• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

da Choge

Forum Donor
I think this Pre90 with the Ext90 would be ideal (for my uses) if the Ext90 had one [or two] more SE inputs, instead of the 3rd balanced input, with one of the two [or three] SE inputs being configured in a unity gain HT Bypass mode. Hook it up with an Apollon Purifi Stereo amp and I'd have the ideal setup to use both with my D90 and AVR. Additionally, if it had the ability (at least on the remote) to select inputs discretely, then that would be primo; alas . . . However, maybe this is a capable-enough preamp to still work in this scenario, even if the Audio Genie cannot grant me these "wishes".
Topping: do you confirm that you can fix the volume of a given input while still having the possibility to control the volume (up or down) for the second input?
Is it possible to set one of the SE inputs, either on the Pre90 or on the Ext90 to act as a pass-through input, as far as volume control is concerned? From what others have posted, it sounds like one of the inputs (one of the RCA SE's, namely) could be set to +0dB, while the other inputs remain subject to volume control by the Pre90. Just wanted to confirm that this is true.

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Currently I am using Yamaha dsp-a1 as preamp for testing two different DAC. I wonder if using Pre90 would make any difference....

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ordered one.

Lets see how it compares to my current DIY preamp with it's £ 5 car stereo potentiometer for volume control....

Neel

Forum Donor
I have been using my Topping PRE90 for two weeks now. My impressions are very similar to those of @Cujobob

Adding PRE90 certainly did not degrade the sound in any way. I ‘feel’ adding the PRE90 has improved the overall sound quality (SQ) of my system.

Since I have been using AHB2s in bridged mono mode for the last few months, I had this nagging thought that for most of my normal listening I was using the DAC at low volumes and I might be taking a hit on the SQ. Adding the PRE90 has either removed that thought in my mind or actually made some difference (for the better) in my setup. In either case, I am very happy now

Overall, at this price point, I am happy with the PRE90 on sound quality (no downside on SQ). In my opinion, it is as transparent as it gets. Technical performance-wise I think it is state of the art. Kudos to @JohnYang1997 and team.

Where it is lacking is the usability front. The unit that I have received has a very low range for the remote (even less than 6 feet – maybe my unit is faulty and might have to be eventually replaced). In addition, others in this forum have mentioned that the remote does not work at all even with a slight angle, which was my experience too – it must be perfectly pointed straight! I don’t have a big issue with not being able to directly select my inputs. In my opinion, it is a minor irritant compared to physically getting up and going close to my audio rack to be able to change volume every time!

@Cujobob & @Guerilla I had a Logitech harmony companion in a different room. I have moved it to where the PRE90 is installed – it certainly makes the PRE90 more usable.

ivarsmu

I'm happy user for couple days PRE90+Ext together with D90 (which I bought a year ago) and Orchard BOSC (Starcrimson) power amp.
I like everything: build quality, UI, dimensions.
My question to @JohnYang1997 is about Remote controls. There is RC15A for D90 and RC16A for PRE90.
Maybe there is one universal remote substituting those two? There was aluminium one for older products? Or not?

NoSnakeOil2

Pre-amps are a mystery to me. OK, the can provide volume or tone controls, and they can provide several more inputs if you are using a separate power amp. What do they do, and why do they often cost more than any other component in a system? As a newbie, please be kind. )))

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Guerilla

Pre-amps are a mystery to me. OK, the can provide volume or tone controls, and they can provide several more inputs if you are using a separate power amp. What do they do, and why do they often cost more than any other component in a system? As a newbie, please be kind. )))
Sometimes they are needed if there is an impedance, gain or loudness mismatch between your source and your power-amplifier. If you have an integrated amplifier. Then it allready has a build-in pre-amplifier so off course You wont need one.

They are costly cause they are for the minority, that are so serious that they bother to mix and match stereo components to get exactly what they want instead of just buying a system in one box. There are no reason you cant find a system in one box with great sound, and it will be much cheaper because it will be mass-prodused. Another pro about a good Pre-amplifier, is that it will not be obsolete. You can reuse or sell it when you change needs or speakers that has other demands for amplification.

