• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Bluesound NODE 2i Streamer

REK2575

@tomstoll -- It doesn't surprise me that you preferred the Denon DAC to the Node2i -- your experience matches mine when I switched from RCA out to COAX out on the 2i to the Sabaj D5 DAC. Bottom line seems to be that the Node2i's native DAC is seriously lacking and that it's easy to get much better results using another DAC. Fortunately you can easily pick up a much better performing DAC these days for not much $$.

I'd be curious though if you can hear the difference between the Denon DAC and the Topping, when you receive that.

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I returned my Node 2i last week. It has excellent connectivity and integrates lots of services but it's app is just ... dismal. I was astonished. I was relaly expecting it to be good. BubbleUpnp is way better.

XeNoNF50

@tomstoll -- It doesn't surprise me that you preferred the Denon DAC to the Node2i -- your experience matches mine when I switched from RCA out to COAX out on the 2i to the Sabaj D5 DAC. Bottom line seems to be that the Node2i's native DAC is seriously lacking and that it's easy to get much better results using another DAC. Fortunately you can easily pick up a much better performing DAC these days for not much $$.

I'd be curious though if you can hear the difference between the Denon DAC and the Topping, when you receive that.

I tried the COAX out on the Node 2i to Sabaj D5 (to SMSL SP200 headamp) and it was noticeably better than internal DAC.

Shame the Sabaj D5 lives in my desktop set up upstairs rather than my downstairs set up. I'm looking for a good DAC which also has LDAC bluetooth for this at a certain max price range of £550 (ideally cheaper) and it seems and my choices are seemingly SMSL M200, Topping D70 BT, Topping DX7 PRO, Gustard A18 or SONCOZ SGD1.

MingChops

I returned my Node 2i last week. It has excellent connectivity and integrates lots of services but it's app is just ... dismal. I was astonished. I was relaly expecting it to be good. BubbleUpnp is way better.

I'm the opposite, I think BluOS is excellent (Amazon integration is poor mind) - and BubbleUpnp to me is the worst app I've used for music, and I've used a lot!

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm the opposite, I think BluOS is excellent (Amazon integration is poor mind) - and BubbleUpnp to me is the worst app I've used for music, and I've used a lot!
There you go. The best way to choose is to try. Or maybe we can figure out how to measure the quality of a user interface?

XeNoNF50

I think it is good on mobile but terrible on desktop! Luckily I use mostly exclusively mobile.

REK2575

For what it's worth, I'm in the middle when it comes to the BluOS app. I don't love it, but I find it usable and reliable. I use both the Android and Windows versions -- I don't see much difference between them, honestly.

It's about as bland and dull an interface as you could ask for. Still, it gets the job done -- I've found it to be stable and reasonably user-friendly.

For me, it's definitely worth putting up with BluOS's shortcomings because streaming hi-res Qobuz through the Node2i (supplemented with a higher-quality DAC, which is crucial!) is such a joy.

luckychaz

My main problem with BluOS app is it’s ability to connect easily to my network/local share. Nothing but a problem every time I do it. Once it’s done though I don’t have any complaints. I dread the day my 3 Node 2i’s lose connectivity to my network share where my music is. Prior to this I used Logitech Media Center for years without any issue whatsoever connecting to my external hard drive to stream my music. In fact I much prefer that than the BluOS to stream my library.

tomstoll

Forum Donor

yeah the amazon interface is terrible but thats amazon's fault it appears. but from i could find its the only device that has amazon integration.

i might have to go back and revisit TIDAl if i cant live with it.

meinhard57

This is disappointing as I was hoping for a AIO solution for streaming/dac etc. I have read a lot about node 2i/2 I do believe any connections out to a dac only result in 24/96 no mqa unfolding.

*First post here and this site is exactly what I have been looking for all of your input is very valuable, Amirm your reviews are the best I've seen. Love Science!
Just looking at ths thread. I can tell you that the BluOS operating system has been updated so that if you are using an MQA-capable DAC (like Mytek Brooklyn, etc.), you can send a raw digital stream to the DAC from the Node 2 or 2i to get FULL MQA unfolding in your DAC.

meinhard57

Sharing for anyone interested, this is data I collected, couldn't find a comparison anywhere. The Node 2i stacks up well for features I want...except for lack of Pandora...got to think they'll add that at some point. Kind of silly not to have it. Denon and Marantz are only ones with displays though, what's up with that? Would have to imagine Sonos and Yamaha will catchup in the next iteration.

View attachment 21534

Sonos will do no such thing. They in no way cater to audiophiles and music lovers. They are focused on profit above everything else. That said, they do have a very impressive list of supported streaming partners and their products are very user-friendly. Just don't expect them to do ANYTHING to up the "wow factor" on their products. They don't need to, because they are so dominant.

meinhard57

I tried the COAX out on the Node 2i to Sabaj D5 (to SMSL SP200 headamp) and it was noticeably better than internal DAC.

