• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705P / 708P

Mivera

Major Contributor
Great news! Get rid of all the deadweight and increase the sales force! The new recruitment institutions will only grow the Harman legacy. Win win for all!

Due to the exceptional news, Harman dealers will be giving free Samsung t shirts away with every purchase of a Crown amp!

Last edited:

Valentin R

It'd be nice to corner someone knowledgable at JBL Pro and get them to divulge what is going on with their unreliable supply chain and problems with expectation management.

Crown is now being built in Mexico Plant and that has had a toll on production efficiency

my serials are close to 500 units but you wold need allot more to get 48 unit pallets all over US and rest of the world

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Alert: Stupid questions below!

1. Why does the 705P not have a USB input interface?
2. Why does the pro audio industry use AES? Do they not use a computer?
3. If I buy these, I will want to stream to my PC and connect the PC to these. Any recommendations for USB to AES converters?
4. Since I am asking these questions, should I not even be considering these speakers?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Alert: Stupid questions below!

1. Why does the 705P not have a USB input interface?
2. Why does the pro audio industry use AES? Do they not use a computer?
3. If I buy these, I will want to stream to my PC and connect the PC to these. Any recommendations for USB to AES converters?
4. Since I am asking these questions, should I not even be considering these speakers?

Pure conjecture on my part. Because an educated guess would be over-stating my level of informed-ness.

I am guessing the target customers were people in recording studios.

So they'll likely have a pro interface connected via USB or Thunderbolt to their computer. And it will have an AES/EBU output.

This Mutec unit would do what you want. Feed it USB from the PC and it outputs the result in all these various digital formats.

https://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-12.php?PHPSESSID=l64ec3m2j0icv5ilfb5lur5fl2

I think it is usually $499.

This Mutec would also do what you want. Costs more, but it also is a reclocker. Triple points for impressing your audiophile friends.

https://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-3-plus-usb.php#description

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Iv ordered the cables needed to connect my pre amp to the JBL’s and Iv also got a arcam dac that can do volume control so I can take a digital out from my TAD CDP and see how that goes.

They are for the tv room really and I will end up feeding that arcam dac via my TVs optical output , then onto the JBL’s for simple stereo.

Eventually adding a sub and more 7 series speakers for surround sound but That will have to wait till 2019 as I want to implement Trinnov in my hifi room this year. Funds are not infinite unfortunately.

I’m intrested to see the options and ( subjective) effectiveness of the various room EQ settings on the 705p’s.

SPFC

Iv ordered the cables needed to connect my pre amp to the JBL’s and Iv also got a arcam dac that can do volume control so I can take a digital out from my TAD CDP and see how that goes.

They are for the tv room really and I will end up feeding that arcam dac via my TVs optical output , then onto the JBL’s for simple stereo.

Eventually adding a sub and more 7 series speakers for surround sound but That will have to wait till 2019 as I want to implement Trinnov in my hifi room this year. Funds are not infinite unfortunately.

I’m intrested to see the options and ( subjective) effectiveness of the various room EQ settings on the 705p’s.
Great news. I am glad you took the plunge and ordered a pair! Do you know when you will be receiving them (I was actually afraid to ask!)?

Looking forward to reading your review!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Great news. I am glad you took the plunge and ordered a pair! Do you know when you will be receiving them (I was actually afraid to ask!)?

Looking forward to reading your review!
Tuesday.., apparently o_O

I will let you know how it goes. I’m hoping they give a detailed and stable/fixed soundstage, mitigate the room somewhat and deliver a decent thump.. I’m a little sceptical I’m not a fan of drivers in a box, preferring a bit more engineering in the enclosure but we will see.

I’m in mourning for the phantom.., phantoms :D

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So if you use the analog inputs, it gets converted to digital inside these speakers and the EQ is done in the digital domain?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So if you use the analog inputs, it gets converted to digital inside these speakers and the EQ is done in the digital domain?

I don't know for sure, but yes that would be my guess.

Codec chips are pretty common and can perform at a high level these days. What is a Codec chip? A chip that incorporates both ADC and DAC (and often more) together in one chip.
http://www.ti.com/audio-ic/converters/codec/products.html

I seem to recall the little LSR305's have basically a codec chip that does crossovers, EQ and includes the power amps.

