• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M28 Seven Channel Power Amplifier Review

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps but how will they differentiate it from the C298?

In the C298 thread the speculation was the replacement for the M22v2 will be the higher power PURIFI that is is supposed to be forthcoming. It would make sense, guessing the new PURIFI will be something like 400-500 watts ch 8 ohms and 800-1000 ch 4 ohms, which will allow NAD to provide a meaningful upgrade over the C298's power and slightly exceed the M22v2s ratings of 400w peak at 8 ohms and 700w peak at 4 ohms.

With ever shortening news cycles, it seems that people treat equipment as having shorter life cycles. While digital is changing with new chipsets, amplifiers are very stable. Class AB technology has been mature for years, with only rare changes making any performance difference (i.e. Benchmark) and despite what it seems, Class D technology Has pretty well matured. The M22v2 is based on the NC400 module which was released in 2012. While the PURIFI modules have a bit better performance, it is really evolutionary, not any big leap forward.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Oh, yeah. C298 is using more affordable material with same core components as M series. The only thing to me that C298 missing is the auto standby function. This pushes me towards M28. Do you distinguish any sound difference between Ncore and Purifi module?
I liked the M28 enough to keep it and I did not do that with the M27. However, as I stated before: "It is an anecdotal statement based on my experience with the M27 a few years back and my recent experience with the M28. Make of it what you will! " If you want my subjective opinion on the NAD implementation of the Purifi, see my review of the M33. ;)

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I liked the M28 enough to keep it and I did not do that with the M27. However, as I stated before: "It is an anecdotal statement based on my experience with the M27 a few years back and my recent experience with the M28. Make of it what you will! " If you want my subjective opinion on the NAD implementation of the Purifi, see my review of the M33. ;)
Enjoyed your excellent write up on the M33.

zachery2006

Ordered one M28 this morning. Additionally, I ordered 2 Noctua 5v usb fans from Amazon, planning to put them on the top of M28's chassis.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Ordered one M28 this morning. Additionally, I ordered 2 Noctua 5v usb fans from Amazon, planning to put them on the top of M28's chassis.
Why?

rkwinkel

`
What did you not like about the M27 ?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
`
What did you not like about the M27 ?
Nothing except that it didn't motivate me to replace my resident amp while the M28 did. They are both excellent.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
At the time:
Digital Sources Oppo BDP-103 and UDB-205 universal players, MacMini Server running jRiver Music Center v26 and ROON, Mytek Brooklyn D/A processor, QNAP TS-831x NAS.
Preamplifiers Marantz AV8805, Mytek Brooklyn D/A processor.
Power Amplifiers Bryston 9BST, Benchmark AHB2.
Loudspeakers Monitor Audio Silver 8 (L,C,R), Silver2 (SL/SR).
Subwoofers JLAudio e110 (x2), Paradigm Reference Sub 15.
Subwoofer EQ DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4
Cables Kubala-Sosna Anticipation RCA and Fascination XLR interconnects, AudioQuest Coffee USB, AudioQuest Vodka HDMI, Kubala-Sosna Anticipation/Fascination speaker, Kubala-Sosna Emotion AC.
Accessories Furman Elite 15 DM i Power line conditioner and surge protector, Emotiva CMX-2 Precision AC Line Restoration & Common Mode Filter System.
Room 16' L × 15' W × 8' H, furnished with 96" L × 48" H × 12" D bass trap at junction of floor and front wall, GIK Soffit Bass Traps in rear corners, 2 wall-mounted 4" thick, 24" L × 48" W OC703 panels on front wall and 2 on rear wall.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Digital Sources. Oppo Digital UDP-105 universal disc player, Baetis Prodigy-X PC-based music server running JRiver Media Center v26 and Roon, Mytek Brooklyn, exaSound e38 Mark II and Okto dac8 PRO D/A processors. QNAP TVS-873 NAS.
Preamplifiers. Audio Research MP1, Coleman 7.1 Balanced Audio Switcher.
Power Amplifiers. Benchmark AHB2, Classé Sigma Mono. McCormack DNA-1 Rev. A for the SL/SR.
Loudspeakers. Revel Ultima2 Studio (L/C/R), Revel Performa3 f206 (SL/SR).
Subwoofers. 2x JLAudio f110v2, 1xJLAudio e110, JLAudio CR-1 for subwoofer control.
Cables. Digital Cables: AudioQuest Coffee (USB). Analog Interconnects: AudioQuest Earth/DBS balanced, Kubala-Sosna Anticipation (RCA).
Speaker Cables: Benchmark Studio&Stage (NL2 to banana), Canare 4S11 (Blue Jeans Cable). AC Cables Kubala-Sosna Emotion, SignalCable MagicPower 20A.
Accessories. AudioQuest Niagara 5000 and Brick-Wall BrickWall 8RAUD power conditioners, HDPLEX 400W ATX Linear Power Supply, CyberPower 850PFCLCD BBU (supplied with Baetis server).
Listening Room. 24' L × 14.5' W × 8' H, furnished with 2 MSR Acoustics Dimension4 SpringTraps in the front corners, 2 Ready Acoustics Chameleon Super Sub Bass Traps to the sides and moderately sound-absorbing furniture. Front wall has large windows partly covered by fabric drapes and 4" thick 2' × 4' OC 705 panels. Rear of room opens into 10' × 7' foyer and a 12' × 8' dining area.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Digital Sources. ... Okto dac8 PRO D/A processors.

Kal, did you (or others at Stereophile) ever review the Okto? I thought it was on the list to be reviewed many months ago from one of your posts somewhere.

Also, can I be in charge of executing your Will/Estate in the future? ;)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Kal, did you (or others at Stereophile) ever review the Okto? I thought it was on the list to be reviewed many months ago from one of your posts somewhere.
I make some comments on the DAC8 Pro in the December issue as an appendage to a review of a streamer. My DAC8 Pro will be going to JA for measurements and he will be reviewing the DAC8 Stereo in a later issue.

Also, can I be in charge of executing your Will/Estate in the future? ;)
Arrangements are already in place.

Reactions: mkt

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I make some comments on the DAC8 Pro in the December issue as an appendage to a review of a streamer. My DAC8 Pro will be going to JA for measurements and he will be reviewing the DAC8 Stereo in a later issue.

Arrangements are already in place.
Without giving anything away, will JA be shipping them back to you :)

- Rich

spaceboi

Oh, yeah. C298 is using more affordable material with same core components as M series. The only thing to me that C298 missing is the auto standby function. This pushes me towards M28. Do you distinguish any sound difference between Ncore and Purifi module?

Not sure if anyone noticed this or not, but the NAD M33 has a bridge mode.

This makes me think that they plan to simply update the M22v2 with the new purifi amps (aka M23 or M22v3), meaning similarly powered and bridgeable to whatever crazy amount of power matches the bridge mode of the new M33.

Top Bottom