• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

Neel

Forum Donor
Curious why you would duplicate the Roon endpoint functionality of the shd studio with the auralic Aries?

@win You do have a keen eye :)

My stereo setup also doubles up as my tv sound system - I use apple tv to stream content and use airplay to send the audio to my stereo setup. In my experience, the airplay on the SHD studio isn't very stable. It works at times and doesn't work most of the times. So I added Auralic Aries to the setup - it works like a charm for both airplay and roon.

Neel

Forum Donor
The Salons are what? 86dB? I guess it is at 1W power rating. What is it at 2.828 Vrms?

Good point. I guess I should have clarified - I was looking for measured and theoretical improvements. I guess whether the difference is audible is debatable.

win

@win You do have a keen eye :)

My stereo setup also doubles up as my tv sound system - I use apple tv to stream content and use airplay to send the audio to my stereo setup. In my experience, the airplay on the SHD studio isn't very stable. It works at times and doesn't work most of the times. So I added Auralic Aries to the setup - it works like a charm for both airplay and roon.

I see. I have a similar setup with my tv, shd studio, and Apple TV all sharing the same setup. Instead of airplay though, I stream to the shd studio separately through Ethernet, and have the tv output digital spdif via toslink. This way I can send appletv audio (or my pc or Nintendo switch which also connect to my tv directly) to the shd studio. I use it as a digital preamp in addition to the room correction.

jmillar

With Pre90 Resistor Ladder Volume control and Remote control,
Which is a tempting features..

Is it bad to sound quality if
using D90 MQA in DAC mode into Pre90,
Pre90 to A90 (Mid Gain MAXED full Volume),
And A90 to Headphones?

Doing so because i guess maybe Pre90 is a better preamp device than the digital built in pre amp in D90

When the A90 came out we were advised to use it simply as a hadphone amp because the preamp built in the D90 was not as good. Topping would in due course bring out a generic preamp for the system I/O hub.

What would the best 'topology' be today? When the Pre90 comes out I will output my D90 into it. Where should the input of my A90 headphone amp ideally go? Into one of the (few) outputs of the new Pre90?

We are now advised that a preamp is a passive transparent 'switch', perhaps not longer truly needed in a contemporary sound system. Methinks it's a not inconsecuential bit of cash for such a 'menial' function, all things considered...

Last edited:

win

When the A90 came out we were advised to use it simply as a hadphone amp because the preamp built in the D90 was not as good. Topping would in due course bring out a generic preamp for the system I/O hub.

What would the best 'topology' be today? When the Pre90 comes out I will output my D90 into it. Where should the input of my A90 headphone amp ideally go? Into one of the (few) outputs of the new Pre90?

We are now advised that a preamp is a passive transparent 'switch', perhaps not longer truly needed in a contemporary sound system. Methinks it's a not inconsecuential bit of cash for such a 'menial' function, all things considered...

You're making it way too complicated.

It's an analog preamp. It selects analog sources and applies attenuation, and can be controlled through a remote.

If you only have one source that has its own volume control, there is literally no point in using this.

I'd say that if you need this, you would simply know that already based on your system. This isn't something you cram into your system for better numbers.

Sephula

I love how they made it reduce the volume automatically, because that was one of the biggest gripes with people commenting on the A90 thread. Of course, that's probably one of the reasons it's $600. LMAO! Well, careful what you wish for! But, then again... At least, they can just point to the Pre 90 anytime somebody starts to complain that they're worried their kids are gonna blow up Dad's stuff. It's an additional $600 for that kind of peace of mind. LOL I just wish it were more like a Goldpoint, with multiple in/outs of the same type (2x RCA/XLR), and a transparent switched relay attenuator. But, that would undoubtedly add an additional $600 to the cost! ROFLMAO

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I love how they made it reduce the volume automatically, because that was one of the biggest gripes with people commenting on the A90 thread. Of course, that's probably one of the reasons it's $600. LMAO! Well, careful what you wish for! But, then again... At least, they can just point to the Pre 90 anytime somebody starts to complain that they're worried their kids are gonna blow up Dad's stuff. It's an additional $600 for that kind of peace of mind. LOL I just wish it were more like a Goldpoint, with multiple in/outs of the same type (2x RCA/XLR), and a transparent switched relay attenuator. But, that would undoubtedly add an additional $600 to the cost! ROFLMAO
What do you laugh your ass off for? Pre90 does its job and has a price tag corresponding to its own cost, distribution cost and competition. No one forces anyone to buy Pre90. When they need it they'd know 100%.
Why not just make something with similar performance and features and sell it for cheaper and undercut us? ;) I was told the same thing by THX. So there is A90 L30 A50s A30pro.