One of my Focusrite recording interfaces the 18i20 has a single chip that does 8 channels of ADC and DAC functions. It works quite well. You may have missed it, I used it to do 8 loopback recordings of music in a thread a year or so back. I provided digital originals and 8th generation copies thru the device. Results indicated people couldn't pick the original out from the 8th gen copies. So feeding the analog out of a DAC you may have already and getting it digitized an extra time isn't likely to be audible.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know for sure, but yes that would be my guess.

Codec chips are pretty common and can perform at a high level these days. What is a Codec chip? A chip that incorporates both ADC and DAC (and often more) together in one chip.
http://www.ti.com/audio-ic/converters/codec/products.html

I seem to recall the little LSR305's have basically a codec chip that does crossovers, EQ and includes the power amps.

One of my Focusrite recording interfaces the 18i20 has a single chip that does 8 channels of ADC and DAC functions. It works quite well. You may have missed it, I used it to do 8 loopback recordings of music in a thread a year or so back. I provided digital originals and 8th generation copies thru the device. Results indicated people couldn't pick the original out from the 8th gen copies. So feeding the analog out of a DAC you may have already and getting it digitized an extra time isn't likely to be audible.

That is very cool assuming it was blind. I remember seeing something similar done on gearslutz where they were ranking DACs/ADCs. A while ago, I was running my turntable into the Benchmark ADC and pass-thru via Audacity into my Classe CP-800 with EQ applied. Too many hops and wires, so gave up quickly.

I am really hoping for more automation in this area that is also reasonably priced. There should really be no more than 2 boxes in the chain - a PC/Turntable and loudspeakers. Room EQ should be fully automated - set the microphone, press a button, go get some coffee and come back to a calibrated system. Why isn't anyone doing this for dummies like me?

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pure conjecture on my part. Because an educated guess would be over-stating my level of informed-ness.

I am guessing the target customers were people in recording studios.

So they'll likely have a pro interface connected via USB or Thunderbolt to their computer. And it will have an AES/EBU output.

This Mutec unit would do what you want. Feed it USB from the PC and it outputs the result in all these various digital formats.

https://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-12.php?PHPSESSID=l64ec3m2j0icv5ilfb5lur5fl2

I think it is usually $499.

This Mutec would also do what you want. Costs more, but it also is a reclocker. Triple points for impressing your audiophile friends.

https://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-3-plus-usb.php#description

Thanks. That's quite expensive for an "adapter". I found a cheaper one: https://www.amazon.com/GUSTARD-32Bit-384KHz-Digital-Interface/dp/B00PU3R6KY but a reviewer says it doesn't work with Win10.

Is the AES interface asynchronous? Is it pretty standard for components to buffer this input and re-clock like they do with USB/XMOS?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
So if you use the analog inputs, it gets converted to digital inside these speakers and the EQ is done in the digital domai
That is very cool assuming it was blind. I remember seeing something similar done on gearslutz where they were ranking DACs/ADCs. A while ago, I was running my turntable into the Benchmark ADC and pass-thru via Audacity into my Classe CP-800 with EQ applied. Too many hops and wires, so gave up quickly.

I am really hoping for more automation in this area that is also reasonably priced. There should really be no more than 2 boxes in the chain - a PC/Turntable and loudspeakers. Room EQ should be fully automated - set the microphone, press a button, go get some coffee and come back to a calibrated system. Why isn't anyone doing this for dummies like me?
yea.., errr I need that too coz I’m like, not clever init.

There are things that will do it but it’s all bloody expensive and it’s yet another box..

I like the look of the Trinnov stuff, the 3 pole mic that offers some phase benefits and other such things that might be beyond my fragile eggshell mind.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes, it was blind. I posted files here and another forum, and people could vote. Amir found a tell on one track from poor editing. Otherwise I got your typical low rate of response, but the results were random. Not good enough to be complete proof of audible transparency under the circumstances. But very interesting for those who think digital has a sound.

As for digitizing a turntable, it might be simpler to use an analog phono stage, then have a hardware ADC which goes to the DAC. Not so many hops and EQ is done by the phono stage.

I assume this is something like you had in mind. Feed it a cartridge signal, and it does RIAA, ADC and spits out PCM or DSD for a playback DAC. $999 for this

http://www.psaudio.com/products/nuwave-phono-converter/#tab-features

Top Bottom