• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Best Looking Stereo Integrated Amp

Which of the following amps will look best with the rest of my system?

• Devialet Expert 400 (current amp)

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • Luxman L509X

Votes: 32 31.4%
  • McIntosh MA8900

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Technics SU R1000

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • Yamaha AS 3200

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Have Technics measured loads of speakers and made correction files available? Too lazy to look, but if not it can't really be like SAM.

It doesn't seem to need a database.

It claims to send a signal to the speakers and measure something inside (changes in resistance or inductance or something?).

I don't think it's using microphones from what they wrote about it.

D

Deleted member 65

Have Technics measured loads of speakers and made correction files available? Too lazy to look, but if not it can't really be like SAM.

https://stereo-magazine.com/article/technics-su-r1000-reference-class-digital-integrated-amp

”Technics' newly developed ADCT (Active Distortion Cancelling Technology) feature extracts and eliminates distortions in the power output stage caused by voltage drops and electromotive effects of the connected loudspeakers. It detects differences between the loudspeaker output and the JENO output and corrects the digital output signal. According to the manufacturer, this is intended to ensure powerful loudspeaker operation while at the same time enabling the typical positive characteristics of a digital amplifier, such as low noise, sharp sound images and a wide sound ambience, regardless of the types of connected loudspeaker”

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It doesn't seem to need a database.

It claims to send a signal to the speakers and measure something inside (changes in resistance or inductance or something?).

I don't think it's using microphones from what they wrote about it.
That is interesting though not like SAM then.
For SAM a laser vibrometer is used to measure and compare the actual cone movement and phase of the actual speaker with the input signal. The transfer function of the error is calculated, inverted and then a correction file made available for upload from the Devialet configurator this also includes an overdrive limit calculated the measurements.
They have measured hundreds of speakers now, including 2 of the models I own but, sadly, not the ones I use.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For looks either McIntosh or D'Agostino. The latter is very pretty, but stupid expensive.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
For looks either McIntosh or D'Agostino. The latter is very pretty, but stupid expensive.

On the one hand, I like the steam punk / Flash Gordon aesthetics of the D'Agostino gear.

In isolation.

But it's really hard to match that aesthetic with other audio gear. Or even home decor.

D'agostino gear would be awesome if I lived in a submarine.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That is interesting though not like SAM then.
For SAM a laser vibrometer is used to measure and compare the actual cone movement and phase of the actual speaker with the input signal. The transfer function of the error is calculated, inverted and then a correction file made available for upload from the Devialet configurator this also includes an overdrive limit calculated the measurements.
They have measured hundreds of speakers now, including 2 of the models I own but, sadly, not the ones I use.

I'm blessed with choice...3 different SAM profiles for my current Contour 20 (port open, closed, and half open).

But I don't use it anymore because I'm high passing at 80 Hz and I can't hear any difference when I use SAM or not in that situation.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But it's really hard to match that aesthetic with other audio gear. Or even home decor.

I don't think something like that has to match. It's also sold alongside super expensive and weird looking Wilson speakers. Kind of Borg aesthetic.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the one hand, I like the steam punk / Flash Gordon aesthetics of the D'Agostino gear.

In isolation.

The other visual issue is that something that looks good (or interesting) at first, may not stand the test of time.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I don't think something like that has to match. It's also sold alongside super expensive and weird looking Wilson speakers. Kind of Borg aesthetic.

I like the things to match, not literally, but at least in terms of overall aesthetic.

I know some French decor trends blend baroque and Bauhaus, but I've never taken to that overt juxtaposition.

The whole reason for this thread is that the looks of my Devialet don't blend well with my reel to reel deck and possible new speakers.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the things to match, not literally, but at least in terms of overall aesthetic.

I know some French decor trends blend baroque and Bauhaus, but I've never taken to that overt juxtaposition.

The whole reason for this thread is that the looks of my Devialet don't blend well with my reel to reel deck and possible new speakers.

I'm not a decorator or designer, so what do I know? My son is an industrial designer and he likes the way McIntosh looks.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I looked at the specs on this when it came out (I like the styling too) but it has no more functionality than the Devialet and a lot less power so meh.

It also doesn't appear to have a network connection (unless it's wireless only), which seems like a missed opportunity given it's a digital amp.

On other hand, having XLR input for the phono stage is pretty cool. And they include a test record.

Technics_rear_web.jpg

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor

PortableMusic

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Octave valve amps look nice. German made, good specs, pre out for a sub, a balanced input. SE or class A versions in a couple of different power/price points. Octave V70SE
octave.JPG

octave2.JPG

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Was always a fan of that minimalist NAD aesthetic. Owned an NAD amp and cassette deck in the late 80s.

Honestly, I wouldn't be able to enjoy any of these audacious, expensive amps. It would bug me to know that whatever sonic quality they provide could be had for thousands of dollars less. I'm too damn cheap for them! lol. Perhaps if I were a rich man who wouldn't miss 8 or 10 grand it might be different. Although even in my current financial situation I do have the resources to spend more than I choose to. My natural state of operation is always to get the best sound I can for the least amount of money.

Top Bottom