• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Devialet Expert 200 Amplifier, DAC and Streamer Review

QMuse

Major Contributor
One might, just, be able to formulate an argument postulating that an amplifier designed to reproduce music (with its need for 30dB less power at 10kHz than 100Hz) can perform better if the designer does not have to cater for the unnecessary provision of full power at 10kHz.

A dubious argument....

Yep, dubious.. at least for 2 reasons:

- this kind of compromise should be mentioned in the specs so potential customers can decide if they want to accept such compromise or not
- technical solutions involving such compromises are usually on the low price end of the market segment, not high end.

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I should have been clearer: The manufacturer might argue that his product sounds better the way it has been designed than it would, had full power bandwidth been the design objective.

QMuse

Major Contributor
I should have been clearer: The manufacturer might argue that his product sounds better the way it has been designed than it would, had full power bandwidth been the design objective.

Now that would be quite unique approach to amp design, wouldn't it?

Presenting such limitation as a benefit for SQ would also be a unique marketing point. I wonder how it would sell if that was the case, especially considering the price..

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that would be quite unique approach to amp design, wouldn't it?

Presenting such limitation as a benefit for SQ would also be a unique marketing point. I wonder how it would sell if that was the case, especially considering the price..
There would a be a uproar and calls for heads to roll.... :D

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Presenting such limitation as a benefit for SQ would also be a unique marketing point...
“The wider you open the window, the more sh*t flies in” has long been a wise maxim when it comes to audio design. Typically, professional equipment is designed to limit its bandwidth to that necessary to accomplish the job. Why should the same idea not apply here? Restricting the power to that necessary for the job [the job of reproducing music, not passing power bandwidth tests] might, arguably, be the basis of a better approach.

The only reason for posting, indeed signing up, in the first place was because I cannot understand the point of reviewing an old version of a music system that was designed to be modular and upgradeable, before he blew it up (which takes some doing). The only reason for buying a Devialet 200 would be to pay about £2,500 and upgrade it to a 220 Pro for £3,000 and save £1,500 against the cost of a new 220 Pro, which makes sense. Saying it costs $10,000 (£8,000) is just plain misleading.

I may have one, I'd happily swap it for a device that sounds as good, has two programmable phono inputs, Roon and auto-detect. Any suggestions?

you are very spot on. This review is unprofessionally done. And if you read all the posts you can easily tell he has setup a team of people or multiple account to lead the discussion. If you say anything bad, one or more of the their account will just pop up and attack you. You will see it immediately after I post this one.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
“The wider you open the window, the more sh*t flies in” has long been a wise maxim when it comes to audio design. Typically, professional equipment is designed to limit its bandwidth to that necessary to accomplish the job. Why should the same idea not apply here? Restricting the power to that necessary for the job [the job of reproducing music, not passing power bandwidth tests] might, arguably, be the basis of a better approach.
You propose full computer control over all frequency response and frequency range of the amplification too? Intentional frequency and power limiting and cutting out of that considered unnecessary. That sounds like insanity in today's marketplace and audio world.

QMuse

Major Contributor

Are you saying that all amps should be designed to have less power at HF as that would benefit SQ? That is simply not true as today it's not a problem to design and build an amplifier that will have cosntant power at all freqs.

Would you, following the same logic design amps to have THD no lower than 0.01% as that is not necessary?

Once again I remind you that such designs are characteristic for low end products, not high end. High end products should perform in a stellar way without any compromise.

QMuse

Major Contributor
you are very spot on. This review is unprofessionally done. And if you read all the posts you can easily tell he has setup a team of people or multiple account to lead the discussion. If you say anything bad, one or more of the their account will just pop up and attack you. You will see it immediately after I post this one.

Or maybe Devialet is trying to do damage control via accounts like yours, conviniently opened 7th April?

Pathetic.. :facepalm:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You propose full computer control over all frequency response and frequency range of the amplification too? Intentional frequency and power limiting and cutting out of that considered unnecessary. That sounds like insanity in today's marketplace and audio world.

To fit it all in that teeny box, there had to be some significant tradeoffs made. If it has zero audible impact in real world use, that's not an irrational choice.

Do you think you are helping Devialet?

QMuse

Major Contributor
To fit it all in that teeny box, there had to be some significant tradeoffs made. If it has zero audible impact in real world use, that's not an irrational choice.

It is not irrational, for a $200 product. But for a $10,000 product?

Let me try the car analogy: when I'm buying Honda Accord I'm willing to accept some compromises regarding top speed, curve handling etc., but when I'm buying Porsche I'm definitey not willing to accept any compromises. It's a high end car with adequate price and I'm expecting it to bloody perform accordingly. ;)

QMuse

Major Contributor
Let me re-post this from Devialet Expert 140 Pro page (so the same product tested by Stereophile's John Atkinson):

Expert Pro is the world’s most advanced audiophile system, meant for music lovers in search of a refined and emotional listening experience. Designed to replace traditional Hi-Fi systems, Expert Pro delivers all the core elements of playback – preamp, amp, DAC, streamer, phono stage – in a single and ultra-compact unit. By rethinking sound reproduction at every turn, Devialet engineers have been able to achieve the best performance ever measured, at all power levels.

LOLZ - I rest my case with this post. :D

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It is not irrational, for a $200 product. But for a $10,000 product?

Don't get me wrong... Not disagreeing in the slightest...just trying to stretch my brain to figure out whether it is more likely to be a conscious design choice or an oversight/error. If a choice, I'd love as much of an explanation as I could understand.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
This is much correct, many faker on internet say bad things at truth tellers . Amira pays them to chase and say immortal things with millions made from review of lies.

Just wait and you will see many think this miss saying and I'm not good thinking .

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
*My functionalist view also covers things like...cars...
I always wondered about the market for the Arial Atom? Let's face it, who needs all those fancy 'extras' like windscreens and power windows (or any windows) when the bottom line is the need for speed!
:) :facepalm:

arial.jpg

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me re-post this from Devialet Expert 140 Pro page (so the same product tested by Stereophile's John Atkinson):

Expert Pro is the world’s most advanced audiophile system, meant for music lovers in search of a refined and emotional listening experience. Designed to replace traditional Hi-Fi systems, Expert Pro delivers all the core elements of playback – preamp, amp, DAC, streamer, phono stage – in a single and ultra-compact unit. By rethinking sound reproduction at every turn, Devialet engineers have been able to achieve the best performance ever measured, at all power levels.

LOLZ - I rest my case with this post. :D

Can I nitpick? {Please :facepalm:)... Admitting that indeed they achieve the best performance at all power level (Not true but ...; note they didn't say at "all audible frequencies" :(
The product reviewed by Amir, who reported the flaw and Atkinsonm who sidestepped it, is underwhelming ...