• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple's first high-end headphones

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020...gic-of-airpods-in-a-stunning-over-ear-design/

AirPods Max feature a 40-mm Apple-designed dynamic driver that provides rich, deep bass, accurate mid-ranges, and crisp, clean high-frequency extension so every note can be heard. A unique dual neodymium ring magnet motor allows AirPods Max to maintain total harmonic distortion of less than 1 percent across the entire audible range, even at maximum volume.1 Equipped with an Apple-designed H1 chip in each ear cup, a custom acoustic design, and advanced software, AirPods Max use computational audio to deliver the highest quality listening experience possible. Utilizing each of the chips’ 10 audio cores — capable of 9 billion operations per second — computational audio powers a breakthrough listening experience that includes Adaptive EQ, Active Noise Cancellation, Transparency mode, and spatial audio.

I would love to know what magic or tricks Apple can make with headphones. Or maybe just another "lifestyle" product?

ElNino

What I find intriguing about this is the adaptive equalization -- much like the large Homepods, it has microphones mounted in the earpieces to measure what actual frequency response is being produced within the earcup and then equalizes it. In my experience, ear coupling can make a big difference, e.g., the Koss Porta Pro and KSC-35 sound noticeably different even though the drivers are identical and they're both open-back designs. I think the approach they're taking has potential to mitigate that effect.

I hope they support a lossless Bluetooth codec for these. I checked and they don't specify on the tech specs page.

Another interesting thing about these is they're claiming less than 1% THD at 20Hz at max volume.

Does anyone know if these also support wired (non-Bluetooth) playback? They come with a lightning to USB cable, but I wonder if that's only for charging. Edit: it looks like they do support wired playback! They even have an optional lightning to analog jack adapter, presumably containing an ADC.

Last edited:

Kachda

Forum Donor
The case is awesome ;)

1607441835103.jpeg

Honken

Interesting, I'd like to try them out but they're not for me. I don't like wearing cans while I'm on the go* and the only time I use cans at home is for when I'm at the PC (I do a bit of gaming). I assume that using these with anything but other Apple products is going to be a gimped experience, even if an adapter is available.

I'm guessing the looks and price will be rather divisive factors.

* I'm perfectly happy with my Airpods Pro for that - I think they sound rather excellent even in comparison to my HD600s

Kachda

Forum Donor
Is it?

$549 is mid tier pricing in headphone land now that we have >$1k headphones.
Very different markets. To audiophiles, $1000 headphones paired with $500amps may be normal, but this is targetted at the mass market where $350 Sony, Bose and B&W are considered the high-end. This is aimed at the same use cases as the Sony and Bose, but at a higher price point.

edit: However, I still expect it to sell like hot cakes given it's an Apple product that can you can be seen wearing outside, plus they will make it very convenient to use with their ecosystem integration, and the sound quality will definitely be good enough even if not excellent. I think the homepod was a flop because it would stay in the house, and thus cannot be really shown off.

Last edited:

ElNino

Is it?

It probably isn't useful to compare niche "audiophile" pricing to consumer pricing. This is high end for most consumers.

More interesting though, if these can deliver the measurements they're claiming (<1% THD at 20Hz, full volume), they highlight how little value audiophile brands have been delivering. These are roughly in the price ballpark of the Sennheiser HD660S, which just buys a person old-school headphones. Here, for around the same price, you get a DAC, two amps, loads of DSP, 11 microphones (!), accelerometers, custom drivers, a wireless transceiver, rechargeable batteries, two custom ICs, a volume knob, etc.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it?

Well under half the price of the no longer available AKG N90Q which is the nearest functionally similar set I am aware of, active equalisation, noise reduction but wired connection.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Very different markets. To audiophiles, $1000 headphones paired with $500amps may be normal, but this is targetted at the mass market where $350 Sony, Bose and B&W are considered the high-end.

Okay, so not high end.

I don't think anyone on ASR thinks Bose is high end, just because the masses think it is.

Kachda

Forum Donor
Okay, so not high end.

I don't think anyone on ASR thinks Bose is high end, just because the masses think it is.
Hi-end here refers to the price, not the sound quality.

edit: We can get lost in our clouds of $10k speakers and $5k amps, but the general public does not typically spend $500 on headphones. However, like I said, I expect this one to sell in the millions because its a very visually distinct Apple product. And I am not saying the sound quality will be bad. A comparison here of this against it's closest competitors like the Sony WH1000XM4, Bose NC700 and B&X PX will be great.

Top Bottom