• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sabaj D5 DAC & Amp

Musec

I2S wiring/pin-out is always finnicky though. it's all around a silly way to transfer digital audio, imo.
USB converts to I2S internally just fine, after all, in 99% of DACs! Why would you need a "special" extra carrier device for I2S ...
For I2S there is just no extra carrier required because data and clock are send seperately, potentially reducing jitter. If you had heard the differences between I2S and USB you could hear more smoothness and a larger soundstage for I2S. Ofcourse is for optimal results a correct transfer and high quality cable necessary. Because I2S is not designed for a connection between devices is a proper standard missing. That's the reason for so many types of plugs and pinouts what makes I2S unpopulair.

Veri

Master Contributor
If you had heard the differences between I2S and USB you could hear more smoothness and a larger soundstage for I2S.

I own a Singxer SU-1 with I2S output. I have experimented with this output and heard none of those differences...

Musec

I'm not familiar with a Singer SU-1 but it's an extra conversion between USB and I2S and will give not optimal results. It's better to use a pure I2S outputsignal generated direct from the computer interface like my Pink Faun I2S Bridge (PCIe card). It's not a big difference but for most users I2S is more pleasant than an USB connection.

Last edited:

soicjensen

Hello folks,

Anyone notice where the 100MHz XO for ES9038 is?
There are NDK for XMOS processor, but I just can't find where the typical 100MHz oscillator located, maybe the bottom side of PCB?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I won't lie, I get confused when AliExpress puts things on sale. That said, it appears the Sabaj D5 is down to US $432 (from $470).
  • Sale price appears to start March 27, 2020?
  • Actual price could be lower than $432? Depends on the whole "stackable coupon" thing.
Here's the product page: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32981617027.html

sabaj_d5_aliexpress.png

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Amazon.de also sells D5 (used) for 370 euros. I ordered one and it looks like a brand new device (returns or damaged box). Comes with 1.4 firmware.

One could be mine. I was pissed by the software bugs and the sound was bright and very fatiguing. Also, the amp could barely drive the AKG 812 to a listenable volume. I returned it.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
No problem with software v1.4 since months. Sounds excellent for me and sold preamp and old "audiophile" DAC since SMSL SU8 and Sabaj D5.

andrewch

One could be mine. I was pissed by the software bugs and the sound was bright and very fatiguing. Also, the amp could barely drive the AKG 812 to a listenable volume. I returned it.

Thanks :D For me it's perfect atm. At that price I can also plugin in my active monitors later via balanced.
Driving the Focal Elex balanced, don't need much more (I guess).

mabqzKi.jpg

mocenigo

Major Contributor
No problem with software v1.4 since months. Sounds excellent for me and sold preamp and old "audiophile" DAC since SMSL SU8 and Sabaj D5.

So they have updated those returns. However, I was really disappointed by the sound. And I am a seeker of transparency, not of audiophile "sound". Maybe that unit had other problems.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Thanks :D For me it's perfect atm. At that price I can also plugin in my active monitors later via balanced.
Driving the Focal Elex balanced, don't need much more (I guess).

mabqzKi.jpg

TBH, I am happy for you. The sound was very clear, very detailed, transparent and dynamic. What you would expect from an extremely well measuring device. But it also had very fatiguing treble.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Well, I guess you do not like this equipment or the one you received was not working correctly. This is, at the end, not a reason to negate our pleasure with the Sabaj D5 even if you consider the unit has very fatiguing treble.

andrewch

TBH, I am happy for you. The sound was very clear, very detailed, transparent and dynamic. What you would expect from an extremely well measuring device. But it also had very fatiguing treble.

@mocenigo What are you using now for the AKG 812?

I found the Elex fatiguing before. Now they feel much smoother. Of course I'm gonna order something else by end of year (who am I kidding) and A/B the Sabaj D5. Amazon used products are sometimes great deals and return policy is awesome. Till then, gonna enjoy it :)

mocenigo

Major Contributor
@mocenigo What are you using now for the AKG 812?

I found the Elex fatiguing before. Now they feel much smoother. Of course I'm gonna order something else by end of year (who am I kidding) and A/B the Sabaj D5. Amazon used products are sometimes great deals and return policy is awesome. Till then, gonna enjoy it :)

I have a Chord Mojo for when I travel(led) and a Soekris DAC 1541 (not to be confused with the 1421).

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
  1. It’s $10k to a charity of your choice (a US 501c3 acceptable to Vanguard charitable Endowment)
  2. electronics have to measure similarly (by Amir), operate within normal performance envelope, and the blind test conducted and overseen by Amir, but videotaped for audit.
  3. And you have to pay Amir $1k if you lose, for his time and effort. (Obv. He can waive that if he wants).
I’ve offered smaller amounts directly to the taker, and other have offered to chip in. But that would take some coordinating, and more people to Ok the terms.

Edit: Oh, I forgot, Alan Shaw of Harbeth offered a pair of speakers. But he will have to agree to terms as well. At any rate, if you are serious there’s clearly more around.

Sounds interesting, a few question for the rules.

1. What's a USB stick DAC? The DAC itself plug into USB port and output is also on the stick itself and no external power allowed?

2. I guess you will be picking the USB stick DAC and the other person gets to pick the high end DAC. What about everything else, the digital source, the physical source(player/PC), the IC, the pre amp+power amp/headphone amp, headphone/speaker? I

3. electronics have to measure similarly (by Amir), what electronics? Everything else or include the DAC? If include the DAC, I don't think it works, the best DAC by Amir's measurement is Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro MQA,(yes it's only 2k not 15k) but there is no $100 USB stick measures similarly.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Sounds interesting, a few question for the rules.

1. What's a USB stick DAC? The DAC itself plug into USB port and output is also on the stick itself and no external power allowed?

2. I guess you will be picking the USB stick DAC and the other person gets to pick the high end DAC. What about everything else, the digital source, the physical source(player/PC), the IC, the pre amp+power amp/headphone amp, headphone/speaker? I

3. electronics have to measure similarly (by Amir), what electronics? Everything else or include the DAC? If include the DAC, I don't think it works, the best DAC by Amir's measurement is Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro MQA,(yes it's only 2k not 15k) but there is no $100 USB stick measures similarly.
Where is this post from?

mocenigo

Major Contributor

Maybe they upgrade them. To sell refurbished stuff, Amazon often gets kits from manufacturers to repackage, update, etc...

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Maybe they upgrade them. To sell refurbished stuff, Amazon often gets kits from manufacturers to repackage, update, etc...
Maybe... I tried two Topping products from Amazon and the two where not working. One remote and the other... Was smelling as burnt components. That's why I went to SMSL, it was ok, and then Sabaj.

Megatronic

Hello. its possible to make combo with d5 and smsl sp200? Will this option be much better than the d5 amplifier?

Top Bottom