• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speakers in the world?

paddycrow

Forum Donor
Focal had this setup at 2019 AXPONA. I spent a fair amount of time listening. It was nice, but I wasn't blown away.
56976887_2150631208307816_5713675283987431424_n.jpg

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah but this is Focal, and they put all their technology and knowledge into one speaker, it has to be something special.
I agree with you in most cases these Uber expensive speakers are garbage, like Beolab 90

What's wrong with the Beolab 90 in your opinion?

Money does not equate good sound... I’ve listened to uber expensive systems in private dedicated rooms in the NYC area when I was more actively engaged as an audiophile and was never wowed... I always felt these systems sounded colored, hyped or masked some musical information... They were loud for sure and impressive visually, but never sounded quite neutral the way I was looking for myself.

Here’s an example from YouTube (binaural recording):

All that money...

$1m on the system and they don't even bother pointing the narrow-directivity horns vaguely in the direction of the listener o_O

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Money does not equate good sound... I’ve listened to uber expensive systems in private dedicated rooms in the NYC area when I was more actively engaged as an audiophile and was never wowed... I always felt these systems sounded colored, hyped or masked some musical information... They were loud for sure and impressive visually, but never sounded quite neutral the way I was looking for myself.

All that money...
That is a very good looking setup which I'm sure gives great enjoyment to the owner (at least I hope so), however one deal killer here is the room, which even though good dispersion is provided, is still essentially an echo chamber. That would be totally unacceptable to me, no matter how many zillions of dollars everything cost. Perhaps the owner overlooks this or likes it, but to me, why muck up the sound of the speaker by such a live room? In a room such as this, almost any speaker would sound acceptable.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a Paillard-Bolex 8mm rig that belonged to my dad. I don't think it's been used for at least 40 years.
I have an Eumig super-8 movie camera and projector dating from the late 1960ies. I got them from my grandmother for my 15th birthday, I fear they no longer work, I last used them aged 20 when I made a movie of archeological digs I was participating in.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Time-keeping wise, yes. However, you or your heirs might be able to recoup the million dollars sunk in the Patek. Sometimes one can even hope to make a tidy profit. Not so with a Casio. I've never heard of anyone recouping their "investment" in high-end speakers.

+1,000,000

The day you take them home resale value is less than half of what you paid for them and it keeps going down from there...

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I spent a fair amount of time listening to these at the 2020 Florida Audio Expo:
index.php

They blew me away but at $295,000 a pair they should. The system driving them was well north of $1,000,000.

Martin

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
Yeah but this is Focal, and they put all their technology and knowledge into one speaker, it has to be something special.
I agree with you in most cases these Uber expensive speakers are garbage, like Beolab 90

Luxurious, beautiful, and dramatic are the qualities I would most expect from that pricepoint. 250k speakers are statement pieces. I'm sure they sound good, but I doubt they are Focal's best measuring speaker.

On a somewhat related point. I would love to see what a genelac speaker would look/measure like if they made a cost no object product for the luxury market

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
That is a very good looking setup which I'm sure gives great enjoyment to the owner (at least I hope so), however one deal killer here is the room, which even though good dispersion is provided, is still essentially an echo chamber. That would be totally unacceptable to me, no matter how many zillions of dollars everything cost. Perhaps the owner overlooks this or likes it, but to me, why muck up the sound of the speaker by such a live room? In a room such as this, almost any speaker would sound acceptable.
By the way, in building my own dedicated listening room (which is about 6000 cubic feet), I first designed it to make it as good of an 'echo chamber' as possible - meaning that the decay of sound was completely clean with no slap echoes and well behaved frequency response in the low / high ends. Then I added room treatments to bring down the decay time to what I wanted with no overt reverberation - just enough ambience to keep the room from sounding 'dead'. That's what the room in the video needs.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Paillard-Bolex 8mm rig that belonged to my dad. I don't think it's been used for at least 40 years. Another cool camera I have is a Kodak Model B. George Mallory had one on Mt Everest when he perished.

I do have an old Pentax SP500 with a story I won't go into here.
I had a huge collection of Leica, rangefinder Nikon and Canon cameras and lense which I sold a couple of years ago. They were my pension!
The rare Leica stuff did well, the Nikon and Canon badly. Never mind, I enjoyed the collecting and using and have kept quite a few lenses to still use on digital bodies.
The rarest stuff were a couple of MP bodies, one, No 19, is now in a Japanese museum I believe, and the early hand ground aspherical and prototype lenses.

More on topic, the speakers I am listening to at the moment I bought almost 25 years ago and they still sound fantastic to me.
OTOH the sound quality of the recording itself makes much more difference to what we hear than any part of our reproduction equipment.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Money does not equate good sound... I’ve listened to uber expensive systems in private dedicated rooms in the NYC area when I was more actively engaged as an audiophile and was never wowed... I always felt these systems sounded colored, hyped or masked some musical information... They were loud, for sure, and impressive visually, but never sounded quite neutral the way I was looking for myself.

All that money...
Aries Cerat are pure bollox on every level IME

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I've seen them compared to speakers costing $10K
Overall Im not a fan of weird designs with a billion drivers.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen them compared to speakers costing $10K
Overall Im not a fan of weird designs with a billion drivers.

Funny you say that, as $10k is around the price point at which many of the "best" (non-PA) speakers in the world seem to converge ;)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Cool.

Strangely, my system sounds just like that one in the video!

paddycrow

Forum Donor
Can you describe the sound?

It sounded like music, as did all the other exhibits. To be honest, a year and a half has gone by. The experience is not very fresh in my mind. It was a really large space, as was the Magico setup. Cramming either into a normal sized room would completely change the sound.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Beolab 90, Genelec 8351B/8361A (+W371A, but they're incredible even without), D&D 8c, Kii Three (+BXT), ME Geithain RL901k2 (maybe with some DSP to correct a bit), GGNTKT's M1 and probably M2. Neumann KH420A or K+H O500C if you don't care about next-gen features like "perfect" coaxial drivers or LF directivity control other than the box.

At least from an objective point of view.

Last edited:
Top Bottom