• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M28 Seven Channel Power Amplifier Review

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yeah, that was my first reaction too. May be it comes with a custom dolly. For $8000, they can throw in one.
Yes. B&O makes a wonderful custom dolly for the Beolab 90 which weighs in at 302 lbs (137kg) each. Since the 90s have a triangular footprint, one gets 3 lengths of L-beam (with adjustable casters) which slip under the bottom edge of the cabinet and link together with pins. Once linked, you lift the speaker by turning the nuts to lower the casters. Ingenious but not flawless. (The L-beams add about 2" to the overall width and, as a result, prevented the rolling speaker from clearing my doorway. The installers had to lift manually each one over my door-saddle.)

Still, it could be adapted to any audio component with straight edges.

Deucevantage

Definitely. I am on the way to buy such combo from March Audio and it will cost me much less than the NAD M28
Maybe he coudl be persuaded to put out a “453” ie three EigenPurifi amps in same chassis- now THAT woudl be a front channel home theatre “home run”

rkwinkel

I ordered the M28. I will compare it to the M27. The main reason is that the M28 has more power, which will benefit my Dyns. Also I read a lot of good things about Purify..

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered the M28. I will compare it to the M27. The main reason is that the M28 has more power, which will benefit my Dyns. Also I read a lot of good things about Purify..

The M28 puts out less power than the M27 (650 v. 500 watts into 4 ohms peak):

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...iew-and-measurements-of-nad-m27-pwr-amp.9036/

Even if the situation was reversed, you are only talking about a 1 db or so difference. If you are not achieving the SPL levels you want with your current combination of amplifier and speakers, you should be looking at more efficient speakers that can put out higher SPL. As it stands, your current amplifier with an 88db sensitive speaker (guessing that is what your Dynaudio's are, as you don't state the model, but that is average for a floor stander and bookshelf can't take those huge power levels), will hit about 110 db at a 12 foot listening distance (assuming the speakers can do so without being overdriven by the amp). 110 db is extremely loud. THX reference is 105 db peak, which most home theater enthusiasts find too loud in a home environment. For general listening, most people do not exceed 95-100 db on peaks. Having a party is different.

If it were me, I would cancel my order of the M28 and evaluate what in your system is not meeting your current needs rather than throwing thousands of dollars at a random component that will not change how your system actually sounds.

Bsinger

T
If it were me, I would cancel my order of the M28...

If it were me... Hypex is great but who doesn't want Purifi?? And in a NAD product! Let's assume rkwinkel has the $$$ and is using a retailer that has a good return policy like Crutchfield's 60 day no risk. Can't wait for his impressions.

rkwinkel

thanks , that is another reason. Purifi is a step forward and off course the M27 is a great amplifier. But there is a reason why companies bring new products to the market. But let's wait and see. It will last me for a few years. The m33 was had some great reviews due to Purify. So let's wait and see.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
I believe that the M28 is superior to the M27 but I do not believe that it is worth changing. I choose not to use the word "upgrading."
That's an interesting statement. NAD M28 has worse measurements than NAD M27, but sounds better.
How to explain that ? Measurements are not comprehensive enough to represent all dimensions of the listening experience ?

rkwinkel

That's an interesting statement. NAD M28 has worse measurements than NAD M27, but sounds better.
How to explain that ? Measurements are not comprehensive enough to represent all dimensions of the listening experience ?
Indeed and it also depends on the rest of the setup. Purify is a big improvement over Ncore. Next to this, I allways wonder how objective is the person who does the measurements. Are there more tests who have the same outcome ? Is it a controlled environment ?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Next to this, I allways wonder how objective is the person who does the measurements

Measurements don't care about subjective opinions of the once doing them. Otherwise it would imply foul play.. I'm don't think you would like to go down that route.

Purify is a big improvement over Ncore

Care to prove that in an double blind test?

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed and it also depends on the rest of the setup. Purify is a big improvement over Ncore. Next to this, I allways wonder how objective is the person who does the measurements. Are there more tests who have the same outcome ? Is it a controlled environment ?
Remarkable. You sure you're on the right forum?

rkwinkel

Remarkable. You sure you're on the right forum?

why is it remarkable ? because I ask questions about the outcome and method ? I find it surprising that one person testing this and presents the findings nobody questions these. Is the person qualified to do these tests, what are his qualifications and his background. Nothing wrong with asking this.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
why is it remarkable ? because I ask questions about the outcome and method ? I find it surprising that one person testing this and presents the findings nobody questions these. Is the person qualified to do these tests, what are his qualifications and his background. Nothing wrong with asking this.
The remarkable is that you're new to ASR and right off the bat begin with questioning the validity of measurements, the competence behind them and the intent/agenda of the host. Here you go, start here;

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-bit-about-your-host.1906/

rkwinkel

Fair enough. But still more testing would be needed to get a good review. Now it is only one person who did this test who shares his findings, so from a validity point of view, this would not suffice.

rkwinkel

Measurements don't care about subjective opinions of the once doing them. Otherwise it would imply foul play.. I'm don't think you would like to go down that route.

Well it is like with all measurements and outcome, how valid are the results. How many tests have been done. Who did the testing.
It would help if there would be more tests from other people. If they would have the same outcome than I would say it is a valid test.

Care to prove that in an double blind test?

Yes I would. No problem. I will tell you the results when I receive the M28.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fair enough. But still more testing would be needed to get a good review. Now it is only one person who did this test who shares his findings, so from a validity point of view, this would not suffice.
Well, the results are only comparable to the same measurement setup, but easily repeatable for those who have access to the insanely expensive Audio Precision APx555 to 28 000 $.

There's a user from China (@WolfX-700) with the same equipment who also shares his measurements here. Here's a link to his Benchmark AHB2 review and to the corresponding ASR review of the same amplifier;

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurement-of-benchmark-ahb2-power-amp.10962/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-and-measurements-of-benchmark-ahb2-amp.7628/

Pictures for comparison;

4R5W.jpg

Benchmark AHB2 Amplifier Audio Measurements.png

Make of it what you will!

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I have no idea. It is an anecdotal statement based on my experience with the M27 a few years back and my recent experience with the M28. Make of it what you will!

Top Bottom