• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Asgard 3 Headphone Amp & DAC Review

3125b

Major Contributor
The stylist was sketching away, top to bottom (or maybe bottom to top) -- then, he/she/they must've hiccuped.
Well, thats the way I feel about many (new) cars. They started drawing (and drinking) in the front and by the time they got to the rear everything spiraled out of control - not so with the Aztek, that whole thing is a mess. However, it did have some cool features like a tent. Should be an option for amps and DACs too.
- "I've got 115dB SINAD"
- "So what, I've got a tent"
Like, what are they gonna say? Nothing.

Last edited:

MadMan

Maybe they can make a 'Heresy' version of this with opamps instead of discrete components, and make the low-impedance not so wonky.

antdroid

Reviewer
I just sold the Asgard 3. I really liked it as an amp. I decided to keep my Jot for now and planning to get A90 soon. In terms of just subjectivity, I find the Asgard 3 has soft transients and a warm-ish sound and not as edgey/aggressive and a defined sound as say the THX amps or the RME ADI-2 DAC which I've all had at the same time. The Asgard 3 reminds me of some thing that is definitely solid state and measures like one, but has a subjective sound that falls somewhere between a softer, euphonic tube amp sound and a solid state sound. Just my opinion though. YMMV.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Forgive my ignorance, but I’m trying to understand this graph. Is it possible I’d hear distortion at reasonable listening levels with a 35 ohm Focal Elegia headphone (assuming low gain)?

BEE68A7E-982F-49D7-8104-2861B3C726CE.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It clearly states Asgard 3 Headphone out. It doesn't say whether it is in 33, 300 or 100k Ohm load.
In this case it doesn't matter as the output resistance is below 0.2 Ohm (in high and low gain mode) so the amp cannot possibly alter the tone of any headphone. Even if it wanted to.
My bad. I should have specified output impedance was 600 Ohm. I am trying to load it down but not enough to cause stress for the amp.

Here is the same test with high gain (green) at the same 2 volts in/2 volts out:

Schiit Asgard 3 Headphone Amp frequency response High Gain Audio Measurements.png

As we see there is tiny bit of droop but it is definitely not audible. There is however slight gain error in the two channels in high gain mode. Looks to be less than 0.5 dB though.

bboris77

It says so on the graph:

index.php

:)

I would ignore all the subjective reviews out there.

I know, @solderdude pointed it out already. This was before my first morning’s coffee so that’s my excuse.

In terms of the general sentiment that this is a “smooth” and “warm” sounding amp, it’s not just the subjective reviewers. This is how the Asgard 3's designer described the last step in its development: “It was a completely different amp. Warmer, fuller, more harmonically complex...the timbre was much improved. It sounded...well, like a Class A amp.”

I really don’t want to start an argument here - I know Jason is great at marketing but he is also an excellent engineer and I think he genuinely believes that the Asgard 3 is a harmonically complex amp, even though its distortion profile does not suggest that any of these harmonics are actually audible. My question to @T.M.Noble as Schiit's representative is whether there are any measurements that can demonstrate whether this amp sounds different compared to say the Heresy even though they both measure well enough that their distortion should not be audible at all.

For example, I truly believe that my HD800S sounds less sibilant through the Asgard 3 compared to when I used it with the Heresy. I just want to know whether it is all in my head because I read what Jason said about the amp before I got it, or whether there is actually any concreted scientific evidence to back up this assertion.

bboris77

Maybe they can make a 'Heresy' version of this with opamps instead of discrete components, and make the low-impedance not so wonky.
The Magni 3+ solves that problem already. It has a driver stage which helps low impedance performance. However, high impedance performance suffers a bit, but nothing dramatic. Check its measurements.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In terms of the general sentiment that this is a “smooth” and “warm” sounding amp, it’s not just the subjective reviewers. This is how the Asgard 3's designer described the last step in its development: “It was a completely different amp. Warmer, fuller, more harmonically complex...the timbre was much improved. It sounded...well, like a Class A amp.”
A designer is good at designing. He is no expert in proper evaluation of sound. He should back what he said with a controlled test. I will happily bet $1000 he won't be able to substantiate that statement in a blind test.

Note that every audio designer makes statements like this. If they were believable, we would close shop here and just go by what they say.

bboris77

A designer is good at designing. He is no expert in proper evaluation of sound. He should back what he said with a controlled test. I will happily bet $1000 he won't be able to substantiate that statement in a blind test.

Note that every audio designer makes statements like this. If they were believable, we would close shop here and just go by what they say.
Careful Amir, maybe he will take you up on that offer ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For example, I truly believe that my HD800S sounds less sibilant through the Asgard 3 compared to when I used it with the Heresy. I just want to know whether it is all in my head because I read what Jason said about the amp before I got it, or whether there is actually any concreted scientific evidence to back up this assertion.
Definitely in your head. :) Get a $20 AB switch from Amazon, match levels as best as you can, then have someone test you blind.

I too have sworn sibilant was different in one amp vs another only to have it go away when levels are matched and test is blind.

The main benefit of Asgard 3 is that it can play loud, very loud. To the extent you are maxing out another amp, then Asgard will sound better with more power. That would be the main distinction.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Happy To Recommend? Its worse than the JDS Atom or the Geshelli Archel 2 Pro... its also not better than the "old" Topping A30.

It really falls into the middle of the category. If someone WANTS a Schiit product then its "an option" but its not competitive on price or performance.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Careful Amir, maybe he will take you up on that offer ;)
Oh, I am 100% serious. I would up the amount to $2,000 if he shoots a video while he takes the test. 10 trials, level matched against the Heresy. If he gets 8 out 10 right, then I will gladly write the check. He will be making brand new audio science and that is worth a lot more than $2000.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There is however slight gain error in the two channels in high gain mode. Looks to be less than 0.5 dB though.

That's the downside of current feedback circuits when gain is increased.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I know, @solderdude pointed it out already. This was before my first morning’s coffee so that’s my excuse.

I really don’t want to start an argument here - I know Jason is great at marketing but he is also an excellent engineer and I think he genuinely believes that the Asgard 3 is a harmonically complex amp, even though its distortion profile does not suggest that any of these harmonics are actually audible. My question to @T.M.Noble as Schiit's representative is whether there are any measurements that can demonstrate whether this amp sounds different compared to say the Heresy even though they both measure well enough that their distortion should not be audible at all.

At the risk of stating the obvious, the Asgard's designer is also essentially its lead marketer. He isn't going to say "when I finished, it sounded like every other decent solid state headphone amp that I and anyone else has built", is he?

I think we should all stop assuming the subjective assessments of anyone involved in the development, production or selling of anything have any value. You can include the hifi marketing industry (including the hifi press and a lot of the web forums) in that.

Thats not a criticism of Jason, Schiit, or indeed anyone else in the business. But it is ALL a business.

EDIT: I appreciate the subjective assessments of anyone have little to no value here or elsewhere , but just work with me :facepalm:

Last edited:

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely DONT get the Modius unless you want an excuse to buy a balanced HPA to go with it ;-)
I am predicting Schiit comes out with a balanced HPA that stacks with the Modius within the next 6 months. I have no concrete evidence to back this claim, outside of spidy-sense and looking at gaps in the current Schiit line-up.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am predicting Schiit comes out with a balanced HPA that stacks with the Modius within the next 6 months. I have no concrete evidence to back this claim, outside of spidy-sense and looking at gaps in the current Schiit line-up.

How much difference in footprint between Modius and Jot? (but not the same "look" even if it fits)

Top Bottom