Sephula

What do you laugh your ass off for? Pre90 does its job and has a price tag corresponding to its own cost, distribution cost and competition. No one forces anyone to buy Pre90. When they need it they'd know 100%.
Why not just make something with similar performance and features and sell it for cheaper and undercut us? ;) I was told the same thing by THX. So there is A90 L30 A50s A30pro.

Oh, I know. I know. I'm just laughing at the people who were complaining that the A90 was missing those features. Now, they can spend an additional $600 to get them. Which is what preamps are all about. Everybody knows that selling preamps is where audio equipment manufacturers make their money. First, they sell you amp which sounds really great, but is missing a few key features. Then, they upsell you a really expensive pre to add those missing features. It's just the way this industry works.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Oh, I know. I know. I'm just laughing at the people who were complaining that the A90 was missing those features. Now, they can spend an additional $600 to get them. Which is what preamps are all about. Everybody knows that selling preamps is where audio equipment manufacturers make their money. First, they sell you amp which sounds really great, but is missing a few key features. Then, they upsell you a really expensive pre to add those missing features. It's just the way this industry works.
Except it's not? They are not missing out anything that's intended for the use case. Most people don't need the preamp. That's all.

Sephula

Except it's not? They are not missing out anything that's intended for the use case. Most people don't need the preamp. That's all.

I know. Those are extra features, and it's pointless to pay for things you don't need. Having them separate allows more flexibility, lower prices, etc.

jmillar

You're making it way too complicated.

It's an analog preamp. It selects analog sources and applies attenuation, and can be controlled through a remote.

If you only have one source that has its own volume control, there is literally no point in using this.

I'd say that if you need this, you would simply know that already based on your system. This isn't something you cram into your system for better numbers.

Thanks for the clarification. The "daisy chaining" seemed so absurdly redundant.

In the living room I currently use a Yamaha A-S801 that I will update soon. (thus my current doubts and hesitations).
For headphone use I currently drive the A90 directly from my D90 deprecating (probably unnecessarily) the D90 headphone amp as well as my amp's internal dac and somewhat "average" headphone output.
When my main system is complete I will move my D90/A90 combo to my bedside table.
Thanks!

Guerilla

Thanks for the clarification. The "daisy chaining" seemed so absurdly redundant.

In the living room I currently use a Yamaha A-S801 that I will update soon. (thus my current doubts and hesitations).
For headphone use I currently drive the A90 directly from my D90 deprecating (probably unnecessarily) the D90 headphone amp as well as my amp's internal dac and somewhat "average" headphone output.
When my main system is complete I will move my D90/A90 combo to my bedside table.
Thanks!
Keep your Yamaha. You need the right speakers for your room if you want upgrade your sound. Possibly you ”only” need to treat your room to get the sound you dream about. If you are lucky -some roomcorection can get you there. Dont know if there are pre outs and main ins or a tapeloop on your Yammy where room corection can be set between. Upgrading amplification only makes more than a very small difference in rare cases.
Cheers

Guerilla

Of course they are. That's where the money's at.

That makes my ice cream melt all down the cone. Thanks for the heads up!
Sephula You need to understand that there is not a lot money made on preamplifiers, cause the demand is so small that you cant mass produce in the same way as integated amps or dacs

GCL

Was any testing done on the Outputs on the EXT90? Also has any bought and heard the Pre90?

Veri

Master Contributor
Was any testing done on the Outputs on the EXT90? Also has any bought and heard the Pre90?
Third graph is done using Ext input... no difference, same performance.

Cujobob

I’ve had my Pre90 since last week and I’m really enjoying it. I haven’t really done direct comparisons, but I ‘think’ it’s made an improvement in my system that was previously the E30 into a Purifi based power amplifier. My normal listening levels were -30 to -20 and I think that’s a part of why the sound has improved here. I really like the way the unit looks, the resistor based volume control seems much quieter than the Saga preamplifier I have stored away at the moment - the volume changing doesn’t bother me at all, but I don’t sit at a desk with this preamplifier.

Outside of the lack of inputs, my complaint about this units would basically be one thing, at this point; the remote control range sucks. The Schiit preamplifiers have much greater range, this can only change the volume and modes properly within about 6-8 feet. I sit further than that which means I have to get up to change the volume - not ideal. I feel like this is a major flaw in a stereo preamplifier. It has the same range as the E30's remote. If anyone knows of a good product I can use to extend this, please let me know.

Top Bottom