• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speakers in the world?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe our community should show a bit more empathy and tolerance?
Not having a preference that matches what most users seemed to prefer statistically does not mean one has "shit taste".

It's one thing to say you can't ignore Nyquist sampling theorem, it's another thing altogether to say you must nicely fall in the middle of the data set of a relatively limited observational study.
The ignore function is your friend.
I am old and grumpy and put quite few forum members on ignore.
Sometimes it makes threads harder to follow, but when I select view ignored content I rarely decide to unignore one of them...

paddycrow

Forum Donor
Maybe our community should show a bit more empathy and tolerance?
Not having a preference that matches what most users seemed to prefer statistically does not mean one has "shit taste".

It's one thing to say you can't ignore Nyquist sampling theorem, it's another thing altogether to say you must nicely fall in the middle of the data set of a relatively limited observational study.

A speaker's output is dependent on what's fed into it. A little parametric EQ can go a long way.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@andreasmaaan
Beolab 90 costs 36,000 euros and are compared to $10K speakers, so even if they're good they're overpriced. View attachment 89708
I disagree.
They have far more drivers and amps and will go much louder so much more suitable for my room, neither the Kii nor D&D would be comfortable in here, and the B&O range of adjustments is, afaik, unique.
Very expensive yes, but the ones you mention are not comparable, IMO, not even in the same league for far field listening in a substantial room.

Sprint

Forum Donor
What about "house sound"?
How is it possible that i like Genelec's sound more than Neumann's even though they're both technically flat and and accurate.
Join you in this list. I have done AB comparison of Genelec 8351 Vs KH310 or 8030 Vs KH120 at two different dealers. To my ears, Genelecs were always more musical and I preferred them over Neumann.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So why are they compared in the same article?
Probably because they are the only speakers Stereophile have auditioned and tested which have effective DSP controlled directivity.

They haven't tested any others AFIK.

Edit, in smaller rooms and listened to in the mid or near field the Kii and D&D are probably all one would need, unless often playing to a large room with lots of people in it.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
That's why measurements aren't everything
Join you in this list. I have done AB comparison of Genelec 8351 Vs KH310 or 8030 Vs KH120 at two different dealers. To my ears, Genelecs were always more musical and I preferred them over Neumann.
That's why I'm saying measurements aren't everything and Neumanns sounded "dark" to me vs the lively presentation of the Genelecs, they just sounded the most realistic to my ears.
So even if the Neumann's are better technically speaking it doesn't necessarily mean they will sound better to me.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Wasn't it around 90000 EUR (with taxes)? There was a refurbished pair for sale at 42000 EUR a year or so ago near me.
Screenshot_20201026-194413.jpg

q3cpma

Major Contributor

That's why I'm saying measurements aren't everything and Neumanns sounded "dark" to me vs the lively presentation of the Genelecs, they just sounded the most realistic to my ears.
So even if the Neumann's are better technically speaking it doesn't necessarily mean they will sound better to me.
You do realize that Neumann and Genelec don't measure the same, so your argument is invalid, right?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

What part(s) of 'everything' matter to you?

Because you did a sighted comparison doesn't necessarily mean it means...anything.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
You do realize that Neumann and Genelec don't measure the same, so your argument is invalid, right?
I didn't say the same but they're both considered to be flat and accurate, yet they sound completely different.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Pearljam5000 - either that price was for a single speaker or they are offloading them...

I actually considered buying the advertised 42000 EUR pair back then, but decided not to because "refurb" on such an iconic and recent piece smelled a bit fish to me. The ad specifically stated they had been revised by B&O and, for me, that hinted reliability issues (other possible explanations could have been over enthusiastic dealer or unhappy customer).

1603734761074.png

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I didn't say the same but they're both considered to be flat and accurate, yet they sound completely different.
"Completely" is a bit much. If they sound different, they measure differently in some important parameters, that's just a physical fact. The KH120A having a bigger tweeter crossing 1 kHz sooner, being a little narrower in directivity, having maybe a little bit more diffraction and more important being front ported probably play a role here.

Top Bottom