• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Edge of Tomorrow was the most jittered Cruise movie. He had a real problem with time jumping forward and back. Had a CD player that acted that way once. It would play 4 seconds, jump back 3 seconds and repeat jittering thru the track. No aliens involved with the CD player however. Sadly no Emily Blunt either.

xyvyx

Forum Donor
As far as I remember, I was the third replier (replyer ?) to the Richard Trussell post.

My reply is not visible in your screenshot.

Yeah, I'm surprised he left my response intact, although I tried to be non-combative.. he replied to my initial comment with a sort of non-answer, then, as expected, ignored my reply:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you clarify how the content of a file transferred using the SMB protocol from a server to a client would differ when using this switch vs. a conventional model?

The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel

3 weeks ago
The manufacturer explains it rather well: https://uptoneaudio.com/products/etherregen. I can assure you the improvement in sound quality is vast.

xyvyx
3 weeks ago
@The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel Actually, I saw no mention of SMB, ethernet frames or files.
The creator of the device managed to talk a great deal about the problems plaguing the transmission of music over ethernet without actually mentioning any of the underlying principals OF ethernet or the protocols involved.

Do you yourself understand ethernet frames & how CRCs work?
Do you understand how the protocols at higher layers like TCP & SMB work?
That the streaming applications accessing files across the network employ buffering?

Ethernet is NOT a perfect protocol... there are many ways interference & signal collision could impact the transmission of data. However, the engineers & IEEE took this into account when coming up with the standard!!
If any of the frames or packets are damaged or lost in-transit, they're re-sent automatically. The applications consuming this data are unaware; the transmission & error-checking are functions of the lower-level firmware and drivers. You need to understand that this works. That the internet, as you know it, would not function if this were not the case. There are plenty of OTHER things that can go wrong, but there are trillions of bytes being transmitted every second on the premise that files being sent from point A --> point B will arrive 100% intact. In the case of a digital audio file, that means 100% of the bits will be received perfectly.

If you want to confuse this with the concept of lossy streaming via UDP, that's an entirely different matter. A one-way broadcast of digital data (this is NOT TCP/IP) is prone to packet-loss/damage. And you see this every day if you watch satellite broadcast TV. Even cable/fiber internet TV is still just that... lossy, broadcast data. There is absolutely NOTHING a switch in the middle of a transmission of this kind can do to fix that...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I suspect that SuperDud is just trolling here - he does quite well selling these things with the advertising site he controls, Audiophool Stool.
The more we talk about it the better it gets for them.

Superdad

Audio Company
There are plenty of OTHER things that can go wrong, but there are trillions of bytes being transmitted every second on the premise that files being sent from point A --> point B will arrive 100% intact. In the case of a digital audio file, that means 100% of the bits will be received perfectly.

Wow. Clearly nobody here gets that we have said for years that it is not about the bits themselves but rather about transmission paths for common-mode leakage, ground-plane noise, and clock-threshold jitter getting through the DAC receiver chips and to the DAC clock input-pin.
We have spelled it out. We have shown how we deal with it. We have measured it. We will, when ready, publish some of those. But it won't matter to you flat-earthers. You are on the wrong side of history here people. :cool:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow. Clearly nobody here gets that we have said for years that it is not about the bits themselves but rather about transmission paths for common-mode leakage, ground-plane noise, and clock-threshold jitter getting through the DAC receiver chips and to the DAC clock input-pin.
We have spelled it out. We have shown how we deal with it. We have measured it. We will, when ready, publish some of those. But it won't matter to you flat-earthers. You are on the wrong side of history here people. :cool:
Publish those measurements. Basically put up. You've been playing this game of upcoming measurements for years now. And it is quite discourteous to call us flat earthers when you've provided squat on measurements. Provide the info, and see what happens before claiming you know what will happen. I'll say what I think will happen. You aren't going to provide the measurements. Prove me wrong. If you have them, post them right now today. What is the point of waiting?

Veri

Master Contributor
But it won't matter to you flat-earthers. You are on the wrong side of history here people. :cool:

That sounds both arrogant and narcissistic, wrong side of history, please... We're talking magical Ethernet switch for God's sake.
But yes, thanks for stopping by Superdad :rolleyes::rolleyes: still waiting on those measurements which you're refusing to share.

We have spelled it out. We have shown how we deal with it. We have measured it. We will, when ready, publish some of those.

Oh OK, they're "not ready", guess we'll take your word for it then.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

@Superdad

Oh we get it alright but you have still failed to show any of these problems getting through to the dac.

No you have NOT shown how your product eliminates these alleged problems.

Why on earth do you think linking to a picture of the PCB demonstrates your products effectiveness????? Thats just plain stupid.

Why do you think Swensons white paper demonstrates this is an actual problem to be solved????? Thats just plain stupid.

I can only conclude that you are stupid or that you think we are stupid and falling for your marketing patter.

PLEASE SHOW YOUR MEASUREMENTS OF THE ISSUE ON THE CLOCK AND DETAIL YOUR MEASUREMENT METHODOLOGY.

PLEASE SHOW HOW ADDING YOUR SWITCH INTO THE SAME TEST SET-UP ELIMINATES THE PROBLEM.

PLEASE THEN SHOW YOUR MEASUREMENTS OF THE PROBLEM MANIFESTING IN THE AUDIO OUTPUT OF A DAC.

PLEASE THEN SHOW HOW ADDING YOUR SWITCH INTO THE SAME TEST SET-UP ELIMINATES THE PROBLEM.

If you cannot do so then the truth is self evident. The product does not do anything useful or what you claim.

That you are simply a con merchant, extracting money from people by deceiving and lying to them. Preying upon their technical ignorance for financial gain.

Swenson just hides behind you because he is not technically able to justify and demonstrate any of the mechanisms he talks about.

Last edited:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I perfectly understand what kool-aid you are selling. You are stating that even if you were playing a file off of local storage, and at the same time transferring data, you have still compromised the audio. Your belief is this is strictly a layer 1 problem.

You haven't measured shit. I'm happy you have 1100 gullible flat earthers for customers. My $2000 to their $500 offer stands that in their setup make my Cisco SG200 switch perform just as transparently. It was $89 new.

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
That sounds both arrogant and narcissistic, wrong side of history, please... We're talking magical Ethernet switch for God's sake.
But yes, thanks for stopping by Superdad :rolleyes::rolleyes: still waiting on those measurements which you're refusing to share.

Oh OK, they're "not ready", guess we'll take your word for it then.

They havent measured it, he said this about the regen 5 years ago. @Superdad is lying.

D

Deleted member 65

You'll need to print the white paper for it to help with the shortage. Now if you print with the ethergen or whatever can you feel the smoothness in reduced jitter?

Not a ”White paper” as such. Here’s two printouts from an ethernet connected printer. One with & one without the ETHERregen in line with printer. Guess which is which.
Case closed I’d say, I’ll never print without ETHERregen again ... ;-)

1584016841701.png

Top Bottom