• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introductions anyone?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Hi, my name is watchnerd, and I'm a recovering audiophile.

It started with my 'problem' in high school when I made moonshine in the woods (I grew up in a rural area full of redwood trees and pot farmers) to sell to my fellow students in order to fund more metal oxide tapes so I could tape Top 40 off the radio and use those to dub mix tapes, using a Sharp dual cassette boombox to get chicks.

e42de9aa7c8e30e63b65ee0068ca1000.jpg

$_1.JPG

When I figured out only the skankier chicks would trade favors for of the flesh for mix tapes, I switched from playing trombone in marching band to playing a Gibson Flying V electric bass in a rock / funk / jazz fusion band with my friends. Playing electric bass definitely got more booty in my pocket, but they weren't any less skanky, just more attractive.

12_Flying-V-Bass.jpg

In college, at first I was on a more righteous path. I majored in applied physics, with a senior thesis in digital signal processing. But I blew some of my scholarship money on a Denon receiver and dated a big-boobed tall girl for longer than I should have because she let me use her big ass 8" Yamaha speakers in my dorm room -- if I broke up with her, I'd have get new speakers...

I first got exposed to the hardcore stuff at The Audible Difference in Palo Alto, which was a short trip from my dorm room. This was the late 80's and customers would offer you some coke (rude not to share) if you popped by while they were listening to demos of Apogee Scintillas or Infinity IRS V systems. I could only afford copies of Stereophile and that stupid green CD Stoplight pen in the entire store. But I got to listen to a lot of nice gear at a young age and the sales guys were always helpful in indoctrinating a future addict / customer...

c999de1294ce886c104d445d324fdf64.jpg

I used to take my girlfriend to the library to "study", but it was really to either read copies of The Absolute Sound they had there or get some action in the aisles, whichever was on the menu. Sometimes both.

The first time I really got blown away by a speaker system was the Carver Amazing Loudspeaker. I put on the Telarc 1812 Overture recording, cranked it up, fast forwarded to the canon shots, smiled like a stupefied idiot, then got kicked out of the store.

89b936f55db6fb06c2fff240caf64c33.jpg

I took a year off college to intern for NASA at their Moffet Field lab (now Google-owned), build speakers from scratch, and tube amps. My first pair were 2-way floorstanders using a SEAS P17REX (can't believe I remember that model number) and cost me $200 in parts...

P17REX.jpg

...which I funded by having a 2nd job as a pizza delivery driver and learned the art of selling 'surplus' pizzas to stoners who had the munchies.

2056e7d36510ac3d510448b6ca52a9f27035568cca6d766b9f4d704d7da87e73_3.jpg

I then studied for a year at Kyoto University via an exchange program. Officially I was studying more physics, math, etc and Japanese. Unofficially, I was studying the Japanese high end scene with its horns and tubes, playing amateur night gigs in Japanese jazz clubs (this time with an acoustic bass), getting more girl action than I knew what to do with, scavenging electronic towns for recording gear, and making my first field recording using the magic of DAT (which I funded by giving paid "English lessons" to Japanese co-eds, paid for by daddy...).

29827077.jpg

1995-2002 was a blur, the Internet, got into software industry (started off doing network level packet decoding), lived in Santa Monica, Singapore, Japan again, Germany, Brazil, Mexico, Israel. Napster came along, and I partook and I inhaled. I was too mobile to have a sizeable rig, but I had some NHT Super Zeros and they were fucking awesome. Grunge happened.

6a00d83451b36c69e201bb0897db1b970d-800wi

Somehwhere in the midst of all this I saw Ray Charles and Dave Brubeck at the Hollywood bowl, Gary Burton and Chick Corea at UCLA, McCoy Tyner at The Jazz Bakery, and Seiji Ozawa at the Giant Golden Turd.

Asakusa%20Turd.0.jpg

2002, came back to the US, moved back to the SF Bay Area. Got my first pair of electrostats, used Martin Logan Sequels with SL3 panel upgrades. I still have them.

product_120060.jpg

Went to Burning Man for a couple of years. Sold my acoustic bass, bought a Fender Special Jazzmaster.

fender-jazzmaster-am-special-full-front-2.jpg

2004 started getting into open source and Linux and learning about computer-based audio by dealing with compression codecs and their kernel interaction. Got married that year. Bought my first set of Dynaudio powered monitors, the BM6A for my very first DAW.

9999-05806-2.jpg

2005-2007: Spent a lot time and money on hifi gear that didn't make a difference and I no longer have. Some Rotel stuff, some PSB speakers, various subwoofers. Nothing wrong with any of them, but they didn't really move the needle. Just wasted time and money. Wasted even more money on collecting SACD.

Super_Audio_CD_Logo.gif

2007-2009: The Lost Years, no recording, just work, marriage and World of Warcraft. Joined Head-fi, at first so I could get better sound while killing monsters online. I kid you not. I was a tauren shaman.

Got to level 80 and learned a lot about different headphones.

500x1000px-LL-cd7bb588_image.jpeg

2010-(until this year): Got involved in "peer to peer file sharing". Became an Elite Torrent Master. If you don't know what that is, you're better off not knowing.

2011: Got back into recording, started volunteering as an assistant recording engineer for the local symphony (and now several local jazz clubs). Spent almost nothing on hifi, blew thousands on microphones and interfaces, instead.

akg-c414xl2st_3.jpg

neumann008430.jpg

2012: Got a Tektronix MD0300 from a guy who lost all his money playing online poker. I met him at the cannabis dispensary. Paid $500 for it.

MDO3000-Mixed-Domain-Oscilloscope_0_0.jpg

2013: Got another pair of Martin Logans, their little 'budget oriented' Electromotion ESL

1.png

2014: Got into tube rolling. Holy christ was that a neurotic adventure, and pricey. I would have been better off spending the money on weed.

s-l300.jpg

Also got my end-game turntable that year:

hfc345_michell1.jpg

2015: Got my miniDSP OpenDRC-DI. Decided spending big money on speakers was beyond stupid until I solve for my room.

_mg_0842.jpg

2016:

Helped out on some awesome recordings from the SF Jazz Collective:

Starting making music Roon Bridge streamers using Linux and Raspberry Pi:

digiplus_pro-630x420.jpg

And for Christmas I just got a new Marshall bass amp:

mg30cfx-xlarge.jpg

So now it's time to go practice the 'Theme Song to Barney Miller' again. I'm still not as good as she is:

fas42

Major Contributor
Quite a story ...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Quite a story ...
Quite a story? He has raised the bar so high that we better go back and redo ours! :D Talking about a sheltered life I lived compared to him.

And the son of gun picked up the same scope I paid nearly $4,000 for $500. I am not sure he and I will be friends over that deal alone!

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Quite a story? He has raised the bar so high that we better go back and redo ours! :D Talking about a sheltered life I lived compared to him.

And the son of gun picked up the same scope I paid nearly $4,000 for $500. I am not sure he and I will be friends over that deal alone!

Well you already have an Audio Precision. Surely you can leave some measurement scraps for the masses.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
w'nerd

Love the story and the way you told it .... :D

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi folks, new member here! Norwegian chap. Been lurking for a while. I really like this forum. What I like here is the combination of objectivism and commitment to reason, AND at the same time the respect for subjective critical listening and a passion for music. Most audiophile forums drive me crazy because of the massive amount of sheer stupidity. While hydrogen.audio, for example, is so dry it becomes boring. This forum seems like a good compromise :)

Briefly about myself: I'm schizophrenic when it comes to music and hifi. Not in the clinical sense, of course. But still. My day job is to do research in social science. Hence my objectivism. But my big passion in life has always been music. I improvise on my piano every day, sing in a semi-professional choir, and write songs whenever I feel melancholic. And listen to music of course, at concerts and at home.

When listening or playing, I forget all about measurements or objective data, and I ALMOST start to believe in the magical qualities of cables and pixie dust. Not quite. But almost. But the objectivist in me usually wins out.

At the moment my system consists of the small active box speakers DM10 from AVI, which I listen to in the near field. They are insanely good, IMO, even though I'm skeptical of box speakers in general, and there are speakers which measure even better. They just sound - right. Voices and acoustic instruments sound like they're supposed to. That simple, and that difficult. By now I'm firmly convinced that passive speakers are the devil.

But they won't be my last speakers. What I miss is a more room filling sound, that doesn't lock me to the sweet spot. So I'm exploring as different options as multichannel, big horns, line array/CBT, and omnidirectional. We'll see what I end up with.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But they won't be my last speakers. What I miss is a more room filling sound, that doesn't lock me to the sweet spot. So I'm exploring as different options as multichannel, big horns, line array/CBT, and omnidirectional. We'll see what I end up with.
A warm welcome. We'll enjoy following the ride you have in front of you and will be happy to throw in some worthless $.02 now and then. ;)
Cent' Anni

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Hi folks, new member here! Norwegian chap. Been lurking for a while. I really like this forum. What I like here is the combination of objectivism and commitment to reason, AND at the same time the respect for subjective critical listening and a passion for music. Most audiophile forums drive me crazy because of the massive amount of sheer stupidity. While hydrogen.audio, for example, is so dry it becomes boring. This forum seems like a good compromise :)
Cheers!

Welcome!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Welcome to the forum! You fit our model of perfect membership, unlike a lot of other characters we have around here! :D I went to HA forum and almost got banned because I post measurements!

Look forward to seeing your posts in the future.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to the forum! You fit our model of perfect membership, unlike a lot of other characters we have around here! :D I went to HA forum and almost got banned because I post measurements!

Look forward to seeing your posts in the future.

Thanks! I didn't even dare to sign up as a member over at HA...

I will definitively start posting here. Now I just gotta finish up a report that is due over the weekend. Whenever I start writing on hifi forums, it's usually a sign that a deadline is approaching and that I'm procrastinating. So I need to log off. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Thanks! I didn't even dare to sign up as a member over at HA...

I will definitively start posting here. Now I just gotta finish up a report that is due over the weekend. Whenever I start writing on hifi forums, it's usually a sign that a deadline is approaching and that I'm procrastinating. So I need to log off. Thanks for the warm welcome!
Welcome, your avoidance mechanism is our gain :D

I encourage you to renegade on your Deadlines and post here instead:)

D

Deleted member 65

Hi, my name is watchnerd, and I'm a recovering audiophile.

It started with my 'problem' in high school when I made moonshine in the woods (I grew up in a rural area full of redwood trees and pot farmers) to sell to my fellow students in order to fund more metal oxide tapes so I could tape Top 40 off the radio and use those to dub mix tapes, using a Sharp dual cassette boombox to get chicks.

e42de9aa7c8e30e63b65ee0068ca1000.jpg

$_1.JPG

When I figured out only the skankier chicks would trade favors for of the flesh for mix tapes, I switched from playing trombone in marching band to playing a Gibson Flying V electric bass in a rock / funk / jazz fusion band with my friends. Playing electric bass definitely got more booty in my pocket, but they weren't any less skanky, just more attractive.

12_Flying-V-Bass.jpg

In college, at first I was on a more righteous path. I majored in applied physics, with a senior thesis in digital signal processing. But I blew some of my scholarship money on a Denon receiver and dated a big-boobed tall girl for longer than I should have because she let me use her big ass 8" Yamaha speakers in my dorm room -- if I broke up with her, I'd have get new speakers...

I first got exposed to the hardcore stuff at The Audible Difference in Palo Alto, which was a short trip from my dorm room. This was the late 80's and customers would offer you some coke (rude not to share) if you popped by while they were listening to demos of Apogee Scintillas or Infinity IRS V systems. I could only afford copies of Stereophile and that stupid green CD Stoplight pen in the entire store. But I got to listen to a lot of nice gear at a young age and the sales guys were always helpful in indoctrinating a future addict / customer...

c999de1294ce886c104d445d324fdf64.jpg

I used to take my girlfriend to the library to "study", but it was really to either read copies of The Absolute Sound they had there or get some action in the aisles, whichever was on the menu. Sometimes both.

The first time I really got blown away by a speaker system was the Carver Amazing Loudspeaker. I put on the Telarc 1812 Overture recording, cranked it up, fast forwarded to the canon shots, smiled like a stupefied idiot, then got kicked out of the store.

89b936f55db6fb06c2fff240caf64c33.jpg

I took a year off college to intern for NASA at their Moffet Field lab (now Google-owned), build speakers from scratch, and tube amps. My first pair were 2-way floorstanders using a SEAS P17REX (can't believe I remember that model number) and cost me $200 in parts...

P17REX.jpg

...which I funded by having a 2nd job as a pizza delivery driver and learned the art of selling 'surplus' pizzas to stoners who had the munchies.

2056e7d36510ac3d510448b6ca52a9f27035568cca6d766b9f4d704d7da87e73_3.jpg

I then studied for a year at Kyoto University via an exchange program. Officially I was studying more physics, math, etc and Japanese. Unofficially, I was studying the Japanese high end scene with its horns and tubes, playing amateur night gigs in Japanese jazz clubs (this time with an acoustic bass), getting more girl action than I knew what to do with, scavenging electronic towns for recording gear, and making my first field recording using the magic of DAT (which I funded by giving paid "English lessons" to Japanese co-eds, paid for by daddy...).

29827077.jpg

1995-2002 was a blur, the Internet, got into software industry (started off doing network level packet decoding), lived in Santa Monica, Singapore, Japan again, Germany, Brazil, Mexico, Israel. Napster came along, and I partook and I inhaled. I was too mobile to have a sizeable rig, but I had some NHT Super Zeros and they were fucking awesome. Grunge happened.

6a00d83451b36c69e201bb0897db1b970d-800wi

Somehwhere in the midst of all this I saw Ray Charles and Dave Brubeck at the Hollywood bowl, Gary Burton and Chick Corea at UCLA, McCoy Tyner at The Jazz Bakery, and Seiji Ozawa at the Giant Golden Turd.

Asakusa%20Turd.0.jpg

2002, came back to the US, moved back to the SF Bay Area. Got my first pair of electrostats, used Martin Logan Sequels with SL3 panel upgrades. I still have them.

product_120060.jpg

Went to Burning Man for a couple of years. Sold my acoustic bass, bought a Fender Special Jazzmaster.

fender-jazzmaster-am-special-full-front-2.jpg

2004 started getting into open source and Linux and learning about computer-based audio by dealing with compression codecs and their kernel interaction. Got married that year. Bought my first set of Dynaudio powered monitors, the BM6A for my very first DAW.

9999-05806-2.jpg

2005-2007: Spent a lot time and money on hifi gear that didn't make a difference and I no longer have. Some Rotel stuff, some PSB speakers, various subwoofers. Nothing wrong with any of them, but they didn't really move the needle. Just wasted time and money. Wasted even more money on collecting SACD.

Super_Audio_CD_Logo.gif

2007-2009: The Lost Years, no recording, just work, marriage and World of Warcraft. Joined Head-fi, at first so I could get better sound while killing monsters online. I kid you not. I was a tauren shaman.

Got to level 80 and learned a lot about different headphones.

500x1000px-LL-cd7bb588_image.jpeg

2010-(until this year): Got involved in "peer to peer file sharing". Became an Elite Torrent Master. If you don't know what that is, you're better off not knowing.

2011: Got back into recording, started volunteering as an assistant recording engineer for the local symphony (and now several local jazz clubs). Spent almost nothing on hifi, blew thousands on microphones and interfaces, instead.

akg-c414xl2st_3.jpg

neumann008430.jpg

2012: Got a Tektronix MD0300 from a guy who lost all his money playing online poker. I met him at the cannabis dispensary. Paid $500 for it.

MDO3000-Mixed-Domain-Oscilloscope_0_0.jpg

2013: Got another pair of Martin Logans, their little 'budget oriented' Electromotion ESL

1.png

2014: Got into tube rolling. Holy christ was that a neurotic adventure, and pricey. I would have been better off spending the money on weed.

s-l300.jpg

Also got my end-game turntable that year:

hfc345_michell1.jpg

2015: Got my miniDSP OpenDRC-DI. Decided spending big money on speakers was beyond stupid until I solve for my room.

_mg_0842.jpg

2016:

Helped out on some awesome recordings from the SF Jazz Collective:

Starting making music Roon Bridge streamers using Linux and Raspberry Pi:

digiplus_pro-630x420.jpg

And for Christmas I just got a new Marshall bass amp:

mg30cfx-xlarge.jpg

So now it's time to go practice the 'Theme Song to Barney Miller' again. I'm still not as good as she is:

Wonderful story, love it! Just realized I wont be able to write mine ... ;-)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I am so very glad I never got around to posting my story. Watchnerd has shamed me to silence. Even though we have a lot of overlap (though not the weed, world travels, or hot chicks, and I play trumpet not guitar though one son plays trombone; maybe not so much after all). And I am deep green with envy over that DSO...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Tried it once or twice, never did anything for me, and when I read the studies showing how it affected memory and such I just never tried again. Watching the last days of my aunt as she suffered from years of smoking was a help. Seemed like a bad way to go. Alcohol, OTOH, well, getting free booze after hours for being a chiller had its drawbacks... Being asked at 24 or 25 (it's all a blur) if I wanted to reach 30, I had to think about it, but finally gave it up.

Top Bottom