have the top of the line regardless of whether it is worth it. A revenue management decision.

So, it is a combination of device evolution and the botched release that has displeased potential customers like you.

Typically this kind of mis-management of a product line in any company is precipitated by a bad management change (or hiring McKinsey, Bain type of consultants to suggest cost efficiency measures) not Covid-19 as an excuse. So, I wonder what happened inside Anthem to stumble so badly in this particular launch.

The initial user reports indicate the device itself is pretty good so engineering seems to have delivered. More of a product-management, marketing, top layer issues, it seems.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Not sure if you will get an official response to those "leading questions" :) but ...

1. Providing a complete printed manual with a device is no longer a thing and will disappear soon for most. It is not green and wasteful in most cases as people shouldn't really need it if the UI is good and there is a good one-pager Quick-Starter Guide. A PDF download and/or an online manual on their web site will be the way of the future. There is no getting around this.

Of course, in this case it is perfectly legitimate to criticize not having a spec section, not proof-read, not correct obvious/outdated mistakes in the manual provided for download. It is the worst roll-out I have seen of any brand name product.

2. Web UI vs OSD UI. For settings (as opposed to status display), the latter is another thing that is going the way of the DoDo bird. It is very resource-intensive, bug-prone and expensive affair for devices to provide OSD settings menus, especially as the systems get more complicated with a lot of settings. Doing so holds back features/flexibility that can be provided via a Web UI which can also be made much more user-friendly and informative. People are doing this already on things like WiFi routers etc for it to be some new thing that has to be learnt.

Of course, the way Anthem has rolled out the frustrating network connectivity set up on the device to get to that point is inexcusable (especially Wifi as the most common these days compared to Ethernet for the living room) . Why would you ask someone to get Google Home to set up the WiFi on the device? The same mistake as getting PlayFi to set up WiFi on their streamer boxes.

3. As far as I know it has ARC implemented on the device itself but ARC Genesis software running on a computer to do measurements, etc that will recognize this device has not been made available (the last version which seems to have some problems was pulled from their site). This is also part of the botched roll-out.

4. The "superiority" of the AVM 90 over the AVM 70 to justify the price difference is still a mystery. This seems like a product management decision than a technical one to cater to the niche crowd that will pay stupid amounts of money to have the top of the line regardless of whether it is worth it. A revenue management decision.

So, it is a combination of device evolution and the botched release that has displeased potential customers like you.

Typically this kind of mis-management of a product line in any company is precipitated by a bad management change (or hiring McKinsey, Bain type of consultants to suggest cost efficiency measures) not Covid-19 as an excuse. So, I wonder what happened inside Anthem to stumble so badly in this particular launch.

The initial user reports indicate the device itself is pretty good so engineering seems to have delivered. More of a product-management, marketing, top layer issues, it seems.
Thanks for the thoughtful comments. One thing that hasn’t changed is the power of the market; if Anthem pisses off enough customers like me they might make changes. Their STR gear comes with excellent manuals, like Benchmark and many others and I still expect it when paying this kind of money. Cheers

valerianf

Reading this thread it seems that the new Anthem xx40 serie has a lot of potential issues.
Is ARC or the web settings Android compatible?
I agree using a tablet as HUD for changing some menu, but not starting the Windows laptop!
Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, blu-ray players have all a OSD interface and are Wifi capable.
Not the Anthem AVR?

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Reading this thread it seems that the new Anthem xx40 serie has a lot of potential issues.
I agree using a tablet as HUD for changing some menu, but not starting the Windows laptop!
Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, blu-ray players have all a OSD interface and are Wifi capable.
Not the Anthem AVR?
Who cares if Android compatible. Don't waste the Anthem Room Correction on a smart phone or tablet. I ran a 25 foot usb cable to connect to a real computer. It's not like you are correcting often. Monoprice sells long usb cables cheaply.

valerianf

Android is the most commun human interface available in the world at this beginning of the XXI Century.
A Windows computer can be used the first time to set the AVR parameters and implement a ARC correction curve.

But in the day to day use, when you want to modify a parameter before watching a movie (bass/treeble setting, night mode, center lever, switching a dsp mode...) how do you do that?

