• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Favorite Drummers

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Just my own personal view, but I've always found people like Steve Gadd or Peter Erskine to be technically marvelous, but musically... sort of generic.

You hear Roy Haynes (for example) and you KNOW instantly that it's Roy Haynes.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn't going to reply since I am not so knowledgeable about drumming, but I am surprised Tom Ardolino hasn't been mentioned.

And Levon is not a favorite?

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just my own personal view, but I've always found people like Steve Gadd or Peter Erskine to be technically marvelous, but musically... sort of generic.
I don't like to diss on musicians, but I always felt specifically that Steve Gadd is overrated. Doesn't matter where I heard him, he just doesn't move me at all, I don't know why.

Twitch54

Carter Anthony Beauford

agreed Krusty, can't believe it took till post #35 for his name to come up !

as for 'Fluffy' saying Buddy Rich was the best Jazz drummer ever, that is debatable for sure (and I'm a Rich fan). I know quite a few Krupa fans that would argue his point. Besides, both Gene and Buddy were arguably best known for their Big Band work.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Terry Bozzio is mesmerizing when he does a solo surrounded by his wall of drums.

Yes, he was/is pretty good.
Give a listen to Hands with a Hammer from Frank Zappa's You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore vol. 3
Very good recording, too (originally recorded, according to FZ - according to something I once read - for quadraphonic!).

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Cool thread. jazz (contemporary): Carl Allen; jazz (historical) Max Roach; rock: Danny Carey

KR500

Gene Krupa
Buddy Rich
Joe Morello
The guy in the touring Artie Shaw tribute Orchestra in the late 90's
Charlie,Ringo, Ginger,
B.J. Wilson
Jon Hiseman
John Steele
Ric Lee
Reg Isadore until 75
John Palmer
Aynsley Dunbar
Elvin Jones
Buddy Miles
Al Jackson
Benny Benjamin

murraycamp

Forum Donor

bobbooo

Major Contributor
This guy ain't bad:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be repeated: Jon Hiseman. I saw him several times with Barbara Thompsons Paraphernalia and Colosseum. Here is a picture from 2007:

Jon_Hiseman.jpg

His drum solos were long and legendary. The first time I saw him performing a solo he played for about 15 minutes. At its end he played incredibly fast, and then - to the astonishment of everybody - he somehow activated a hidden switch and it sounded twice as fast. The public was roaring.

A singular highlight of his solos were the parallel rolls on bass and snare drums with moving speed (fast on snare and slow on bass -> slow on snare and fast on bass -> and back), see beginning at 4:35 in this video below. I asked him once during a break how much practice it took him to play this double roll. The short answer was: 10 years:eek:

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mitch Mitchell.

Top Bottom