• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

conuss

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor

conuss

While it's sold as a cable for SPDIF its construction makes it a better choice than most for single ended analog connections. See the link I posted earlier for the technical explanation.
The interest was specifically in the coax version of the cable and my question was why not USB?

Veri

Master Contributor
Are you not going to use via USB? ..
The interest was specifically in the coax version of the cable and my question was why not USB?

I believe we're talking about different things? @odyo asked for good RCA cables. Most of us are using USB for digital connection yes. RCA is for the analog output. The confusion is that coaxical cable can be used for both analog and digital connection.. hence the "pair", for L/R.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Illtrick
Please tell me which power amplifier you have? Is there noticeable degradation of sound at lower than average levels due to loss of bitness? Because a serviceable pre-amplifier and passive volume control would not allow this.

Are you not going to use via USB? ..

What do you mean ? I can't connect dac and amp with usb cable. Usb for pc.

odyo

It looks like the right cable - remember to buy a pair!

While it's sold as a cable for SPDIF its construction makes it a better choice than most for single ended analog connections. See the link I posted earlier for the technical explanation.

Thanks! It says ''digital coaxial s/pdif cable. What is the difference with these ? Some cables are only ''RCA'' some of them like this Mogami digital coaxial s/pdif cable and it states the ohm value. I don't see ohm spec on normal rca cables.

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks! It says ''digital coaxial s/pdif cable. What is the difference with these ? Some cables are only ''RCA'' some of them like this Mogami digital coaxial s/pdif cable and it states the ohm value. I don't see ohm spec on normal rca cables.
Most RCA cables are 50 ohm. which is 'fine'. The coaxical ones are made to closer match 75 ohm digital spec. These cables tend to be of higher quality. just note that at short lengths this probably all won't matter at all! but if you want a pair to set and forget, I'd personally buy high spec ones?

conuss

I believe we're talking about different things? @odyo asked for good RCA cables. Most of us are using USB for digital connection yes. RCA is for the analog output. The confusion is that coaxical cable can be used for both analog and digital connection.. hence the "pair", for L/R.
What do you mean ? I can't connect dac and amp with usb cable. Usb for pc.
Where does it follow that the question was to connect the DAC-amplifier? The question was specifically about the coaxial version of the cable. And this version connects the PC-DAC.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Where does it follow that the question was to connect the DAC-amplifier? The question was specifically about the coaxial version of the cable. And this version connects the PC-DAC.
The question originated in post #778 explicitly about connection from E30 to amp. The cable in question is sold as a coaxial SPDIF cable, but is also a good choice for analog connections for the reasons explained in the post I linked to.

odyo

Good catch - I searched on 2964 and the only pair came with the more expensive Neutrik phonos. The 2965 is a dual version of the 2964:
http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/patch/
Wow thank you. That's significantly cheaper. I'm super ignorant about cables. What 75 ohm and 65pf/m means here ? Also there is no mentioning of EMI, RFI protection. I will use these cables near my monitor, active speakers and wifi antenna.

Veri

Master Contributor
Wow thank you. That's significantly cheaper. I'm super ignorant about cables. What 75 ohm and 65pf/m means here ? Also there is no mentioning of EMI, RFI protection. I will use these cables near my monitor, active speakers and wifi antenna.
It's mogami, it has very good shielding and RFI protection. 65pf/m is the capacitance, lower is better. You can get cheaper non-mogami of course if you want. We just linked some 'HQ' ones. For XLR cables it matters less... RCA can more easily pick up noise and hum.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The characteristic impedance (75 ohm in this case) is important for radio frequency applications such as digital audio, video signals, old coaxial computer networks etc. It doesn't matter at audio frequencies, which is why you don't usually see it specified for analog audio cables.

We're getting super off topic for this thread though - I suggest starting a new thread if you want to know more about cables, and what properties make them good or bad for specific applications.

conuss

The question originated in post #778 explicitly about connection from E30 to amp. The cable in question is sold as a coaxial SPDIF cable, but is also a good choice for analog connections for the reasons explained in the post I linked to.
Sorry, missed this, it was two pages ago. For analog connection, a good antenna cable CAVEL DG 113 is better in every way. Solder a good RCA, and aesthetics will be added.

Veri

Master Contributor
Sorry, missed this, it was two pages ago. For analog connection, a good antenna cable CAVEL DG 113 is better in every way. Solder a good RCA, and aesthetics will be added.
Maybe. But Mogami RCA cables are really easy to acquire world-wide :) manually soldering antenna cable, less so.
Anyway, best to stop off-topic cable discussion in this DAC thread.

conuss

Somewhere here there was concern about the harmful effects of a nearby digital amplifier, but without facts. I plan E30 from above AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S125NC. Is it REALLY worried?..

odyo

It's mogami, it has very good shielding and RFI protection. 65pf/m is the capacitance, lower is better. You can get cheaper non-mogami of course if you want. We just linked some 'HQ' ones. For XLR cables it matters less... RCA can more easily pick up noise and hum.
The characteristic impedance (75 ohm in this case) is important for radio frequency applications such as digital audio, video signals, old coaxial computer networks etc. It doesn't matter at audio frequencies, which is why you don't usually see it specified for analog audio cables.

We're getting super off topic for this thread though - I suggest starting a new thread if you want to know more about cables, and what properties make them good or bad for specific applications.

Alright thank you for help.

Top Bottom