• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent read. How come the panther didn't hit the ace @amirm? :p
If I recall:
The golf swing is for excellent products by American [non-European] brands.
The soccer ball is for excellent products by non-American [European] brands.

Last edited:

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If I recall:
The golf swing is for excellent products by American brands.
The soccer ball is for excellent products by non-American brands.
I don't think so as Topping gets it all the time ;-)

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Friend images of this speaker are easily found all over the web already. You can even go to the ELAC website. Just saying, not trying to be mean here.
OK, but Amir has often shown photos of the backs of other speakers (which can also be found elsewhere) and commented on the quality of the terminals.

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
A amplifier capable of driving a speaker at 4 Ohms speaker impedance. Lower is better. Some amps are capable of 2 Ohms. They are usually labelled as, "High current." A quick check of the rear panel of the amp will show if they specify it for driving 4 Ohms speakers.
4 Ohm output = 2x 8 Ohm?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I was feeling good until I noticed the size. For my application (hang on a wall) they are too tall and too deep. Looking for something more in the 11" tall/8" deep range. Will be using subs so can give up a little bottom end. The search continues. Any (passive) suggestions?
Seems like an LS3/5a-type would suit?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Reactions: wje

tuga

Major Contributor
Thanks another great acoustic review :cool: because that anechoic response of DBR-62 seems to perform so exelent to your ears in your room suggest because their anechoic performance is some related try on F35 into same position with one PEQ +3dB/Q0,5/@100Hz as seen below :)...
View attachment 55747

Nice BBC dip in-room too.

wje

Forum Donor
The ELAC UB5 appears very similar to the Pioneer that scored very poorly. (although professional reviews of that 3 way pioneer were pretty solid)
I am interested though in whether or not UB5 measures well here. It may in fact not be the "same" as the pioneer and I am curious how a 3 way and 2 way at the same price from the same designer compare here.

Yes, good points made. At the moment, I'm splitting my use between the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 and the Elac B6.2 and was looking to move up in the Elac range. Being the Debut Reference is priced similar to the UB5, I was interested in comparing the two. Ironically, Best Buy has the UB5 "Slim" version in the Magnolia showroom, but they don't have it in the listening room. My guess is that they don't want to have an $850 speaker that compares or betters their $1,100 - $1,900 bookshelf speakers that are on display. :cool::p

DSJR

Major Contributor
Easily found at actual hi-fi dealers for £499. ;-)

Edit: Mr Savage beat me to it!

Ah ok - I don't get out very far and products like this aren't really what the local dealer wants to sell (they have Q Acoustics though).

mi-fu

Forum Donor
It did not. Had a nice, large image.

wow. that is excellent. thanks amir!

do you have any recommendation of amp with matching price/performance for this speaker?

mi-fu

Forum Donor
https://www.audioaffair.co.uk › elac...
Web results
Elac Debut Reference DBR62 Speakers (Pair) at Audio Affair

£499.00.

Can't argue with that though I'd like some amps inside the box and a little DSP magic to perfect performance. Surly that would not push the bom up too much and offer even better value .

Btw has anyone ever thought of putting a bypass on a active speaker so it could be used as a passive?

I know it sounds bonkers but some audiophiles might like it

Agree that an active speaker with DSP function would be nice. But DBR62 is hard to resist with its price tag and performance :D:D

Time to replace your broken 705p? :p

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
https://www.audioaffair.co.uk › elac...
Web results
Elac Debut Reference DBR62 Speakers (Pair) at Audio Affair

£499.00.

Can't argue with that though I'd like some amps inside the box and a little DSP magic to perfect performance. Surly that would not push the bom up too much and offer even better value .

Btw has anyone ever thought of putting a bypass on a active speaker so it could be used as a passive?

I know it sounds bonkers but some audiophiles might like it
You would need to design a passive crossover. Makes little sense.
Only if the drivers and box were excellent and the amps were total crap or broken.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
4 Ohm output = 2x 8 Ohm?
If the rear panel states 2x8Ohm then that is OK. If it does not then it probably is not OK for 2x8Ohm or even 1x4Ohm. Sometimes amplifier speakers A&B are wired in series. It's rare but I've seen it.

Top Bottom