• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Blizz

So I take as that mine will be coming straight from China. Maybe it is possible I could get a version with the ESD protection. But I guess that depends if they already have some made units with that fix.
Yeah very possible I know Apos stated in the emails they sent to everyone they said the replacement units will have ESD protection. I assume Topping is making a special batch for the replacements that won't include a power supply that Apos kind of implied in their email. Could just be a thing Apos is doing guess we just have to wait...

Email:
I'd like to provide you with an update on the status of the replacement program for the TOPPING L30.

As you might have heard, besides the DC protection design improvement on the L30 (serial number 2012 or higher), TOPPING has also further refined the L30 to address the ESD concern in rare instances. I am happy to let you know that the replacement unit you are entitled to will include all the latest revisions.

I have already gone ahead and submitted a shipment request for the replacement unit with our warehouse. And we'll have it shipped out to you as soon as we receive them from TOPPING. At this point, TOPPING is working overtime to ramp up the production of the L30. Your understanding and patience are greatly appreciated.

Please note that the replacement shipment will NOT include the power adapter for the L30. You will need to continue to use your current power adapter that came with your original L30 for the new unit. Once you have received the replacement L30, please kindly recycle your original L30 at your earliest convenience.

Thank you very much for partnering with us to resolve this issue. “

Xea

@JohnYang1997
Hi John, I've recently purchased L30 (Red) which is on its way to me. Can you confirm whether the new colors (Red/Blue) are from the
latest Dec batch (S/N 2012)? Thanks.

Turkleton

My L30's working fine now and I don't have much risk of ESD in my country... Will the replacement program be running throughout the year/coming 6 months? I'd prefer to wait for the latest Feb stock with updated protections

I asked my seller and their reply was "I need statistics to provide to the manufacturer." I'm not sure what that means, just asked if I can wait for the Feb stock.

For all other Hifi College buyers - i got the same message(Aliexpress seller, but, I assume same as the Amazon one) requesting for a 'certificate of destruction'. I asked who should issue the certificate - no reply. Then it hit me when I read replies here where the seller asked for pictures of the amp being scratched - this might be something which was simply lost in translation.

Maybe the mandarin->english translator spat out 'certificate' of destruction instead of 'proof' of destruction. This makes so much more sense!

Update: For those who'd prefer to wait for the February stock which should have all the updated protections - HiFi College told me to wait till Feb 25. At least have a confirmed date now.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
@JohnYang1997
Hi John, I've recently purchased L30 (Red) which is on its way to me. Can you confirm whether the new colors (Red/Blue) are from the
latest Dec batch (S/N 2012)? Thanks.
Good question.

Maybe the mandarin->english translator spat out 'certificate' of destruction instead of 'proof' of destruction. This makes so much more sense!
Yep, "proof" , and they're fine with deep scratches in chassis.

facboy

I replied to HiFicollege with a statement titled "Certificate of Destruction" in which I stated that I had destroyed the unit. In case they will be sending my statement to Topping I also made a copy of my statement, dated, as a PDF. They did not ask for a photo of my destruction but like you asked for a photo of the amp showing the serial. I personally would not continue use the current unit as I have already had another low serial number unit blow up my headphones. However, cosmetic destruction, such as engraving DEFECTIVE on the top would make it unsellable, which I think is the goal. Then toss it in the trash when the replacement arrived. (My opinion I do not speak for Topping or HiFiCollege).

APOS says they are currently selling L30s with Serial 2012, which have DC protection but not ESD protection that would protect the amp. I think most of us believe the replacement we will receive will be a later serial with both DC and ESD protection. I would rather wait a few weeks for that.

i'm a bit confused, i emailed Topping direct and they said 2012+ has the DC and ESD fixes.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I emailed HifiGo a couple of days ago. I still haven't got the email and I doubt I'll get a replacement. My Sn Starts with 2006. I'm never worried about ESD, even Linus builds pcs without a safety strap. I'm surprised Topping hasn't issued a public statement on there social media. Learned my lesson never buy products day one.

Quomz

I emailed HifiGo a couple of days ago. I still haven't got the email and I doubt I'll get a replacement. My Sn Starts with 2006. I'm never worried about ESD, even Linus builds pcs without a safety strap. I'm surprised Topping hasn't issued a public statement on there social media. Learned my lesson never buy products day one.
That’s not correct. Topping commented on this issue on their Facebook page. See here. I hope you hear back from your seller though.

Shivers

Bit of a strange post, what Linus does with PC components has nothing to do with a defect in an audio product, Linus also drops components a lot, is that something we should all be doing? And Topping has issued a public statement...

Tim M

I bought mine (SN: 2008) in December 2020 from a website based in Melbourne, Australia. They asked me to send it back (at my cost) and wait for all the others he'd sold to be returned so he can mail all of them to China together to save shipping... Then I have to wait for a shipment from China (or an air drop from Topping direct to me) after they received them... Quoted me 2 to 3 months turn around. That seem unreasonable to anyone else?

Shivers

I bought mine (SN: 2008) in December 2020 from a website based in Melbourne, Australia. They asked me to send it back (at my cost) and wait for all the others he'd sold to be returned so he can mail all of them to China together to save shipping... Then I have to wait for a shipment from China (or an air drop from Topping direct to me) after they received them... Quoted me 2 to 3 months turn around. That seem unreasonable to anyone else?

