• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8C Quasi-Anechoic Spinorama and Measurements

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My followup on the Dutch & Dutch 8c is now reprinted on the Stereophile website: https://www.stereophile.com/content...e-loudspeaker-system-john-atkinson-april-2020

Note that fig.1 was omitted from the print version due to lack of space. Note also that fig.3 compares the spatially averaged in-room response of the REW-corrected 8cs with that of the uncorrected KEF LS50s. Having just read Amir's review of the LS50 on ASR, I think this graph and my following comments correlate nicely with Amir's analysis of the KEF's tonal balance.

John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile
Excellent follow-up, thank you. I would still like to see you comment about how you liked the sound relative to the Mino and Magico. :)
Especially the Mino since that one seems to have quite wide dispersion compared to most others.

D

Deleted member 14468

It's interesting to see all the measurements of the Dutch & Dutch 8c loudspeaker, including ours. I believe we were the first to measure them and I've been quite taken with the design since -- in fact, so much so that we flew to The Netherlands in December to shoot a video there. We just published it today. Might give you even more insight into this unique company. Enjoy!

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm just not convinced that any amount of DSP can give me the same sort of sound as a 15 inch woofer can.
I don't think anyone claimed such a thing??
What the 8c can do which a single woofer cannot is get rid of the some nasty SBIR dips in your listening position, I had the luck to listen and measure them at a friend, really nice speakers but of course also nothing "out of this world" compared to other good monitors.

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I still want to hear these speakers... I'm just not convinced that any amount of DSP can give me the same sort of sound as a 15 inch woofer can. And I am not motivated enough to travel to Quebec to audition them. No dealers for these speakers in the Toronto area which is a shame.

What do you mean by "same sort of sound"? What does a 15" woofer sound like?

D

Deleted member 14468

Some have...

I find it odd that many people make claims such as the 15" driver that have little to do with anything. The point is that the 8c has incredibly deep bass for its cabinet size. Active allows designers to break some rules. That's what matters the most. With that in mind, people should just listen to it and make their judgement on what they're hearing, not what some other driver may or may not do.

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

Jon AA

Forum Donor
Good to see you here, Doug. Soundstage! has been a valuable repository of measurements for we speaker geeks for a long time.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I do not have any preconceived notions about this speaker. I am not attacking it nor discounting the merits of things it does well. You do not have to sell me on it. I have been very keen on acquiring a pair as part of a major setup change for my bedroom setup ever since I read Kal Rubinson's review for them in Stereophile last year. I am frustrated I have not had a chance to audition it in the last few years.

D

Deleted member 14468

Good to see you here, Doug. Soundstage! has been a valuable repository of measurements for we speaker geeks for a long time.

Glad to hear it. We try.

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I find it odd that many people make claims such as the 15" driver that have little to do with anything.

Except maybe to them, in their application.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know more about the amplifiers in the 8c? Class D, 3 of them per channel, active cooling when needed, ok. But is it NCore, Pascal, ICEpower, or in house developed?

Edit: found it in the 6moons review. They use Pascal S-PRO2 modules. And DAC is a TI PCM4104 running 48kHz.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14468

Interpreting might be a bit grand for what I was doing, I was really just observing how different they were. If the predicted in room response was the same between 2 different speakers, but they got there in different ways, would they sound the same size?

If I understand you correctly, what you're saying is if they both sum the same at the listening position, would they sound the same even if their on- and off-axis responses differed? If that is correct, to me the answer is "no."

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you! It is very hard to toe the line between a subjective review for the masses and objective impressions for the data lovers - especially when you don't even write for an audio-specific site - so this particular review took several rewrites(it was originally a good 1000 words longer!). Hopefully there's enough useful there for a wide audience.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I felt a nice balance of "CNET style" explanation while also adding some advanced concepts and measurements. Congrats, imo, very nicely written.

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In case anyone is interested in what the individual drivers are doing, had some leftover data (not level matched):
8c Drivers.png

Also kind of interesting to see how the response changes with distance - you can see the waveguide at work. Driver integration already looks good at just 1 foot so no concerns about nearfield listening.

8c tweeter.png

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In case anyone is interested in what the individual drivers are doing, had some leftover data (not level matched):
View attachment 57340

Also kind of interesting to see how the response changes with distance - you can see the waveguide at work. Driver integration already looks good at just 1 foot so no concerns about nearfield listening.

View attachment 57341
Do the speakers allow you to turn off the other drivers to do these measurements?

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do the speakers allow you to turn off the other drivers to do these measurements?

No, but for the nearfield measurements, the relative volume of the measured driver is far higher than the other ones so as to make their impact minimal.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, but for the nearfield measurements, the relative volume of the measured driver is far higher than the other ones so as to make their impact minimal.
That explains the weird roll off behaviour after the units have largely rolled off.

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I learned yesterday that D&D has actually just started selling a 'Studio' version of the 8c, or is planning to soon. It won't support Roon/Streaming and abandons real oak wood for MDF, but adds M10 flypoints for more mounting options.

Most importantly, it's a fair bit cheaper, at $9750 a pair instead of $12,500.

Unsurprisingly, it just comes in black:

86969486_1393841474130474_2316012203280433152_n.jpg

D&D says it should be acoustically identical. Makes it a fair bit more competitive price-wise and gets under that $10K mental barrier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom