• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So basically all daps are worthless shit?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(I know you jest but: ) There is no need for a dongle if your phone has a microSD card slot.

(Not all of them do)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
(I know you jest but: ) There is no need for a dongle if your phone has a microSD card slot.

(Not all of them do)
Ever tried plugging headphones into a micro SD slot? ;)

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're referring to the fact that *cough*certain overrated phone brand*cough* doesn't even have a headphone jack, that's never going to be a problem for me.

If you're not, then I don't get it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're referring to the fact that *cough*certain overrated phone brand*cough* doesn't even have a headphone jack, that's never going to be a problem for me.
Hahaha. There are many overrated brands and models without. Its not a deciding factor for me in buying a new phone because I know I can dongle up. Thought for a minute you were going to say you bluetoothed.

Imagine being the person that buys a dap for Bluetooth headphones!

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The whole point of a cellphone, IMO is a lot of function packed into a compact, rectangular form factor, and resultant pocket portability. Requiring a secondary 'dongle' hanging off a USB port, so as to accept a male headphone jack , kind of massively misses that point, IME.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The whole point of a cellphone, IMO is a lot of function packed into a compact, rectangular form factor, and resultant portability. Requiring a secondary 'dongle' hanging off a USB port, so as to accept a male headphone jack , kind of massively misses that point, IME.

You're right. Sadly the smartphone market doesn't share our view so I choose to compromise. If LG phones were generally more to my liking it would be a no brainer.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You're right. Sadly the smartphone market doesn't share our view so I choose to compromise. If LG phones were generally more to my liking it would be a no brainer.

LG phones are SO cheap on the used market it makes perfect sense to use them as primary for media delivery, secondary only when you know you need a good camera (in my view that's the only real issue with my LG V30+). A new Pixel 3A AND an LG V30 will run you $500. Yeah I have two phones but it's not like I ever need to juggle them both.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
LG phones are SO cheap on the used market it makes perfect sense to use them as primary for media delivery, secondary only when you know you need a good camera (in my view that's the only real issue with my LG V30+). A new Pixel 3A AND an LG V30 will run you $500. Yeah I have two phones but it's not like I ever need to juggle them both.

I almost went down a very similar path. Then I had a word with myself and dongled. Before that I was in my car 3 hours a day- DAP connected to car stereo, streaming over my phones wireless hotspot (mounted on the dash next to the DAP). Madness!

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I almost went down a very similar path. Then I had a word with myself and dongled. Before that I was in my car 3 hours a day- DAP connected to car stereo, streaming over my phones wireless hotspot (mounted on the dash next to the DAP). Madness!

Having 500GB of storage in the LG is a godsend. Streaming using mobile data in the car is never necessary.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Oh, dont doubt there is. I just dont make it a key factor in deciding on a new phone. Especially now I am doing far less mobile listening. Even without a 3.5mm on my phone, I will never buy another DAP

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Having 500GB of storage in the LG is a godsend. Streaming using mobile data in the car is never necessary.

No, but when I have basically unlimited data and decent signal throughout my journey (when I was doing it) , never any need to think about local music- syncing, updating etc. Streaming for me for now on.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
micro SD card storage for smartphones now goes up to 2TB. Why in Cthulu's name does anyone need a dedicated DAP?

Because I go a lot of places that I don't need a phone (which wouldn't work were I go anyway, as far as Calls, texting or streaming goes) and why do I want to carry something that requires me to carry 2 things. If the phone is stolen (happened to me 2 days ago), I still have my DAP. (maybe because no one wants to steal the DAP). That is another reason I don't carry the phone in a lot of places I go. Why question what someone else wants? Your wants & needs are not the same as EVERYONE else. Maybe most don't want or need a DAP. But some do. (Like me). Because I have wants and needs that are not the same as yours. Or just because they exist. Those of us that want one know the alternatives. And decided that a DAP suits our purposes. Having done so for many years in places that don't have consistent cell phone, cable, internet service (many times none at all, in one place I was 52,000 people had no power or running water for 4 months). We used solar to charge CB walkie talkies for communication. Also I don't where head phones or ear buds, we run things into something that has speakers. Wouldn't want to be eaten because we did not have any idea that we were on the menu. Big animals will eat you with or witout things in your ears. But if you are making music with speakers, they tend to stay away. If not, there are usually some signs that you may be on their menu and you have a chance to not be.

Last edited:

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The whole point of a cellphone, IMO is a lot of function packed into a compact, rectangular form factor, and resultant pocket portability. Requiring a secondary 'dongle' hanging off a USB port, so as to accept a male headphone jack , kind of massively misses that point, IME.

Yes, but it sells a lot of dongles. Lots of places for the connection to break on a dongle.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just used my Shanling M2X for an hour today doing stuff around the house while my phone was on the charger.

Love it! No text message or phone call interruptions.

No temptation to pull out the phone and check social media.

Hardware buttons for skipping tracks that are easy to use without looking at the screen.

Better volume stepping than my phone.

Easily drives my HD660S without using a dongle.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They have been more or less a waste of money in my experience except for two specific things:

1. If you want something with no distractions, no wifi, no notifications, no apps, a couple hundred on a DAP might be for you.

2. If you listen to MP3 files that aren't the greatest, I like Cowon's BBE MP tech that looks at the waveform and regenerates lost harmonics.

Other than that, not point, spend the money on earphones (but you already have Etymotics, which frankly are more accurate that just about anything, and they just need a touch more bass which you get with the XR series.)

bobbooo

Major Contributor
That assumes you ever remember to turn it off later. I'd forget that for a few days and a great week would quickly become a terrible one.

You'd have to be trying pretty hard to ignore the airplane and no signal icons on the status bar...Anyway, Android has had a Do Not Disturb mode with schedule, duration etc options for a while now for precisely your needs. You don't even need to install an app.

Last edited:
Top Bottom