• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sabaj D5 DAC & Amp

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

themystical

I might be selling mine as despite several requests Sabaj are unable to solve the incompatibility issue with the Nvidia Shield - every other DAC I have tried is compatible with the Nvidia Shield.

Malis

The Sabaj D5 is up on AliExpress for US $409, down from $470. (I believe you can get it even cheaper if you stack coupons.)

I ordered this on 9th of January and chose delivery from UK (I am living in europe). After stacking the coupons I got it for 352 EUR, which is about 391 USD. And I just received it. Strange that it is being delivered in Amazon box and in the delivery it says that Amazon is delivering it.

Veri

Master Contributor
I ordered this on 9th of January and chose delivery from UK (I am living in europe). After stacking the coupons I got it for 352 EUR, which is about 391 USD. And I just received it. Strange that it is being delivered in Amazon box and in the delivery it says that Amazon is delivering it.
That's funny.

Sak

Yea, i received it from Amazon too:D

decebalus

Many sellers on AliExpress relies on Amazon warehouse when this is possible, not to strange...

HARMAN

hi all
i need dac to be connected to integrated via rca
I'm debating between topping d70 and sabaj d5
i understand from reading this forum sabaj is more warm sound than topping
the topping is more laid back sound
i am a little confuse :)
will be glad for help

skypablo

hi all
will be glad for help
Not really an answer as I have not both but after reading reviews here and everywhere I was tempted by them. I choosed the d5 (amazon) and tested side by side with my hugo2. I sold the hugo2 and now I am very happy with d5. A couple of weeks later I added a thx887 and now background seems also darker (maybe only in my brain) and power is oversized. D5 is very good unit and if you did not have power hungry SE headphones it has enought power to drive iems and headphones with great quality. As dac it is a beast, the only difference I noticed vs hugo2 was a little (very very little) more sibilance on violins highest notes. But maybe my speakers are a bit bright as MA gold100 are treble cannons with their ribbon tweeter.
So my idea is ... with d5 you cant go wrong apart from headphone amp power but you know what you need.
Here my (loved) d5 with xlr to 887, rca to the rega elex, coax from chromecast audio, usb from android otg and optical from pc for qobuz. Cheers!!!

Attachments

• kk.jpg
    kk.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 262

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
hi all
will be glad for help

Comparing the DAC portion of the Sabaj D5 to the Topping D70 it will be almost impossible -- if not impossible -- to detect any audible difference between the two. Both measure exceptionally well across the board: SINAD, jitter, linearity (both have 20 bits of resolution), and IMD. These are two very transparent DACs. As such you should buy based on price, features, build quality, etc. Don't buy based on perceived sound signatures of "warm" or "laid back", those differences don't exist between these two DACs.

Lotus97

which DAC has the better pre-out components is more important, imo, both Topping and Sabaj Dac's should be paired with a high-end stereo pre-amp to get the best possible sound quality.

TomC707

Hi, new member here. Just found this site and really enjoy it. I was looking for a good DAC / Amp stack or combo and was eyeing the Drop SMSL SU-8 / SH - 8 combo and Topping DX7s when I came upon the ASR review of the Sabaj D5. Purchased from Amazon with current discount and very satisfied with the performance. It's built like a tank and looks great! Has firmware 1.4 and no issues with the volume knob. Control and menu access is simple using either the remote or volume knob. Current input is Chromecast audio via Toslink casting MediaMonkey and Amazon Music HD. Been using the SE output with a pair of Monolith M570 headphones for a few days and just received a balance cable today so giving it a good listen...haven't experienced any "mind blowing" differences between SE and balanced, but the M570's are only 32 Ohm at 96db so may not gain much benefit.

glajman

Just to report back, I've received the firmware update tool after a long wait (no issues there, just noting).

Also a note, download the file right away when you talk to support, the link they give you get's outdated after a month so you can't download it until you talk to support again (which can take a while in some instances).

It is now v1.4. My control knob is working and now I have no issues with my unit. No audible difference, but didn't expect it also. I've awarded myself with a pair of Sennheiser HD6xx, sounds great together (at least to my ears).

I don't think I'll be needing a new dac/amp combo for a while :).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
which DAC has the better pre-out components is more important, imo, both Topping and Sabaj Dac's should be paired with a high-end stereo pre-amp to get the best possible sound quality.

They are both fully functional as simple preamps, so most would consider adding a preamp after the DAC not only unneeded, but more likely to increase the chance of something audibly objectionable.

How is a preamp, just for the sake of having one, supposed to make it sound better?

Musec

Love the very spacious sound of this little wonder Sabaj D5. Beats with ease much more expensive DAC's. But I found also some flaws; The volume knob is a little wagly but because I use only the RC it's not bother me. No AES/EBU input. You hear a 'plop' when switching to or from the I2S input. The USB signal terminated if you switch to an other input and needs a restart from the connected source (streamer). A I2S connection can give you troubles. I hooked it to a Pink Faun I2S card with PS Audio pinout. It sounded distorted with atifacts. The display indicated wrong information; With playing PCM 44,1 it indicates DSD 2.8224 MHz.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
A I2S connection can give you troubles. I hooked it to a Pink Faun I2S card with PS Audio pinout. It sounded distorted with atifacts. The display indicated wrong information; With playing PCM 44,1 it indicates DSD 2.8224 MHz.

I2S wiring/pin-out is always finnicky though. it's all around a silly way to transfer digital audio, imo.
USB converts to I2S internally just fine, after all, in 99% of DACs! Why would you need a "special" extra carrier device for I2S ...

Top Bottom