Shame the Sabaj D5 lives in my desktop set up upstairs rather than my downstairs set up. I'm looking for a good DAC which also has LDAC bluetooth for this at a certain max price range of £550 (ideally cheaper) and it seems and my choices are seemingly SMSL M200, Topping D70 BT, Topping DX7 PRO, Gustard A18 or SONCOZ SGD1.

Just bought a Topping DX7 Pro recently and I am BLOWN AWAY. Better than the Mytek Brooklyn DAC I sold - and it costs about 75% LESS. Bravo, Topping. I heartily recommend it on all fronts.

XeNoNF50

Just bought a Topping DX7 Pro recently and I am BLOWN AWAY. Better than the Mytek Brooklyn DAC I sold - and it costs about 75% LESS. Bravo, Topping. I heartily recommend it on all fronts.

Awesome! Glad you like it! As I said I've been using my Sabaj D5 on my main, desktop set up which has the same DAC chip as your Topping and I'm finding it phenomenal. Sounds so good in the Sabaj D5 -> xDuoo TA-30 -> Focal Utopia chain.

I went for the M200 in the end since the head amp I've got downstairs is the SP200 - it seems a good level of performance luckily. As much as I'd have loved to purchase a es9038pro or ak4499 dac for that set up I couldn't find it in me to pay 2x for it at the moment - I've spent more than I would like recently! So Bluesound Node 2i -> SMSL M200 -> SMSL SP200 -> Focal Stellia downstairs.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Geez. Based on how this thing measures, I'm glad I opted for the Cambridge CXNv2 instead. I wonder how that measures...?

MingChops

i finally decided on the schitt modius as my dac. cant wait to try it out.

I've got my Node 2i going in to a Modius, I'd be interested to know your thoughts when you've had chance to compare.

I've only had it a couple of days and not done huge amounts of listening, but I would say I am slightly disappointed - not with the DAC directly, but with the fact that on a A/B test there is usually no discernible difference (to average pop biased content anyway, I don't do Jazz or Classical!). On some tracks where there is a difference, then it's only a subtle difference.
So the disappointment really stems more from that fact I was simply hoping for more given the measurement differences between the 2i and Modius on this site.

That said, it sounds great and it wasn't a scientific test as the RCA's in use on the 2i were 3 times the price as the set I grabbed to setup on the Modius for the A/B test temporarily. There is a general perception whilst listening that there is a calmer less busy nature to the music (the lower noise floor/higher SNR I would assume), but it's not something you could hope to really pin point in a blind test. It's scant when flicking between the 2 inputs, now perhaps higher volume listening might reveal more but I've not had the luxury of a quiet house yet!
For instances where the track does exhibit a tangible difference, I found it in female vocals, being smoother and less brittle (Florence and the Machine being the most obvious) - a blind test would be doable I think, and given much of my music is this sort of thing I'm very pleased with the sound the Modius produces.

This leaves me still wanting to try a Qutest (old Hifi habits die hard!)...but if it's improvement offers only a roughly similar amount then I would not keep it for the money, not even close. I am now thinking that given such minor differences between the Modius and 2i (where measurement delta was high), then the Modius to Qutest (where measurement delta is low) is probably going to be non-existent?!

tomstoll

Forum Donor
I've got my Node 2i going in to a Modius, I'd be interested to know your thoughts when you've had chance to compare.

I've only had it a couple of days and not done huge amounts of listening, but I would say I am slightly disappointed - not with the DAC directly, but with the fact that on a A/B test there is usually no discernible difference (to average pop biased content anyway, I don't do Jazz or Classical!). On some tracks where there is a difference, then it's only a subtle difference.
So the disappointment really stems more from that fact I was simply hoping for more given the measurement differences between the 2i and Modius on this site.

That said, it sounds great and it wasn't a scientific test as the RCA's in use on the 2i were 3 times the price as the set I grabbed to setup on the Modius for the A/B test temporarily. There is a general perception whilst listening that there is a calmer less busy nature to the music (the lower noise floor/higher SNR I would assume), but it's not something you could hope to really pin point in a blind test. It's scant when flicking between the 2 inputs, now perhaps higher volume listening might reveal more but I've not had the luxury of a quiet house yet!
For instances where the track does exhibit a tangible difference, I found it in female vocals, being smoother and less brittle (Florence and the Machine being the most obvious) - a blind test would be doable I think, and given much of my music is this sort of thing I'm very pleased with the sound the Modius produces.

This leaves me still wanting to try a Qutest (old Hifi habits die hard!)...but if it's improvement offers only a roughly similar amount then I would not keep it for the money, not even close. I am now thinking that given such minor differences between the Modius and 2i (where measurement delta was high), then the Modius to Qutest (where measurement delta is low) is probably going to be non-existent?!
very interesting

i noticed a marked difference between the node 2 rca outs vs coax into my denon x3600, albeit with the crappy rca's that came with the node. i have another set of "better" rca cables to compare against once i have the modius on hand.

if i dont notice an audible difference ill likley return the modius or use it to replace a monolith usb dac that im having some noise issues on my office setup

i also have a smsl sanskrit on order that was going to be used to swap out the monolith but will see if i keep the modius for the HT. if not then ill compare the modius/sanskrit on my desktop setup.

Top Bottom