• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

Blur

Forum Donor
The SMSL SP200 THX is a wonderful amp and whether you are just getting started or want to upgrade your sound quality this is a great place to land. I love the form factor, feel, and ease of turning it on and switching gain settings / inputs. These connections are on the front! It has so much power and such a wonderfully quiet background. I do find it fatiguing for some reason even with my test tracks so if you find yourself sensitive to treble you may want to give it a listen before you buy it.

For some reason I find really powerful amps like this fatiguing and this one reminds of the the GS-X mk2 from HeadAmp which I also find fatiguing. Something to do with the frequency response and power and how my ear shape amplifies certain frequencies. The Schiit Magni 3 and HeadRoom BUDA for example do not cause fatigue.

I cannot recommend this amp enough!

MRphotography

The SMSL SP200 THX is a wonderful amp and whether you are just getting started or want to upgrade your sound quality this is a great place to land. I love the form factor, feel, and ease of turning it on and switching gain settings / inputs. These connections are on the front! It has so much power and such a wonderfully quiet background. I do find it fatiguing for some reason even with my test tracks so if you find yourself sensitive to treble you may want to give it a listen before you buy it.

For some reason I find really powerful amps like this fatiguing and this one reminds of the the GS-X mk2 from HeadAmp which I also find fatiguing. Something to do with the frequency response and power and how my ear shape amplifies certain frequencies. The Schiit Magni 3 and HeadRoom BUDA for example do not cause fatigue.

I cannot recommend this amp enough!

I agree other than the couple issues with the volume control on it, I love it. I actually think it's not so much that it is a fatiguing amp more so if the tracks you play on it aren't recorded or mastered well it shows every little issue. I ordered a Schiit Loki in order to play with certain tracks to improve my listening preference for my different headphones.

KNUPAC

i'm beginning to feel the buyer's remorse, not because of the issue with this amp but the setup is beginning to feel like an overkill...

Attachments

• EEB4D5D3-6972-461E-B68F-601D467AB18A.jpeg
    EEB4D5D3-6972-461E-B68F-601D467AB18A.jpeg
    463.1 KB · Views: 391

MRphotography

i'm beginning to feel the buyer's remorse, not because of the issue with this amp but the setup is beginning to feel like an overkill...

Only you know that, but honestly if it wasn't for the weird volume nob stuff and if it had a few more inputs/outputs on the back it would be perfect. I feel it's incredible sounding with the right pair of headphones and DAC.

raif71

Major Contributor
Is that the Fiio K5 Pro I see there? Are you using it as a DAC to feed the sp200?

Blur

Forum Donor
What headphones are you using most of the time. I prefer an up-front sound which is part of the problem for sure. I run into this issue as well if the drivers aren't angled enough as is the case with the stock HE-400i. That is what leads me to think it is a power function / amplitude issue of a specific frequency. The same tracks on the Bifrost 4490 and Magni 3 are not fatiguing for example.

Blur

Forum Donor
I hear ya on the overkill bit. When I’m only using 30% of the low gain setting I wonder if I truly need all of that power.

Blur

Forum Donor
Hey so I heard back from APOS Audio who have been absolutely awesome to purchase form about this unit:

"We spoke with the engineers at SMSL about your feedback. Both of the observations you pointed out are within the parameter of the design. We also opened up a few brand new units of SP200, and was able to confirm that (1) the knobs is not as tightly secured as some of other audio products, and (2) the volume increase after the volume knob go past 2-3PM appears almost imperceptible.
SMSL will let us know if they decide to revise and refine the design of the SP200. In the meantime, you have 2 years warranty, so you have plenty of time to make sure your SP200 is performing as it should."

I thought everyone else might like to know since we have all been wondering about this.
That’s awesome to get a response like that about design / performance issues!

MRphotography

That’s awesome to get a response like that about design / performance issues!

I honestly think Apos Audio has had some of the best service I have found so far in the industry as well as headphones.com they are also terrific so far.

raif71

Major Contributor
I hear ya on the overkill bit. When I’m only using 30% of the low gain setting I wonder if I truly need all of that power.
You never know if your next headphone has an impedance of 600 ohm or more :)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
High impedance is easy load. Only needs enough voltage swing.

KNUPAC

Is that the Fiio K5 Pro I see there? Are you using it as a DAC to feed the sp200?
Yep, Fiio K5 Pro feeding the SP-200 via RCA unbalanced, resulting in buzzing noise for some reason - I guess my cheap RCA cable is the culprit.
Also, wondering if I should invest in Balanced DAC (like SU-8)...

Only you know that, but honestly if it wasn't for the weird volume nob stuff and if it had a few more inputs/outputs on the back it would be perfect. I feel it's incredible sounding with the right pair of headphones and DAC.
Yes, a pass-through would be perfect and nothing much can't be said to the volume knob.

As the saying goes, "overkill is highly underrated."
lol, shame this saying doesn't rhyme perfectly with my wallet, this is really an expensive hobby.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yep, Fiio K5 Pro feeding the SP-200 via RCA unbalanced, resulting in buzzing noise for some reason - I guess my cheap RCA cable is the culprit.
Also, wondering if I should invest in Balanced DAC (like SU-8)...

Yes, a pass-through would be perfect and nothing much can't be said to the volume knob.

lol, shame this saying doesn't rhyme perfectly with my wallet, this is really an expensive hobby.
Buzzing = ground loop. Potential issue using unbalanced connection.

Veri

Master Contributor
I think thats not how this works :p
A well built RCA to XLR cable can make a little difference, benchmark has one that is wired to the star quad braid for better common mode rejection. It also costs $34 for one cable :p
https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-rca-to-xlrm-adapter-cable

I mean with this when one goes from RCA to XLR input though, balanced XLR to RCA adapter cable serves absolutely no point... you're effectively reducing the balanced connection to unbalanced so there's zero benefit.

Last edited:

Blur

Forum Donor
You never know if your next headphone has an impedance of 600 ohm or more :)
Yeah, although I'm pretty much into planars now. I'm keeping the amp because it really is so well made and sounds great. I cannot imagine using high gain for anything I own.

Last edited:
Top Bottom