• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sabaj D5 DAC & Amp

Veri

Master Contributor
Hello. its possible to make combo with d5 and smsl sp200? Will this option be much better than the d5 amplifier?
D5 amplifier over 4-pin XLR is very good. If you have balanced headphones, there is no need to buy external amplifier.
The 1/4inch(6.3mm) plug is less powerful, so could be external amp has purpose. Just try it first!

Megatronic

D5 amplifier over 4-pin XLR is very good. If you have balanced headphones, there is no need to buy external amplifier.
The 1/4inch(6.3mm) plug is less powerful, so could be external amp has purpose. Just try it first!
Thanks. So if i use 4-pin xlr on d5 then I won’t hear much difference in comparison with sp200 4-pin xlr? It turns out there is no point in overpaying for a sp200?

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks. So if i use 4-pin xlr on d5 then I won’t hear much difference in comparison with sp200 4-pin xlr? It turns out there is no point in overpaying for a sp200?
If you use 4-pin XLR you are definitely set, it is very good already. You would need an external amplifier, in case it does not go loud enough for your headphone. I would not jump on paying for SP200.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
If you use 4-pin XLR you are definitely set, it is very good already. You would need an external amplifier, in case it does not go loud enough for your headphone. I would not jump on paying for SP200.

The only potential difficulty could be from really hungry headphones.

Sabajd D5 headphones output is 56mW, SP200 is 2.1Watts! Really huge output power, nice unit, but what is your headphones?

Veri

Master Contributor
The only potential difficulty could be from really hungry headphones.

Sabajd D5 headphones output is 56mW, SP200 is 2.1Watts! Really huge output power, nice unit, but what is your headphones?
Sabaj D5 balanced is measured 1.3Watts here. So that is already quite a lot...
index.php

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Sabaj D5 balanced is measured 1.3Watts here. So that is already quite a lot...
index.php
My mistake. Yes, quite a lot... Really no reason to spend more... Except if you want to listen with your speakers and with the headphones in the same time.
And in this case some products are less expansive like a Shiit Heresy.

rmsanger

First time poster here...

Really interested in the following combos:

SMSL SP200 ($300) -> SMSL M400 (~$600)
Topping A90 (~$500) -> Topping D90 ($700)
Drop THX 789 ($300) -> Gustard DAC-X22 ($1000)
or
Sabaj D5 DAC & Amp ~ $400

I have the LCD-X, LCD-3, Klipsch HP-3...

Is it possible for $400 D5 dac/amp combo can compete with the above in the $1k - $1.3k range? Is seems to be that the Topping A90 and SMSL M400 are the latest and greatest to arrive just not sure that would be the optimal pairing and if the expected performance will likely be substantially better than the D5? Thoughts?

Veri

Master Contributor
First time poster here...

Really interested in the following combos:

SMSL SP200 ($300) -> SMSL M400 (~$600)
Topping A90 (~$500) -> Topping D90 ($700)
Drop THX 789 ($300) -> Gustard DAC-X22 ($1000)
or
Sabaj D5 DAC & Amp ~ $400

I have the LCD-X, LCD-3, Klipsch HP-3...

Is it possible for $400 D5 dac/amp combo can compete with the above in the $1k - $1.3k range? Is seems to be that the Topping A90 and SMSL M400 are the latest and greatest to arrive just not sure that would be the optimal pairing and if the expected performance will likely be substantially better than the D5? Thoughts?
My take. Consider drop 789 and Topping E30, and a set of RCA cables. ~$420 stack with better amplifier than D5, same price.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Is it possible for $400 D5 dac/amp combo can compete with the above in the $1k - $1.3k range

Welcome to ASR. The short answer to your question is: yes. ASR is about measured performance not $$$, and there are quite a few components measured here that are "budget" but do as good or better than more expensive equipment. To that point: @Veri made a great recommendation of a DAC + amp combo.

I realize you're likely looking for a quick answer to your question. But in general I would suggest:
  1. Read this to understand how to interpret some of the measurements for DACs and amps: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-thresholds-of-amp-and-dac-measurements.5734/
  2. Really read through Amir's reviews on the equipment you're looking at:
  3. Realize that almost all high-performing DACs will have no audible difference in SQ.
  4. For amps, pay close attention to output impedance and power. You'll want to make sure you get that right depending on the headphones you have. (i.e., very low output impedance -- ~1 Ω or lower -- if you have sensitive IEMs; lots of power if you have hard-to-drive headphones.)
The Sabaj D5 is a state of the art DAC; on the amp side you can do a bit better if you need lower output impedance and/or if you need more power, although the balanced XLR out on the D5 may solve that problem for you.

decebalus

One could be mine. I was pissed by the software bugs and the sound was bright and very fatiguing. Also, the amp could barely drive the AKG 812 to a listenable volume. I returned it.

keep in mind the balanced output is the one u you want to use when you are in the need of power, a simple adaptor 4pin xlr to 3.5mm will let you enjoy the benefits of this second amplifier

Veri

Master Contributor
keep in mind the balanced output is the one u you want to use when you are in the need of power, a simple adaptor 4pin xlr to 3.5mm will let you enjoy the benefits of this second amplifier
holy shit dude you can't convert 4pin XLR to 3.5mm, 3.5mm can't possibly receive the 'second amplifier'. those are the very basics of balanced audio, what you're doing can damage the Sabaj D5 ......

decebalus

holy shit dude you can't convert 4pin XLR to 3.5mm, 3.5mm can't possibly receive the 'second amplifier'. those are the very basics of balanced audio, what you're doing can damage the Sabaj D5 ......

oooooh, i'm so sorry i just destroyed one of the biggest myths in the audio industry.... hope you can still sleep from now on !

ooooh what a jerk i am!

i'm helping to destroy the multi billionaire chinese industry, now everyone can go dirty cheap and stop buying one extra set of cable for their headphone...

replacing that with one adaptor to rule them all.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
i'm helping to destroy the multi billionaire chinese industry, now everyone can go dirty cheap and stop buying one extra set of cable for their headphone...

replacing that with one adaptor to rule them all.
Lol one of the biggest myths in audio industry, 3.5mm is physically incapable of receiving the 4-pin signal, you realise you can't force double output over a single line without a transformer? 3.5mm is SINGLE ENDED, an adapter that shorts half of the 4-pin output results in SINGLE ENDED, shorting the output can damage your amp over time. But sure, be a moron ... see for yourself

Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 10.01.51.png

Last edited:

decebalus

Lol one of the biggest myths in audio industry, 3.5mm is physically incapable of receiving the 4-pin signal, you realise you can't force double output over a single line without a transformer? You don't have a clue do you?! 3.5mm is SINGLE ENDED, an adapter that shorts half of the 4-pin output results in SINGLE ENDED, shorting the output can damage your amp over time. But sure, be a moron.

View attachment 61949

no look let's make things straight here, you don't call me moron ! you have no expertise no experince and you have no clue of what you talk as a matter of fact you're major support to you're theory is a screenshot of some people which they left some feedbacks on Amazon, you're ridiculous ! i wasted enought time with you!

btw you're on AudioSCIENCEreview, not AudioAMAZONreview

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
no look let's make things straight here, you don't call me moron ! you have no expertise no experince and you have no clue of what you talk as a matter of fact you're major support to you're theory is a screenshot of some people which they left some feedbacks on Amazon
You don't know what you are talking about. What's more your anecdotal advice is simply dangerous. The 'science' in audio science review infers you actually learn and read up on things rather than spouting nonsense and taking offence at being wrong.

For the final time. You cannot convert 4-pin balanced XLR over a cable adapter. it is physically impossible to get the doubled voltage over single ended. You don't know what you're doing...

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Gentlemen, a new guy is coming in this forum and look this mess in 3 posts.

I do not understand why you are so aggressive. Calm down. These days stuck at home are hard for everybody and we need more understanding and more benevolence.

And sometimes, even if it is hard when you never do that, apologize is not the wrong way.

Veri

Master Contributor
Can we conduct ourselves a little more respectfully please .
My apologies for being harsh, but I don't really think that not listening to "you might damage your Sabaj D5" the first nor second time it is pointed out is appropriate when it comes to a $500 device. I guess he or she will learn a lesson when something breaks.. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom