• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705P / 708P

Old Listener

Thanks, Blumlein 88. The review sounds very encouraging. I hope that Thomas and others here will be able to write their own reviews soon.

B&H Photo showed the 705P as in stock yesterday. I had a twitch.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They designed the whole speaker/amp to be assembled simply.

Have you figured out how to unscrew the front baffle to access the driver mounting screws? At least on the 705i there's a window brace right behind the baffle, and I can't figure out how to access the screws. That giant snail port also hinders access. I assume the 705p is similarly built.

The 708i is easier to disassemble.

12B4A

Perhaps I should have wrote speakerbox/amp. I didn't disassemble the speaker box far enough to get access to the drivers but like you observed, there is a brace in the middle of the box and a brace right behind the baffle that makes accessing some of the driver screws not possible until you can get the brace out of the way. I didn't dig out all the internal batting to confirm this but I'd be surprised if you didn't have to break some glue bonds on the braces to get access to the drivers. It's not quite welding the hood shut but it seems JBL is expecting the drivers to not need servicing.

Edit: I just took another look. There are notches in the braces as well as the outer shell that would let one use a T15 torx bit straight down about 10" to several screws holding the front baffle to the box. I don't have any shanks that long or thin (like this) to confirm.

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Edit: I just took another look. There are notches in the braces as well as the outer shell that would let one use a T15 torx bit straight down about 10" to several screws holding the front baffle to the box. I don't have any shanks that long or thin (like this) to confirm.

Interesting, thanks! I'll have to reopen my 705i's to see if they have similar notches. I'm thinking about taking the baffle off of one and building it into our mantel to use as a center channel. I know the EQ requirements will be different, but I can measure and listen, and the BSS processor has plenty of flexibility.

12B4A

Here's a brief tour of the 705P:
Front
705P front.jpg

Rear
705P rear.jpg

DSP/Control module underside
705P module underside.jpg

Pan down (we want bush)
705P speakerbox.jpg

Upskirt of electronics
705P innards.jpg

Controller board
705P control board.jpg

DSP board
705P DSP board.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Here's a brief tour of the 705P:
Very KOOL!
Thanks for the effort and post.
Hope you can get it back together now. ;)

12B4A

Since you were one of the first to have the 705/8i, you ought to be able to advise others whether to go with the P or the I.:)

Valentin R

Hi

to be fair i think the 700 Powered will be a great success not because of a change in sound (to me identical) its they are very practical to set up
the majority of medium to small music studios don not have machine rooms
while DCI amps are not as loud as Itech if you have a quiet room you will hear them, that is a turn off
you could not travel with them but the 705P can fit in a plastic case and go every ware.

I have demo to 4 different engineers and i already sold 2 pairs and one is very probable

that is a very nice rate specialty when you are being compared against more expensive or bigger contenders

the sound off the 7 series is just neutral wide low distortion power full

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

to be fair i think the 700 Powered will be a great success not because of a change in sound (to me identical)

Have you tried the 7-series i with a BSS processor? If so, I'm curious if there are differences in the noise floor between the powered and passive.

With both 7-seriesi, BSS BLU-50, and the quietest amp I know of (ATI AT4007) there is still some hiss. This hiss is not audible at the listening position in a room, but it would be on a desktop.

One issue brought up by BSS tech support is that the ATI amp doesn't have any attenuators on the input end, unlike pro gear.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Got a email from the folks i place my order with for these speakers, further delay and no date for arrival from the uk JBL distributor.

Iv cancelled my order, JBL uk are simply pathetic.
Amir wasn't allowed to purchase a Uptone Regen
You're being denied a pair of JBL speakers.
Are we noticing a pattern here? :mad: :D

12B4A

Iv cancelled my order, JBL uk are simply pathetic.

It'd be nice to corner someone knowledgable at JBL Pro and get them to divulge what is going on with their unreliable supply chain and problems with expectation management.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom