• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
So All the five filters will be audibly-indistinguishable from your D10?, or just the sharp one. I am not being cynical, It's a legitimate question. I am just legitimely interested in the subject my Blind testing on them are just at the treshold of being meaningful.

I’m not even going to mess with filters. As with the D10, i’m going to pLug the E30 in, set it to 16/44.1, and profit!

But i have little doubt if both are set the same there’s no audible difference between the two.

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is anyone using multiple E30's together and found the same issue? Any solutions?
Not exactly the same circumstances, but I found it desirable to add an earth strap (attached to one of the Torx screws on the E30 front rear panel) to a good solid earth point and, in an instant, all the stability/hum/buzz issues I had been experiencing previously, vanished.

Last edited:

ModDIY

I’m not even going to mess with filters. As with the D10, i’m going to pLug the E30 in, set it to 16/44.1, and profit!

But i have little doubt if both are set the same there’s no audible difference between the two.

Yes it's true, on this site we must not say that the DACs have different sounds!!! ;)

samsa

I assume "not mess with" means that you are going to leave the E30 with its default filter (sharp, minimum phase). The D10's filter has the same frequency response (transition band between 20 and 24 kHz), but is linear phase. So, already those are different.

FWIW, the D10 inverts absolute polarity, so all those questions I was asking you above are directly relevant to whether the two DACs will "sound the same."

Bart

[My first post here.]

Not sure if it's of any help, but I have a similar setup. LXminis (with two subs), using three Topping D30's in between NanoDIGI 2x8 and a multichannel power amplifier. Have been using this configuration for nearly two years now, without any issue. Before this I used two MiniDSP 2x4's. The upgrade to NanoDIGI + external DACs was a significant improvement as far as background noise is concerned.
The three Topping D30's are powered by one 15V power supply.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I assume "not mess with" means that you are going to leave the E30 with its default filter (sharp, minimum phase). The D10's filter has the same frequency response (transition band between 20 and 24 kHz), but is linear phase. So, already those are different.

FWIW, the D10 inverts absolute polarity, so all those questions I was asking you above are directly relevant to whether the two DACs will "sound the same."
Which one (number) is the linear phase one again? I can't be bothered to browse trough the forum, I know it's been discussed. the manual don't mention it. I know that "short delay" should be a cue on what is what, but it's ambiguous... Is it a short delay compare to a longer one, or short delay compared to no delay?

samsa

Which one (number) is the linear phase one again? I can't be bothered to browse trough the forum, I know it's been discussed. the manual don't mention it. I know that "short delay" should be a cue on what is what, but it's ambiguous... Is it a short delay compare to a longer one, or short delay compared to no delay?

"short delay" = minimum phase.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor

Yeah. I know. And none of those are a concern for me. They are a concern for you and thats fine. Both dacs measure transparent both sound the same. Until I see some solid dbl blind test results proving otherwise i’m pretty comfortable with that.

samsa

Until I see some solid dbl blind test results proving otherwise ...

I'm not quite sure I understand why that would make a difference. If the two DACs "sound the same" (to you), why would you care whether someone else can hear a difference?

There's a manifest, measurable, difference between linear and minimum phase and between inverted and uninverted absolute polarity. If you already find those measurable differences inaudible, I don't see why your opinion would suddenly change if someone else found them audible.

PeteL

Major Contributor
My opinion of whether anyone can find them audible would change. Not whether I can find them audible.
So at least you agree that it's just an opinion, and not a fact, and it's just related to what you find undistinguishable, not what IS undistinguishable. I respect that.

MKW

@Bart
LXminis (with two subs), using three Topping D30's in between NanoDIGI 2x8 and a multichannel power amplifier. The upgrade to NanoDIGI + external DACs was a significant improvement as far as background noise is concerned. The three Topping D30's are powered by one 15V power supply.

Thank you for responding and welcome to the forum!

Solved the noise issue by changing the temporary (store-bought) interconnects with some DIY (Belden 1694A) interconnects (I cannibalized from other gear in the same system). They are short, so I had to move everything around too. Different cables or being disconnected/moved/reconnected solved the issue. They are quiet now - both connected to USB splitter plugged into the USB socket on the Panamax MR4300 front panel.

I can say the sound is different - probably better. A little more 'precise', and that can be interpreted as better or less musical. Was fiddling with the 6 filter settings, but not sure if I can immediately tell the difference between them. Maybe after more time listening without the air conditioner coming on/off.

My main goal is to improve sound while reducing the cost of the system. With a carefully-selected streaming source, could free-up the NAD C388 (with BluOS2i and HDMI-2 modules = fully loaded) for sale. The tricky part is functionality and ease of use of a single all-in-one integrated C388 unit.

Bart

Thank you for responding and welcome to the forum!

Solved the noise issue by changing the temporary (store-bought) interconnects with some DIY (Belden 1694A) interconnects (I cannibalized from other gear in the same system). They are short, so I had to move everything around too. Different cables or being disconnected/moved/reconnected solved the issue. They are quiet now - both connected to USB splitter plugged into the USB socket on the Panamax MR4300 front panel.

I can say the sound is different - probably better. A little more 'precise', and that can be interpreted as better or less musical. Was fiddling with the 6 filter settings, but not sure if I can immediately tell the difference between them. Maybe after more time listening without the air conditioner coming on/off.

My main goal is to improve sound while reducing the cost of the system. With a carefully-selected streaming source, could free-up the NAD C388 (with BluOS2i and HDMI-2 modules = fully loaded) for sale. The tricky part is functionality and ease of use of a single all-in-one integrated C388 unit.

Thanks. Glad you solved the noise issue.

As a source I use a Raspberry Pi (running piCorePlayer) with an Allo Digione Signature. Flac files are stored on internal drives on a PC, running Logitech Media Server. For (digital) volume control I use a smartphone with Squeeze Ctrl.

I wonder, with two or three Topping E30's, could you control volume of all units at once (I mean perfectly synchronized) using one remote?

Last edited:

Hai

Hi guys! First post here :). Bought the e30 with the schiit heresy due to their great measurements. Sadly though, my e30 just doesn't connect to my pc anymore through the USB input. It just shows an error on the screen of the dac and windows doesnt recognize it either. I read that others were having an issue like this with the Topping dx7s dac in the Amir review thread of the dx7s dac. I've tried another usb digital audio cable but to no avail. I sent it back to Apos for a replacement. Hopefully that one wont die on me :(. Loved the sound of it though with my schiit heresy. I dont know why but I get static on my heresy only when its placed on my desk. Looks like theres an electromagnetic interference there or something.

odyo

Received the E30 today. It's much smaller than i thought. Very small, cute and nice design with silver color. Serial number starting with 2006.

samsa

Hi guys! First post here :). Bought the e30 with the schiit heresy due to their great measurements. Sadly though, my e30 just doesn't connect to my pc anymore through the USB input. It just shows an error on the screen of the dac and windows doesnt recognize it either. I read that others were having an issue like this with the Topping dx7s dac in the Amir review thread of the dx7s dac. I've tried another usb digital audio cable but to no avail. I sent it back to Apos for a replacement. Hopefully that one wont die on me :(. Loved the sound of it though with my schiit heresy. I dont know why but I get static on my heresy only when its placed on my desk. Looks like theres an electromagnetic interference there or something.

What were you powering the E30 with? And what version of the E30 Windows Drivers are you using?

Aldoszx

I like my E30 but i would like to have the feature to auto standby as D50s does.
I am wondering if it is a hw capabillity or could be implemented directly in fw.

Aldoszx

Thanks @samsa.
I've already did that. I worked well on previous Ropieee release but now is broken.
@Spockfish, the creator of Ropieee, is trying to figured out how to implement it as a feature.
But it would be great to be a E30 feature instead of a workaround in OS.

samsa

But it would be great to be a E30 feature instead of a workaround in OS.

The E30 just detects whether there is +5V power supplied on the USB bus. The OS is responsible for cutting power to the USB bus when it is not in use. If the update to Ropieee broke this basic OS feature, then Ropieee should fix it.

FWIW, moOde with Linux kernel 5.4.51-v8+ #1327 works just fine in this regard. So it's not a problem with the upstream Linux kernel; it's a problem with Ropieee.

Top Bottom