• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Topping A90 Headphone Amp

omgezkoren

Unless you own some power hungry headphone and in need of more power it's imo not worth it.

i just looked at the dac ranking of the site and the best ones know 115 sinad value and are very very expensive, it would be totally unrealistic to buy a $ 3000-4000 dac device for a $ 500 amp.

Sean_S

As A90 has a volume control. The SNR of the upstream component will be preserved. The higher output of the DAC3 won't give any SNR benefit if not more distortion (potential). But we usually test on 5V in for SE input. So take that as a reference point. There's no issue when the voltage is within the input range. I recommend using Mid gain setting on A90. So choose the DAC3 output level to fit the loudness you want.
John, I misspoke. Dac3 is fixed SE out at 0dBFS=0Vrms. On the BAL out can be 7.5, 17.5, or 27.5Vrms. Which output, SE or BAL, configuration would you recommend to optimize noise level? Whichever Allows me to achieve the volume I want at at 12 o’clock position on the volume pot?

....we do buy this stuff for the .00000%’s

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
'Geshelli Killer' -- Interesting terminology.
Only a tiny Male Female partner team is causing headache to large companies like you.

Hope you take care of the QC issues unlike Sabaj & SMSL.
In the thirst to 'kill' and pricewars, its always customers who loose coz we are made to believe cheaper and cheaper is better.

Anyways, I know whose side I am on :)
Go Killer !
And to my team, I say ---- Release the Kraken !!!! :)

Geshelli Archel 2.5 has yet to be tested by anyone outside of Geshelli, but Geshelli’s own measurements show SINAD of 121. The A90 and Archel 2.5 will probably be at the top of the heap for a little while, at least. Over the last two years or so, headamp performance records have been shattered at a blinding pace, with less and less expensive units offering better and better performance. I think it is shaping up to be the “Golden Age” for the headphone industry.

Veri

Master Contributor
so would i buy a Topping A90 in addition to the Topping dx3 pro v2? wouldn’t it be a more dynamic, clearer, more detailed, bigger soundstage? is it worth buying a Topping A90 only if you have a sinad DAC 115-120 worth it?
No.

dixter

The A90 is a balanced amp in the line up of Topping... the matching DAC is the D90 and it is also balanced... not that you can't use either with different DAC or Amps... but the Topping stack is going to be D90 to A90... and they are also going to be presenting the P90 pre amp...

At this moment the D90/A90 is the ticket to get....

rurika

I'm curious about P90 that would be release in the future.
If they want to match A90/D90 aesthetics. Wouldn't it feel like too short ? The best that they can do might just only 3 inputs (2rca, 1xlr) and 2 outputs (1rca, 1xlr).
So, I guess P90 might double the length(wide) of A90/D90 and when you want to stack it together. Just lay P90 underneath of D90 siding with A90.
Or they might make P90 height x2 so it can side A90/D90 together. It will look a little bit bulky though for a preamp.
Also, please make P90 to switch XLR/RCA input with remote control.

Anyway, I think I still buy A90 but since it has no benefit for pre-order. I'm going to wait a little bit for amirm's review.

Veri

Master Contributor
Is this simlar to THX feed-forward error correction?

JohnYang investigated exact workings of THX tech and the feed-forward is mostly marketing, at the core of the THX tech is the implementation of a feedback composite amplifier. So yes the A90 uses this same thing but optimised for a lot lower distortion.

jae

Major Contributor
I'm curious about P90 that would be release in the future.
If they want to match A90/D90 aesthetics. Wouldn't it feel like too short ? The best that they can do might just only 3 inputs (2rca, 1xlr) and 2 outputs (1rca, 1xlr).
So, I guess P90 might double the length(wide) of A90/D90 and when you want to stack it together. Just lay P90 underneath of D90 siding with A90.
Or they might make P90 height x2 so it can side A90/D90 together. It will look a little bit bulky though for a preamp.
Also, please make P90 to switch XLR/RCA input with remote control.

Anyway, I think I still buy A90 but since it has no benefit for pre-order. I'm going to wait a little bit for amirm's review.

Got a bit confused here as 'P' is what they used for the power supply designation for the P50 unit, but realised you were talking about the upcoming preamp. 2x height would be best to match the stack, and will also give opportunity for much larger knob. Maybe 2x height but half width might also be good, so it could be placed right next to the stack without looking too big. I think it should have at least 2x XLR output and 1-2 RCA output, and at least 1 each XLR/RCA input.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Got a bit confused here as 'P' is what they used for the power supply designation for the P50 unit, but realised you were talking about the upcoming preamp. 2x height would be best to match the stack, and will also give opportunity for much larger knob. Maybe 2x height but half width might also be good, so it could be placed right next to the stack without looking too big. I think it should have at least 2x XLR output and 1-2 RCA output, and at least 1 each XLR/RCA input.
It will be called Pre90 not P90.

WoodyLuvr

so would i buy a Topping A90 in addition to the Topping dx3 pro v2? wouldn’t it be a more dynamic, clearer, more detailed, bigger soundstage? is it worth buying a Topping A90 only if you have a sinad DAC 115-120 worth it?
Unless you own some power hungry headphone and in need of more power it's imo not worth it.
@Patrick1958 Might be worth it for the improved channel balance at the pot and the friendlier headphone output impedance <0.1Ω vs <10Ω on the DX3 Pro v2.

omgezkoren

@Patrick1958 Might be worth it for the improved channel balance at the pot and the friendlier headphone output impedance <0.1Ω vs <10Ω on the DX3 Pro v2.

the exact output impedance of my Topping dx3 pro v2 device is 6.2ohm. i am currently using meze 99 classics and akg k612 pro with headphones, both sound as tuned as they are by default. the Topping dx3 pro v2 is very good, I don't hear any distortion in the high gain position either, I use the k612 pro high gain -10db maximum. meze 99C and low gain -20db maximum. I would have just wondered how I could produce even better sound from both headphones. i have a guess the dx3 pro v2 is very killer sounding worth 220 € and i would have to spend a lot if i want a clear audible improvement. pl: Topping a90 + Topping D90. but it's already € 1,300, a lot, and I think I could barely hear a difference.

Can we see a picture with the interior of the A90 ?

Top Bottom