Matt_Photo

OK, but most external DACS can also can control the volume and provide a proper load. What would be the point of this product if you only have digital sources? "Most folk", it's arbitrary, A lot of us have analog sources, and it is what this product is about. Do you know many preamps, the product, not the topology, that has only a single source?, in this case, it is 2 stock with expansion options so you believe most peoples that will purchase that will strictly plug their DAC in it and only use it as a volume knob? Come on... We have better stuff to do with our money.
Just reading through this chain and came across your comment.
I'm currently running a Cyrus integrated amp and a Chord Qutest but am looking at getting a March Audio P452 Purifi amp and then looking at options to change the integrated for something else. I needed something to take the input of the Qutest and then control the volume for the amp. What is the best option if not going for a Pre like this?
Sorry its probably quite a newbie questions. I'm still trying to read up as much on the forum as possible.

Guerilla

What is the best option if not going for a Pre like this?
Find another Pre with similar perfomance at a lower price, Qutest doesnt have balanced output and P452 doesnt need ballanced output so theres no need for you to spend extra to get ballanced. Or if you feel like it - Buy the Pre90 and be prepared for if you ever get a source with ballanced out. You can then deside to use balanced cables between the Pre and the poweramp but the conectors are much more expensive. Oh. You could also keep your Cyrus since there is a chance it sound just as good or better than the purifi.

misterdog

use balanced cables between the Pre and the poweramp but the conectors are much more expensive.

You must be using some very cheap interconnects.

https://www.designacable.com/dj-rca...tar-quad-balanced-male-xlr-to-female-xlr.html

Balanced XLR cables as used by musicians and in studios, £ 22 for a pair. Topping also now have their own balanced cables.

You could also keep your Cyrus since there is a chance it sound just as good or better than the purifi.

Little chance in my opinion.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been using my Topping PRE90 for two weeks now. My impressions are very similar to those of @Cujobob

Adding PRE90 certainly did not degrade the sound in any way. I ‘feel’ adding the PRE90 has improved the overall sound quality (SQ) of my system.

Since I have been using AHB2s in bridged mono mode for the last few months, I had this nagging thought that for most of my normal listening I was using the DAC at low volumes and I might be taking a hit on the SQ.
You were using a lot of digital attenuation so you were losing a lot of SINAD. If the DAC is now maximized and you are attenuating only with the Pre90, you hearing for the first time all the SINAD your DAC has. Lower noise floor overall makes for details and reverb cues to extend. Specially if you have such a silent power amp as the AHB2.

Guerilla

You must be using some very cheap interconnects.

https://www.designacable.com/dj-rca...tar-quad-balanced-male-xlr-to-female-xlr.html

Balanced XLR cables as used by musicians and in studios, £ 22 for a pair. Topping also now have their own balanced cables.

Little chance in my opinion.
I think 10 times the price of a good rca to rca is a noticeable difference. I use xlr when needed. Only a comparison with the ears will show which amp sounds better with the connected speakers in the room they will be used. I dont think Cyrus amplifiers are broken designs, but I never saw measurements. The numbers will be better on the Pre90, but maybe not in an any way audible. I dont know how good is said implementation of Purifi modules or if it maches the Pre90. If the Cyrus is not tranparent, it might add coloration that suits the room and speakers. Transparent amplifiers has been made the last 40 years, so no reason his Cyrus isnt. I would borrow the Pre90 and Purifi from the shop to try on my own speakers before buying. The combination may sound better than the Cyrus. Would be nice to ”hear” how it works out.
Cheers!

didi

Question: Which preamplifier matches Benchmark AHB2 the best: Topping Pre90 or Benchmark LA4?

maruko

Hi all.

@amirm

I already have a Topping A90 that I use as a preamp, I was wondering if the Pre 90 was worth buying.

They look almost identical in performance; the only differences I notice from the specifications on the official website are a better crosstalk value and a more extended frequency response:
20Hz - 100Khz (Pre90);
20Hz - 40Khz (A90).

Does this make a difference to listening? What does this greater extension entail? What does this translate into in practice?

Thanks.

maruko

Nothing,

it is not relevant for high resolution audio? Is 40Khz enough?

anyway, D90 is my DAC and it is 20-40KHz

my speakers and my headphones doesn’t go beyond 40Khz.

Moreover , why Spectral preamps are defined “high bandwidth amplifier” and show stellar values like 20Hz-1,5Mhz (MEGAHERTZ).
Which is the meaning? :oops:

misterdog

What apart from the D90 are you intending to use into the Pre ?

Top Bottom