• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

affordable USB-C headphone dongle for Samsung S20+ ?

zingg

Hi looking for advice for for a headphone adaptor for a Samsung S20+, I have a set of 1More triple-driver in-ear phones, as well as some cheaper ones, I want to use with it. Would like to stay under 20, if there's something decent. Most of the time I'm not in a quiet environment, and if things get back to normal, I'll be on the train a lot, so I'm wondering about something like this CLIPTHAT adapter that claims active noise cancellation and uses the RealTek DAC ALC4042 https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0832HHR1J/

Other recommendations would be welcome, either for particular products or just look for these chipsets or whether 24bit DACs will be better than 32bit at this price range, stay away from ANC, etc.

Thanks!

Asylum Seeker

$1200 for that phone and no crummy headphone jack. :facepalm: And now you want to spend $20 on a dongle for the $1200 phone? :facepalm::facepalm:

I'd bypass all these dongles and spring for a Fiio BTR3K or Shanling UP2 DAC/AMP/BT Receiver.

Last edited:

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
$1200 for that phone and no crummy headphone jack. :facepalm: And now you want to spend $20 on a dongle for the $1200 phone? :facepalm::facepalm:

I'd bypass all these dongles and spring for a Fiio BTR3K or Shanling UP2 DAC/AMP/BT Receiver.
Well, Iphone is expensive and has a quite good and cheap dongle.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Only deacent one around 25$ is Meizu non Pro USB dongle but consider either TempoTec Sonata HD Pro or Meizu Pro rather for around 43$. The Apple dongle is great one for 9$ but it does not last long and has problems regarding output volume on some Android phones.

Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

Unfortunetaly that will be less and less common.
In the first four months of 2020 alone, there have been 546 smartphones released. Of those 442 carry headphone jacks.
Source: GSMArena database

I love my 2018-release, Android 10 Huawei Mate 20X with its 7.2" OLED screen, 5000mAH battery, great cameras, best-in-class dual speakers with Atmos, flagship processor and build, and pristine headphone jack output. You can now get one for about $600. There is still no phone in 2020 that will move me away from it. Samsung, Schmamsung...

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Plenty of capable Android phones with headphone jacks still.

My Samsung Galaxy A50 has arrived. It has a headphone jack. One of the main reasons I purchased it as well as it being an OK all-rounder for an everyman price.

But if you need a dongle ……………….. .

Last edited:

Asylum Seeker

I've been eyeing a A71 (about $375 here) as a second, spare set but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Mid-tier or past Flagships is where value lies.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I've been eyeing a A71 (about $375 here) as a second, spare set but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Mid-tier or past Flagships is where value lies.

I purchased the A50 because respected on line comparison sites showed the A51 was a cost-cutting downgrade but more expensive. The A50 on run-out was $AU200 less than the 'new' A51. Downside, one OS upgrade behind.
Check for the A71.

The biggest negative for the A series is the inferior dust and water resistance compared to the S series - not an issue for me.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor

I found that most past flagship deals came with much reduced and conditional seller warranties rather than the 2 year Samsung one. Refurbished or grey market usually. The hastle of dealing with warranty claims with such internet sellers led me to buy an authorised(for my market) and suitable Samsung lower tier runout product.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I bought Sony XZ1 for around 200$ last year and I do use portable DAC with it, good thing is it has 32 volume steps. Last recommendation from me whose to a friend for it's wife the Huawei Nova 5T for a little less than 300€, she wanted a one with a "good camera".

amanieux

Only deacent one around 25$ is Meizu non Pro USB dongle but consider either TempoTec Sonata HD Pro or Meizu Pro rather for around 43$. The Apple dongle is great one for 9$ but it does not last long and has problems regarding output volume on some Android phones.
be aware that android manages usb audio poorly, you will have to buy a $7 dedicated bit direct audio app to benefit from all possibilities of your usb dac but remember audio stack will be differently handled in all other apps anyway (youtube, spotify...) : different volume slider , resampling to 16bit 44khz.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
be aware that android manages usb audio poorly, you will have to buy a $7 dedicated bit direct audio app to benefit from all possibilities of your usb dac but remember audio stack will be differently handled in all other apps anyway (youtube, spotify...) : different volume slider , resampling to 16bit 44khz.
Seams you have problematic phone (there are three paths of android_mixer) & don't worry I bought DAC with volume control's and normal steps. Not all apps are paid! HiBymusic is for instance free (& in my case also really dedicated for additional USB A input & cetera).

jae

Major Contributor

Does root + airnur narsil not fix a bunch of those issues?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Does root + airnur narsil not fix a bunch of those issues?
Root & normal develop could but buying a device with normal software is more preferred at least for me (long time XDA developer). So called "mods" can even brick things if not specifically implemented for your device.

amanieux

Seams you have problematic phone (there are three paths of android_mixer) & don't worry I bought DAC with volume control's and normal steps. Not all apps are paid! HiBymusic is for instance free (& in my case also really dedicated for additional USB A input & cetera).
it may be my sony phone that has a usb audio management problem, do you get the 100 volume steps promised by meizu hifi dac in hubymusic or in other apps with system audio such as youtube ?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
may be my sony phone that has a problem, do you get the 100 volume steps promised by meizu hifi dac in hubymusic or in other apps with system audio such as youtube ?
Nope I get far less volume steps (as advertised from Sony with Android USB driver) but I don't have nor use Meizu HiFi DAC, I use TempoTec Sonata iDSD which have adequate hardware volume control's (for mid sensitive EMI's) so I keep software one's at max (or two steps down)/locked. In HiBy I dialled down EQ amplification to match it to DSD volume. I use Chinese version of HibyMusic as they don't update it regularly on play store.

Last edited:

Luyil

If you're in Australia and have access to Samsung EPP/Education portals, you can get the Samsung S20 for around AU$800 (~US$520) after Rakuten cashback. Pretty sweet deal for a flagship, but we get the inferior exynos chip and not snapdragon.

Top Bottom