• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705P / 708P

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
So you have Thomas' power cords. Now we know.
Oh the US one is useful as those plugs sound better so naturally that’s what I use in my hifi room :D

The EU ones are just some ill conceived half baked design, no good to anyone but they can’t let go of it..

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Maybe the dealer is gray market importer. Thomas are they shown as authorized dealer on JBL site?
No they are not a grey market importer, the power supply is universal so I guess the JBL folks just thought if they stick two leads in every box that will do.

So loads of folks get what they don’t need as well as what they do and a good few folks get nothing useful at all..,

It probably makes sense in Mexico ..

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IIRC the UK uses a different plug than the EU (and different than what we use in the USA, natch).
Of course we do, and our's hurt like hell if you stand on them.
plug-top-uk-3-pin-3-amp-white-bakelite.jpg

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Blu tak! One of our former members would be happy to read that. Joking aside, this seems really bad on the part of JBL.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Ah the sound, they sound like small monitors. Great for desktop use I’d imagen, fairly bright out the box but clean and detailed and They image really well. As for using them as fronts for tv Audio they are a little inadequate even in my modest room ( 4 meters by 6 ish) , they just don’t throw a big enough sound but they are small and do make ‘sense’ with my 40” screen in my small room just more scale would be my preference . You’d need the 708’s for a substantial movie/tv setup certainly as your fronts .

If you want a meaty pair of small but high performing monitors I’d suggest these are worth a listen.

What they are not is terrible cold anti music devices that destroy all feeling, in their own scaled down way they convey what’s on a record in as accurate a fashion as one could wish. If the emotion is on the recording and your used to relating to that its likely these JBL’s won’t deny you the pleasure.

They are setup in my tv room, not plugged them into my main system and I get the feeling they can be driven much harder than the little arcam ir DAC2 that I’m using right now.

Can’t plug them into the main system as the rca-xlr cables were shipped the wrong length :D

( I know, all the shit falls on my head right)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Blu tak! One of our former members would be happy to read that. Joking aside, this seems really bad on the part of JBL.
I fixed it without blu tak in the end, I took it apart and reassembled it without any Mexican flair .

12B4A

I'm not a big fan of the iPod-on-the-back design especially since we can't dim the display nor turn off the LEDs on the front. Gaffer's tape fixed many problems. Maybe they forgot to put the bead of adhesive down when assembling that display to the amp pan in Vietnam (amp pan made in Vietnam, boxes assembled in Mexico)? Either way, no bueno.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Do you have the input sensitivity set to -10dbv ?
Yes, the +4 is for high output gear and my little arcam dac is not that..

Will be intresting to see what setting I need when I connect it to my preamp as it’s ment to have high output so guessing +4.

Iv not bothered with the various EQ settings though.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
So it was bad assembly, not bad design? Wondering if it's likely to reoccur.
Well there is no obvious dampening material I could see, I’d say it’s likely to be a common occurrence. If you tap the screen and it’s going to be a issue you can hear it ‘rattle’ a little. It should sound ‘soild’ .

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Does the 7 series hiss (idle noise) like the 3 series?

---

Oh, found this earlier from jhaider:

With both 7-seriesi, BSS BLU-50, and the quietest amp I know of (ATI AT4007) there is still some hiss. This hiss is not audible at the listening position in a room, but it would be on a desktop.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Does the 7 series hiss (idle noise) like the 3 series?

---

Oh, found this earlier from jhaider:

With both 7-seriesi, BSS BLU-50, and the quietest amp I know of (ATI AT4007) there is still some hiss. This hiss is not audible at the listening position in a room, but it would be on a desktop.
Mine hisses , infact it’s more of a obvious electrical sound than typical hiss from a speaker. If I put my ear a few inches away from the tweeter it’s quite loud imo and I’d think audible from a desktop position as well.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Snakes in the speaker?

Are these designed for desktop monitor applications?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So lets see here. You couldn't get them. You did get them. No useful power cord included. One rattles. And they have a nasty grungy hiss. They have a small sound (maybe like old LS3/5's?).

So far it isn't encouraging.

Top Bottom