• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I see an electric dragster broke 201 mph at 7.52 seconds on its second ever pass.
But what's it sound like?
How many people would sit in the stands to watch race cars that make no noise?
For the most part it would lead to the end of spectator motor sport.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But what's it sound like?
How many people would sit in the stands to watch race cars that make no noise?
For the most part it would lead to the end of spectator motor sport.

Batteries wouldn't last long enough for a proper race anyway.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Any Shelby fans?
OMG, To me that's the ultimate sports car that was ever built, what an animal.
I was privileged to take a short drive in a big block in the mid-late 60s. You better be a very accomplished driver to think about putting your foot in it. I just goosed it a little coming down a entrance ramp of US-94 in Chicago and it tried to jump right out from under me. I had no business at all behind the wheel. LOL

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OMG, To me that's the ultimate sports car that was ever built, what an animal.
I was privileged to take a short drive in a big block in the mid-late 60s. You better be a very accomplished driver to think about putting your foot in it. I just goosed it a little coming down a entrance ramp of US-94 in Chicago and it tried to jump right out from under me. I had no business at all behind the wheel. LOL
Shelby started off with an AC Ace, fitted a big engine and wheels and made an icon.
I loved that car. Really beautiful.
For a long time there were several makers here making chassis and body kits for a multitude of engines.
My Griffith, which I wish I had never sold, was a latter day similar thing. Tube frame chassis, mine had a 4.7 litre big valve engine tuned by a Coventry race engine company. The only problem was it needed higher octane fuel than was available at most fuel stations, so a bottle of additive was adviseable.
It was the most fun to drive.
I see my mate Gordon Murray being mentioned in this forum. He ran a Griffith too :)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess it was 1967 or 8 the old man brought home a new Cortina GT. I think we were the only family in the Florida with one. With 1.6L 'Kent' engine, tuned headers, and single Weber 2bbl carb. Analog dash gauges, four speed. Why he bought that over a Beetle or Corona I'll never hope to understand. It was a real outlier in the US. One of the dealership's mechanics was our neighbor, so I suspect he talked the sales manager in to making pop an offer he couldn't refuse, just so they could move some inventory.

Anyhow, at the Ford dealership service lounge they had a 427 SOHC engine cutaway--exposing it's internals with pics of the Le Mans GT40, the Shelby AC, and the NASCAR team. How impressive was that to a kid? The AC stuck in my mind.

I had a little money saved up from mowing lawns, and went out and bought a plastic model. The kit featured the option to build it with either a small block 289 with four Weber's and velocity stacks, or the monster 427 with dual carbs. I went with the first--nothing looks as cool as in line Webers with stacks.

I can't even imagine the bidding on Shelby's personal 427.

64-AC_Cobra-num8-DV-12-AI-e05-800.jpg

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was a kid of 18 I bought one of these. 396, Hurst shifter...
A few years after the Cobra model episode I could drive, and like most teens, was really in to cars. A high school buddy talked his mom into buying him a red Pontiac GTO--used of course. We spent one summer vacation installing a Hurst shifter. I have no idea why we did that. I remember the Hurst had a white ball knob on the end. In addition, we jacked up the back and installed a 'glass pack' muffler--called a Cherry Bomb. I'm sure the neighbors were thrilled with that.

Audio-wise we installed an under dash 8 track tape deck. 8 track had to have been the worst sound system ever developed. There was no way to fast forward in order to select tracks, and half way into the song the thing would stop and select the next track tape loop.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the ultimate sports car that was ever built is the Lotus Elan

Gordon Murray is working on a 'replacement'

AudioTodd

Ferrari 355 spider
Very cool to know. My 1997 F355 Spider is now back for sale from the guy that bought it on consignment when I sold it 15 years ago. There are certain things known to happen in a car like that and all of them have been addressed. It is not “reliability” so much as a very high level of performance from the hardware so certain things wear out quicker than they do on a Toyota. It is very tempting to buy it back...

BUT I still have my F355 Berlinetta that I bought at a rather youthful age in 2001. It is a favorite. As is my 1978 512 Berlinetta Boxer (carbureted) - I think it pretty well meets your criteria even if it is in a relatively mild state of tune for a Ferrari (340 BHP from 5 liters isn’t really pushing the envelope in Italy - even then).

The new cars are video games on wheels. What a guy needs to master is a built up 1967 Alfa Romeo step nose GTV. If you can drive that at speed on a road course (we obviously do not speed on the public roads...), you can drive anything.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just released...
@Frank Dernie five minutes of your time and your comment on it would be very much appreciated.
Happy and Healthy 2021
It may improve efficiently but not the way Gordon is explaining.
Firstly, he has drawn a two dimensional flow. As soon as a lower pressure is developed under the car it starts to draw in air from the sides, the flow then becomes 3-D and pretty well everything he says is therefore not happening like that.
That is why an aircraft wing has a very much bigger span (width) than length (chord) and is tapered towards the tip. Approximately a portion of the span at each end is doing nothing but prevent the flow from higher to lower pressure areas of the wing killing the lift. The "rule-of-thumb" is that this amounts to about one-chord of the wing at each end is cancelling the effect so a wing needs to be about twice as wide as it is long before it generates any non-zero vertical force from 2D flow, since cars are never more than twice as wide as they are long this means nowhere on a car could be the flow be as Gordon drew, I'm afraid.
The last time cars had flow under them like this was when we had sliding skirts which (mostly) sealed to the ground, preventing the inflow. They were banned from F1 in 1980, so t is 40 years since a car had underbody flow like that, and it was never like this on a road car.
Even then there is the tyre to consider. Vehicle underbody aero in my 40 years of experience is dominated by wheel flow. The air obviously can't go under the tyre so just ahead of the tyre contact patch you get two powerful lateral jets of air being squashed out of the way.
Even when we had sliding skirts these gave disturbance. At least 50% of the aero work in racing is minimising the huge detrimental effect of the wheel wakes.
So, the fan may improve efficiency by pumping air into the wake, reducing base pressure.
It may in some way add downforce but certainly not as explained here.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It may improve efficiently but not the way Gordon is explaining.
Firstly, he has drawn a two dimensional flow. As soon as a lower pressure is developed under the car it starts to draw in air from the sides, the flow then becomes 3-D and pretty well everything he says is therefore not happening like that.
what do you think about the first three minutes: description of the problem and basic ground effects?

HerbertWest

Welcome to ASR!
There is only one truthful answer to your question, because it makes LOTS of money for everyone involved in the high end industry. The print and web media along with the manufacturers have all joined together to brainwash the public into believing more $ buys better sound. I got my copy of TAS the other day promoting the glorious sound of the TecDAS Air Force Zero $450,000 US turntable. Yes you read that right, a almost half million dollars to drag a rock thru a ditch. o_O OMG

For 5% of that amount, a thorough audiophile might want to build a 100 Gb-Ethernet based NAS-Streamer setup with one of those 100 GbE switches with latency/jitter down in the tens of nanosecond range. Fiber links would also avoid any kind of ground loops. Of course, the end sonic result would be bit-level indistinguishable from using a 50 bucks consumer Gb Ethernet switch. :)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You were pretty close.

Went for a little over my budget...
That's just an insane amount of money for a car. I understand the collector bit but it's just impossible for a blue collar working fool like me to understand having that kind of change to spend on something you can never use. Just park it in some high security location and look at it on occasion. :facepalm:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I looked at building a "fake snake" kit before i bought my TVR Griffith, which was similarly raw but waterproof.
This isn't mine but same colour in and out :)
View attachment 100712
I'm just about to take on my dads TVR 3000M .. needs a bit of love and new wheels.

Top Bottom