I'd be extremely angry if I was asked to cover any shipping whatsoever for no fault of my own. It sounds like that store hasn't had any talks with Topping about the resolution of the matter as most of the other shops so far seem to be handling it better. I would maybe check with them that they've spoken with Topping regarding this issue.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Bit of a strange post, what Linus does with PC components has nothing to do with a defect in an audio product, Linus also drops components a lot, is that something we should all be doing? And Topping has issued a public statement...

I was hearing of ESD protection and thought that.

facboy

yes that sounds ridiculous. you definitely shouldn't be paying to ship back a defective product, and whatever he wants to do to save 'his' money is his problem. lots of L30 retailers don't even require you to send them back, just a photo of it being damaged so it can't be resold. if it's going to be 2-3 months because of Topping then that is a bit beyond his control, but if it's because he wants to wait then forget it. tell him you want a refund, and find a better retailer.

facboy

I was hearing of ESD protection and thought that.

as others have said, what is the relevance of ESD in a completely different application? "when i was a kid we used to zap each other with ESD all the time and nobody died, i'm sure the L30 can't damage headphones even though the manufacturer says it can and has issued a product recall?" come on.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got a tracking number from HiFi College for my replacement L30 from Topping. So the replacement is on the way to me from China. It says "Yodel Logistics" and my first attempt to track was not successful (probably too soon). But, it seems like turnaround will be faster than some feared.

Last edited:

Frio

i'm a bit confused, i emailed Topping direct and they said 2012+ has the DC and ESD fixes.
Yeah they can say whatever they like but it is a fact that it has been only a couple of days that Mr yang was able to reproduce the issues.

Reactions: PSO

Tim M

I'd be extremely angry if I was asked to cover any shipping whatsoever for no fault of my own. It sounds like that store hasn't had any talks with Topping about the resolution of the matter as most of the other shops so far seem to be handling it better. I would maybe check with them that they've spoken with Topping regarding this issue.

yes that sounds ridiculous. you definitely shouldn't be paying to ship back a defective product, and whatever he wants to do to save 'his' money is his problem. lots of L30 retailers don't even require you to send them back, just a photo of it being damaged so it can't be resold. if it's going to be 2-3 months because of Topping then that is a bit beyond his control, but if it's because he wants to wait then forget it. tell him you want a refund, and find a better retailer.

Aye, I got the feeling the sellers information wasn't very firm from Topping so I'm waiting to hear what the go is before deciding to return or refund. The seller seems a good guy though, when I baulked at his time frame and asked for a refund he said yes straight away. Still, that'd be at my shipping expense I assume.
I'm really keen to get the same kind of deal people above are quoting, just send a pic and get it air-dropped toot sweet, all I want is to get back to listening without stressing my cans will melt.

facboy

Aye, I got the feeling the sellers information wasn't very firm from Topping so I'm waiting to hear what the go is before deciding to return or refund. The seller seems a good guy though, when I baulked at his time frame and asked for a refund he said yes straight away. Still, that'd be at my shipping expense I assume.
I'm really keen to get the same kind of deal people above are quoting, just send a pic and get it air-dropped toot sweet, all I want is to get back to listening without stressing my cans will melt.

no, return shipping for a faulty product should never be at the consumer's expense, regardless of whether it's for refund or exchange.

3125b

Major Contributor

threni

Major Contributor
For EU customers:
"Under EU law, within the legal guarantee period of two years, defective products must be repaired or replaced without any cost to the consumer. This includes any shipping costs." (https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/faq/index_en.htm#:~:text=Under EU law, within the,This includes any shipping costs.)
This does not apply if you don't buy in the EU of course.

And even if you do, prepare to fight your corner. You're not going to get a full refund on day 729:

===
The legal guarantee covers any defects presumed to have existed at the time of delivery and which become apparent within a period of two years. However, the crucial period is the 6 months after you bought your product:
  • Any fault that appears within 6 months will be presumed to have existed at the time of delivery. The seller must then repair or replace your phone free of charge, or reimburse you if repair or replacement is impossible.
  • After 6 months, you can still hold the seller responsible for any defects up to the end of the two-year guarantee period. However, the seller can ask you to prove that the defect existed when your goods were delivered. This is often difficult, and you will may have to involve a technical expert.
===

After a few months you're going to have to "talk to people" (fun fun fun!), get fobbed off, get a repair (which could take weeks/months with no compensation), or a refurb (which you could have bought in the first place, saving a lot of money).

facboy

And even if you do, prepare to fight your corner. You're not going to get a full refund on day 729:

===
The legal guarantee covers any defects presumed to have existed at the time of delivery and which become apparent within a period of two years. However, the crucial period is the 6 months after you bought your product:
  • Any fault that appears within 6 months will be presumed to have existed at the time of delivery. The seller must then repair or replace your phone free of charge, or reimburse you if repair or replacement is impossible.
  • After 6 months, you can still hold the seller responsible for any defects up to the end of the two-year guarantee period. However, the seller can ask you to prove that the defect existed when your goods were delivered. This is often difficult, and you will may have to involve a technical expert.
===

After a few months you're going to have to "talk to people" (fun fun fun!), get fobbed off, get a repair (which could take weeks/months with no compensation), or a refurb (which you could have bought in the first place, saving a lot of money).

luckily in this case the product hasn't been on the market for more than 6 months so unlikely to be a problem. in any case Topping have stated that it's a design flaw and issued a product recall.

Top Bottom