• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony NW-WM1A Review (Digital Audio Player)

A Surfer

Major Contributor
All good. I like my Onkyo DP-X1 DAP because it is one device that fits in my hand, has great SQ, and is android based. Every device in my system from my HT, my man cave, my whole house play-fi system can be operated from this one device. Like Loord of the Rings for devices, "One DAP to Rule Them All".
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/onkyo-dp-x1-portable-music-player/

I am thinking about adding a DAC and use the USB out but I love the sound signature of the Onkyo so much I just can't do it (yet, but the Gustard X16 is tempting). Right now I even plug it straight into my HT processor and the SQ is just lovely without headphones too :).
I had one of the first DP-X1s in North America as at the time it wasn't available outside of Japan and I used a Japanese shopping service to get it and ship it to me. I really enjoyed it and paired it with an Oppo PM3 with a custom cable that allowed for it to driven from the balanced out of the Onkyo. Nice little portable rig.

witchdoctor

Which neutral party? Haven't seen any measurements of DAP's except Amir's of the Hiby R6 and this Sony one. I'm curious-how is Android restricted? I agree the Snapdragon chip is pretty old/slow but fast enough for what the device is intended for. We'll just have to agree to disagree and that's fine. I love my Hiby R5 and if you haven't used/heard one I'm curious why you have such a jaded opinion of it/them.

Here are some measurements of my Onkyo, the balanced outs measure better:

http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-onkyo-dp-x1-24-bit

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

bobbooo

Major Contributor
How do you mute the alerts? I tried, but short of turning them all off I'm not sure how to achieve that. Wish I could. One of the most frustrating things related to UAPP is when streaming if the cell or wifi signal fades a bit the music drops out and seldom restarts. And when I'm out and about and I get a text alert I hear the tone and if often stops playback as well. Very frustrating. I may have some settings on my phone and/or UAPP wrong.

As I said in a previous post, just pull down the notification panel and tap the speaker icon until it shows it muted. Try checking that in UAPP's settings, 'System > Pause on notification' is unchecked.

Sak

All good. I like my Onkyo DP-X1 DAP because it is one device that fits in my hand, has great SQ
I agree. I also really love this DAP.
True, lately I often use its reduced version of dp-s1A, the sound is the same, only without an android and in a small case. There is also older dps1 version, but it sounds completely different, it does not match the sound of the DP-X1 version.

I've tried more than 40 different DAPs in different price categories over the years, and in the end I always returned to Onkyo. I had all daps from this manufacturer(Onkyo DP-X1,DP-X1A, DP-S1, DP-S1A, Granbeat, also had Pioneer XDP-300R and XDP-30R). And I have never been a fan of this company, but I bought DP-X1A and DP-S1A player 4 times.
It sounds great, even the AK Norma A15 and 25 doesn't sound so good, although it is much more expensive.
Even if I had not seen the measurements of these DAPs, I would not care, becouse it's the best portable sound I've ever heard.

witchdoctor

I agree. I also really love this DAP.
True, lately I often use its reduced version of dp-s1A, the sound is the same, only without an android and in a small case. There is also older dps1 version, but it sounds completely different, it does not match the sound of the DP-X1 version.

I've tried more than 40 different DAPs in different price categories over the years, and in the end I always returned to Onkyo. I had all daps from this manufacturer(Onkyo DP-X1,DP-X1A, DP-S1, DP-S1A, Granbeat, also had Pioneer XDP-300R and XDP-30R). And I have never been a fan of this company, but I bought DP-X1A and DP-S1A player 4 times.
It sounds great, even the AK Norma A15 and 25 doesn't sound so good, although it is much more expensive.
Even if I had not seen the measurements of these DAPs, I would not care, becouse it's the best portable sound I've ever heard.

Hi Sak, That is really interesting that you did the comparisons. I saw the dp-s1A on sale on the Onkyo usa website a few months ago and was wondering about it. I also plug the device into my HT using a 3.5 mm to RCA cable. I am just so happy with the SQ it just sounds analog to my ears. What music service do you subscribe to there in Japan? Have you tried MQA or hirez PCM yet through it? I haven't tried the DSD conversion/remastering feature yet because my DSD capable processor doesn't have USB in, have you tried it yet? Thanks

PeteL

Major Contributor
I am sure it sounds quite good and it's a good purchase, but those results from the unbalance out are... Let's say it's dificult to get how the difference in THD could be so large, in fact, I'd like to stay diplomat, but this is a lot of distortion. Is it audible? Something looks odd, cause the balance out is very very good, i'm curious of what's happening there, maybe it's in the process. I'd take this with a grain of salt. Testing with an audio interface and Rightmark has it's limits. It's not on the level of accuracy that we see here with a flagship Audio Precision Analyser. At the very least, they are not numbers we can directly compare.

raif71

Major Contributor
Hi Sak, That is really interesting that you did the comparisons. I saw the dp-s1A on sale on the Onkyo usa website a few months ago and was wondering about it. I also plug the device into my HT using a 3.5 mm to RCA cable. I am just so happy with the SQ it just sounds analog to my ears. What music service do you subscribe to there in Japan? Have you tried MQA or hirez PCM yet through it? I haven't tried the DSD conversion/remastering feature yet because my DSD capable processor doesn't have USB in, have you tried it yet? Thanks
I just saw a used Onkyo dpx1 on sale...I wonder all users of this DAP, what headphones/iems are you guys using this with? Thanks in advance.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I said in a previous post, just pull down the notification panel and tap the speaker icon until it shows it muted. Try checking that in UAPP's settings, 'System > Pause on notification' is unchecked.
K. Thanks.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it was that setting in UAPP. Thank you for helping with that.