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Once again I am so glad I left Anthem after my MRX-700. They remind me of Chrysler in the early 90’s, still slapping 3 speed transmissions into their cars while everyone lest those behind a decade earlier. My MRX-700 had a serial port to connect to the laptop. I couldn’t even buy a laptop at the time with a serial port, not that I would have. So I had to spend money on a serial to USB adapter. They later started adding them to the box when they got so much feedback from customers who couldn’t connect.

Seems like they just don’t have the resources to make a current AVR. Considering Denon amps in their AVRs are quite good, I’m leaning towards them for my next purchase.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Again I would point to the owner's thread at avsforum.com to get a real understanding of issues from people who have been the early users. Also download and read the manual.
Shouldn't confuse the two. The WebUI for doing advanced settings is accessible from any web browser on any device. It does not need any software installed or a specific device.

ARC genesis is a piece of proprietary software that needs to be downloaded and installed to run ARC measurement process. It can also be done to a limited extent from the Web UI or the device display (volume levels, delays, etc) but ARC Genesis provides the full functionality for room correction. This software is available for Mac, Windows or mobile devices. But a Mac or Windows is recommended because using the supplied mic for measurement is much easier than doing the same on a mobile device and its limitations. Since this is more of a one-time or infrequent thing, having a computer available is good. The rest of frequent setting changes, etc., can be done via a web browser from any device.

Not the Anthem AVR?
It is. The functionality is split between the device display, OSD on a TV connected to the AVR and a Web UI. The more frequent a setting is changed, more likely it is available from the remote to change or from the device. TV OSD is just for information display and feedback from remote usages (limited). More like the Monolith HTP-1. This will be the norm for future generations of processors for sure.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Who cares if Android compatible. Don't waste the Anthem Room Correction on a smart phone or tablet. I ran a 25 foot usb cable to connect to a real computer. It's not like you are correcting often. Monoprice sells long usb cables cheaply.

You don't need a USB cable if you can connect the Anthem to your local network via Ethernet or WiFi.

rynberg

Forum Donor
Android is the most commun human interface available in the world at this beginning of the XXI Century.
A Windows computer can be used the first time to set the AVR parameters and implement a ARC correction curve.

But in the day to day use, when you want to modify a parameter before watching a movie (bass/treeble setting, night mode, center lever, switching a dsp mode...) how do you do that?

Not sure why you are going on about Android compatibility. You access the Web GUI through ANY device with a web browser -- laptop, PC, tablet, phone. You are making a big deal over nothing. There is still a handheld remote to adjust typical functions, as well as the OSD shows volume, input, surround mode, incoming signal. All modern processors are using this method.

rynberg

Forum Donor
Once again I am so glad I left Anthem after my MRX-700. They remind me of Chrysler in the early 90’s, still slapping 3 speed transmissions into their cars while everyone lest those behind a decade earlier. My MRX-700 had a serial port to connect to the laptop. I couldn’t even buy a laptop at the time with a serial port, not that I would have. So I had to spend money on a serial to USB adapter. They later started adding them to the box when they got so much feedback from customers who couldn’t connect.

Seems like they just don’t have the resources to make a current AVR. Considering Denon amps in their AVRs are quite good, I’m leaning towards them for my next purchase.

You're still complaining about a 15-year old receiver? In what way is the x40 series lacking compared to a Denon, technology-wise? The Anthem has a far superior room correction system, a great virtual input concept, and all the modern bells and whistles.

[edit] I feel obliged to point out that this year's Denons all have a faulty, buggy HDMI chipset that may need to be physically replaced to meet specifications. And I've owned various Denon receivers for 25 years.

Last edited:

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
You're still complaining about a 15-year old receiver?
Absolutely. Why I won’t buy a GM, Ford or Chrysler ever again. Went that route and got burned and I’m never looking back. And I’m going back between 20 and 35 years for them, so 15 is just getting started.

In what way is the x40 series lacking compared to a Denon, technology-wise?
So what has changed with Anthem? WiFi that won’t connect without a specific type of phone, how is that different than a cable adapter.

It also seems as though it lacks analog pass through, something that Denon, Yamaha, etc. have on even there cheapest AVR’s.

Last difference, ASR hasn’t tested it yet, and I will buy NOTHING until I see those results. Post #241 is interesting: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-anthem-avm-70-90-owners-thread.3181385/page-13

Last edited:
Top Bottom