• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kal's Beolab review is out!

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Perhaps you don't understand exactly what the Beolabs are capable of, this isn't marketing push like nano coatings on drivers this a paradigm change.
Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The beolab 90 is a sea change, not very many hifi manufacturers have the in house expertise in the wide ranging areas needed to design and make something like this.

Still fairly ordinary drivers with even more ordinary amplification modules, and your paying through the nose for the R&D etc that beolab are trying to recoup.

They have been out for awhile ( as have the kii three) but still see to be lacking the features promised.. I'd leave this ' paradigmatic shift ' for ten years. By which time the technology will be fully developed and more comprehensively explored .... Oh and it won't cost £80000 :D.

We seem already to be at a stage where playback supersedes the recording process , more fancy playback is possibly not the direction to go in.. How about a mic and recording revolution ( standardised for a start) then your records can sound even better without us spending a penny.. :)

Il wait for that... Gona be awhile:D

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
SEAS drivers but the DSP will correct any anomalies Kiis are £9k which is for a complete system.
Keith

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Keith,
Do you have any idea how many times I've heard that over my last 50 years in Hi Fi?
PLEASE, don't be silly.
Maybe, but at some point it may just be the case that a technology finally does become 'finished'. The colour TV makes the B&W version irrelevant, and the 4K (or 8K) flat screen television makes the CRT irrelevant. It's becoming harder to improve on a screen that is 5 mm thick, as big as can be used in the average house, has no border around it, and exceeds the resolution of the viewer's eyes. Maybe we are 'there'?

Same for the Beolabs/Kiis?

Cosmik

Major Contributor
SEAS drivers but the DSP will correct any anomalies Kiis are £9k which is for a complete system.
Keith
The desire for expensive drivers in these systems would be a misunderstanding of how they work - in fact, exotic drivers may be a positive disadvantage. What is needed are boring drivers that behave uniformly well over a relatively narrow frequency range. No 'character' or 'musicality' of their own is required.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
image.jpeg

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The desire for expensive drivers in these systems would be a misunderstanding of how they work - in fact, exotic drivers may be a positive disadvantage. What is needed are boring drivers that behave uniformly well over a relatively narrow frequency range. No 'character' or 'musicality' of their own is required.

Cosmik, an honest question for you:
Would an array of different size old-style paper cone drivers with Alnico magnets qualify as "boring"?

iridium.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I am not pointing fingers but, sometimes, it is hard to determine the differences between snide, satiric and sophomoric around here.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The Beolabs and Kii THREES make everything else irrelevant

Except for the 99.999% of the population who won't spend more than $1k on a set of speakers....

And if this really is the end-game (multi-driver active dynamic speakers with lots of DSP), while nice, it's kind of disappointing that this is best we can do.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I am not pointing fingers but, sometimes, it is hard to determine the differences between snide, satiric and sophomoric around here.
Well one of our original threads was a ' funny bathroom signs ' thread... I guess that set the tone Kal.

As for driver materials the new ( faily new) offerings from B&W are what I would call a genuine step forward in driver cone material technology..the continuum cones..

It has to be said I am no electrical engineer nor am I a speaker designer..

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Speakers/Home_Audio/800_Series_Diamond/800-D3-technologies.html

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Cosmik, an honest question for you:
Would an array of different size old-style paper cone drivers with Alnico magnets qualify as "boring"?
All I know is that many of the exotic driver materials (super-light, high stiffness-to-mass ratio etc.) seem to come with warnings about resonances and lack of damping. If you're working over a narrow frequency range, it would seem that there would be no point in using anything that is pushing the envelope in that regard..?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
L1000830.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
IMG_9506-JBL-M2-speakers-on-levinson-amps.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
0805_jbl_show_10.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Whatcha talkin bout Willis

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
So our future consists of giant sound bars?
Trying to accurately reproduce what we hear, making the reproduction sound exactly like the original.
Keith

Top Bottom