Sak

Hi witchdoctor.
Actually, I don't use any streaming music services at all. Only SD-card :)
I'm not a fan of MQA formats, and dont use it too.
hirez PCM plays without problems.
what headphones/iems are you guys using this with?
I use LZ-A6 and Yamaha EPH-200 iems with onkyo.

witchdoctor

I am sure it sounds quite good and it's a good purchase, but those results from the unbalance out are... Let's say it's dificult to get how the difference in THD could be so large, in fact, I'd like to stay diplomat, but this is a lot of distortion. Is it audible? Something looks odd, cause the balance out is very very good, i'm curious of what's happening there, maybe it's in the process. I'd take this with a grain of salt. Testing with an audio interface and Rightmark has it's limits. It's not on the level of accuracy that we see here with a flagship Audio Precision Analyser. At the very least, they are not numbers we can directly compare.

I use the balance out with Pioneer IEM's but the unbalanced still sounds quite good to my ears when I use it. https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/onkyo-dp-x1
I just saw a used Onkyo dpx1 on sale...I wonder all users of this DAP, what headphones/iems are you guys using this with? Thanks in advance.

I use the balanced Pioneer SE-CH5BL
JBL Live650BTNC
Philips Fidelio X2HR

This player has an EQ feature and they have customized presets for various types of headphones. It also has a feature to remaster files in DSD using the USB out. Here is a link to the manual:

https://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/dp-x1a_manual_en.pdf

Maxx134

Lack of power? That is what this $1k Sony has.
Hmmm, I think the 3.5 is for sensitive IEMs, but the better IEMs actually like more power.
Maybe due to having Electrostatic elements.

Yet the Sony distortion specs are decieving.

The distortion measument is way down at over 100db level. How would that be observed as? A signature sound?
Most likely, that distortion is in the audio section (the reviewer hasnt stated), as the 1z uses upgrade caps over the 1a, and has a noticably better sound.

Also, this is not clipping distortion, and I found it unusual that you can tell the firmware is purposely limiting the output, because there is no audible sound of strain at maximum volume.
Very clean maximum volume.

As stated earlier, on the balanced output, it actually has enough power, so not sure why most would propagate the "saying" that it had a lack of power.
This is were more testing would show the Sony has an interesting performance behavior for such (low) output numbers.
Here is a link to a video where the Sony (1z) is cleanly playing a HD650 at maximum volume and it doesn't sound like it lacks power.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wcvAWmaUszO7NO52hSnMHW93KseLc0h7/view?usp=drivesdk

:)
Yet, I would not use a planar or HD800 on it of course, but the Sony is surprisingly not bad at all, and if using IEMs its a moot issue.
The real issue would be how it sounds in comparison to the competition.
We can all agree that most top electronics are overpriced, so that topic is up to the user if worth it to them.

The competition also has great sounds.
I would say most all the latest daps in general are getting very close (if not already) to desktop level performance.
I see Daps taking over the desktop market, IF they implemented a line out feature.
This will liberate many audiofiles from their desks or livingrooms to move about the house, while smartphones might take over the "outside" portable market, especially with bluetooth headphones.

Last edited:

wasnotwasnotwas

Hmmm, I think the 3.5 is for sensitive IEMs, but the better IEMs actually like more power.
Maybe due to having Electrostatic elements.

Yet the Sony distortion specs are decieving.

The distortion measument is way down at over 100db level. How would that be observed as? A signature sound?
Most likely, that distortion is in the audio section (the reviewer hasnt stated), as the 1z uses upgrade caps over the 1a, and has a noticably better sound.

Also, this is not clipping distortion, and I found it unusual that you can tell the firmware is purposely limiting the output, because there is no audible sound of strain at maximum volume.
Very clean maximum volume.

As stated earlier, on the balanced output, it actually has enough power, so not sure why most would propagate the "saying" that it had a lack of power.
This is were more testing would show the Sony has an interesting performance behavior for such (low) output numbers.
Here is a link to a video where the Sony (1z) is cleanly playing a HD650 at maximum volume and it doesn't sound like it lacks power.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wcvAWmaUszO7NO52hSnMHW93KseLc0h7/view?usp=drivesdk

:)
Yet, I would not use a planar or HD800 on it of course, but the Sony is surprisingly not bad at all, and if using IEMs its a moot issue.
The real issue would be how it sounds in comparison to the competition.

The competition also has great sounds.
I would say most all the latest daps in general are getting very close (if not already) to desktop level performance.
I see Daps taking over the desktop market, IF they implemented a line out feature.
This will liberate many audiofiles from their desks or livingrooms to move about the house, while smartphones might take over the "outside" portable market.

Why would you definitely not use an HD800 when you would happily use a HD650? Both 300 ohm and 1 db SPL different.

Maxx134

Why would you definitely not use an HD800 when you would happily use a HD650? Both 300 ohm and 1 db SPL different.
Thats interesting because although they are supposedly both 300ohms, I found the HD800 to not sound as impactful. So it was still clean sound, but at a medium type volume, not ear-bleed level.

So the Sony unit still needs headphones with higher sensitivity.
Maybe the closer proximity of the 650 driver made it satisfactory.

But this shows that real life observations must agree with the data for complete assessment.
In general science history, real world observations always was needed to verify data.

Last edited:

Maxx134

Other measuments online of the HD800 shows the impedance vary up to 600ohms, dependent on frequency, so the manufacturer impedance spec, is an average.

Last edited:
Top Bottom