• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Best Looking Stereo Integrated Amp

Which of the following amps will look best with the rest of my system?

• Devialet Expert 400 (current amp)

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • Luxman L509X

Votes: 32 31.4%
  • McIntosh MA8900

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Technics SU R1000

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • Yamaha AS 3200

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Oops, sorry, messed up the formatting there a bit. Obviously, the bit startin with “I agree“ is mine.
Actually the link at the top of that post is to a Belles Aria, picture of which I was also trying to post.

rs=h:1300,cg:true,m

This?

Look at that teeensy weensy little volume knob.....

It would barely qualify as a selector switch on a Japanese integrated.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It wouldn't be ASR without some Harman.

So here it is, the Mark Levinson 5805.

619marklev.promo_.jpg

mark_levinson_no_5805_integrated_amp_03_inside_high_angle-500x500.jpg

Mark Levinson is really the Lexus of audio electronics, isn't?

Well engineered, well made, performs well at its assigned tasks, tastefully luxurious without being gauche, but ultimately a bit bland and unexciting.

A good choice for people who want to spend a chunk of money but also play it safe.

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
1020grand.promo_.jpg

Stereophile says it's an integrated amp, but looking at it, I don't believe them.

Nobody will believe you paid $15,000 for it.

DQ'ed.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know how I missed this one.

Launched in Sep. 2020, the Technics SU-R1000, their 'Reference Class' integrated amp.

$9500 for this, ready to whoop ass on the Yamaha.

Includes a bunch of fancy DSP features, including a DSP phono stage with "Response Optimiser".
Technics SU-R1000 Integrated Amplifier develops two times 150 watts on speaker systems with an impedance of 8 ohms, it is a proud 300 watts per channel when the speakers have an impedance of only 4 ohms. Digital amplifier, 4-PWM power supplies and MC phono. I searched for a manual but there is no listing of the SU-R1000 at the Technics USA website; but there is a press release blurb. It looks like it has all the latest technology and has linear output. Nice!
https://www.technics.com/us/about/press/releases/20200901-su-r1000/index.html

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Kuppenbender

Forum Donor
About as boring to look at as it gets, and worse, it uses buttons for volume adjustment.
Shoot the designer.
Agreed.

Maybe we need a new, lower league ‘Best Looking Stereo Integrated Amplifier with Buttons for Volume Adjustment’ thread - but with a snappier title.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know how I missed this one.

Launched in Sep. 2020, the Technics SU-R1000, their 'Reference Class' integrated amp.

$9500 for this, ready to whoop ass on the Yamaha.

Includes a bunch of fancy DSP features, including a DSP phono stage with "Response Optimiser".
I looked at the specs on this when it came out (I like the styling too) but it has no more functionality than the Devialet and a lot less power so meh.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Errr...why can't you get it in Australia?
Who knows. Only the turntables and Ottava. In the old days, yes. Regret selling my 1210s now of course. My ears don't! (from DJ work)

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
The OP mentions that he only needs decent sound but wants an attractive unit. So people here post pictures of $8500 amps.

A comment on tiny switches. That is a complaint I have about my OPPO player. Tiny little flush buttons you could not find in a dim room. You know, a dim room you may be watching a movie in! I see they never fixed it, but alas, they are gone. Not surprised, as they went from excellent and expensive, to trying to be better for prices no one could afford, so I imagine they priced themselves out of the market.

As I wanted my system to be basically out of sight, I went separates again, so all that is visible is my little Asgard. Amp is hidden in the cabinet, along with the sub amp ,crossovers, power sequencer and basic mess of cables.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 118
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I looked at the specs on this when it came out (I like the styling too) but it has no more functionality than the Devialet and a lot less power so meh.

Technics' ADCT speaker distortion cancelling features sounds in some ways like Devialet SAM.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Technics' ADCT speaker distortion cancelling features sounds in some ways like Devialet SAM.
Have Technics measured loads of speakers and made correction files available? Too lazy to look, but if not it can't really be like SAM.

Top Bottom