• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beer thread, what you drinkin..

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Enjoyable beer from this Chicago based brewery..,
http://www.gooseisland.com
image.jpeg

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer what my son refers to as "old man's beer" traditional bitter. IMO it doesn't travel well so I usually sample the local brew, preferably straight out of the barrel in the cellar in a good pub, not many can do this.
I only drink bottled beer in an emergency :)
Wadworth's 6X is well kept in my local pub.
http://www.royaloakwantage.co.uk

My son prefers the sort of thing aged for 20 minutes in plastic vats.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I prefer what my son refers to as "old man's beer" traditional bitter. IMO it doesn't travel well so I usually sample the local brew, preferably straight out of the barrel in the cellar in a good pub, not many can do this.
I only drink bottled beer in an emergency :)
Wadworth's 6X is well kept in my local pub.

My son prefers the sort of thing aged for 20 minutes in plastic vats.
I really like 6x as well, the brewery maintain beautiful shirehorses too :)
image.jpeg

Real shire horses work hard and drink beer not like those Budweiser Clydesdales
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I really like 6x as well, the brewery maintain beautiful shirehorses too :)
They still deliver in the Devizes area by brewer's Dray I believe. I see the horses at agricultural shows, they are truly magnificent.
One of my father's best friends bred Shire horses. The Stallion was something to behold. The working males are geldings, of course and a real Shire stallion is B_I_G and hard to exercise.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
They still deliver in the Devizes area by brewer's Dray I believe. I see the horses at agricultural shows, they are truly magnificent.
One of my father's best friends bred Shire horses. The Stallion was something to behold. The working males are geldings, of course and a real Shire stallion is B_I_G and hard to exercise.
Your lucky to have that as your local, looking through their beer list I noticed the dark star brewery. One of my favourites and I'd certainly not complain if they served me their imperial stout straight out the barrel from the cellar .
https://www.darkstarbrewing.co.uk/beers

Oh and your local has a epic cider selection , rich's cider is one of if not my favourite cider ( 10 miles up the road from me)
http://www.richscider.co.uk
image.jpeg

I'm moving to your village..

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I know, I'm such a pedestrian when picking a beer for Beer Saturday.

Last night the bulk choice was Grolsch, $10.97 for 12.

278244011_0_640x640.jpg

fas42

Major Contributor
When you have beer, you're not far away from beer ads ...

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Yes the good folk at brewdog paid a visit to the marketing and advitising demons.
You could be right...
The impact of The End of History is a perfect conceptual marriage between art, taxidermy and craft brewing. The bottles are at once beautiful and disturbing – they disrupt conventions and break taboos, just like the beer they hold within them...

This 55% beer should be drank in small servings whilst exuding an endearing pseudo vigilance and reverence for Mr Stoat. This is to be enjoyed with a weather eye on the horizon for inflatable alcohol industry Nazis, judgemental washed up neo-prohibitionists or any grandiloquent, ostentatious foxes.

The End of History: The name derives from the famous work of philosopher Francis Fukuyama, this is to beer what democracy is to history. Fukuyama defined history as the evolution of the political system and traced this through the ages until we got the Western Democratic paradigm. For Fukuyama this was the end point of man’s political evolution and consequently the end of history. The beer is the last high abv beer we are going to brew, the end point of our research into how far the can push the boundaries of extreme brewing, the end of beer.
brewdog_taxidermy211_534.jpg

I drank rather too much of their Punk IPA at a local pub the other night.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
That must be why the British Household Cavalry uses Clydesdales as drum horses -- like good soldiers, they don't need to drink on the job to perform.
Nope, it's because they are mild mannered.

I love Clydesdales , just the Budweiser ones have never done a days work in their lives. Show pony's.

Oh and the wadsworth shires drink after the jobs done! It's the French (soldiers) that drink on the job.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
You could be right...

brewdog_taxidermy211_534.jpg

I drank rather too much of their Punk IPA at a local pub the other night.
I like the punk ipa, plus the local majestic wine ( sorry for swearing there) stock it so I can easily buy it. I think brewdog make tasty beer but the marketing is almost as bad as Devialet. I hate that kind of thing.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, it's a CAMRA pub.

@Thomas savage had comments about those earlier in thread... ;)

Yes and I think it has won best pub several times.
There is another pub in Wantage which had outstanding beers, some brewed by the owner, but he couldn't make a go of it and sold up eventually, I haven't been in since so don't know how it is now.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yes and I think it has won best pub several times.
There is another pub in Wantage which had outstanding beers, some brewed by the owner, but he couldn't make a go of it and sold up eventually, I haven't been in since so don't know how it is now.
That's a real shame, around ten years ago I got to know a local brewer who was starting out, his beers were fantastic but sadly after a few years he sold up and moved on. I don't know what the new owners did but the beer is tasteless now and a complete waste of time.

Though many folks like tasteless beer :confused:

Top Bottom