• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt S400 on and off-axis measurements (and the benefits of manufacturer data)

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Buchardt S400 is a recent critical darling that's catapulted to the top recommendations in its price bracket. I've had the pleasure of listening to them for some time while working a full review at my job, but as usual, I like sharing measurements separately here. I'll present these below and some quick thoughts later.

But first, I'd also like to give kudos to Buchardt for providing extensive measurements on its own site. It actually helped me catch a mistake with my measurements at one point - my laptop's sound 'enhancement' app had turned on its EQ at some point, throwing off my data with an artificial 'V' shape. I knew from looking at Buchardt's data that something was seriously off. Thankfully, this had happened before so I knew what the culprit was. I would have eventually caught the problem anyway, but having readily available data made it easier.

So yeah, this is one of the only speakers I've measured so far where the manufacturer already provides plenty of data, and it's fun to see how Buchardt's data compares to my own.

Of course, bear in mind that there are plenty of variables here, from equipment used, to measurement techniques, to the fact I'm measuring in an apartment and not an anechoic chamber.

Here's the quasi-anechoic horizontal response from 0-75 degrees. The listening window is an average of 0 degrees, ±15/30 horizontal, and ±10 vertical. Nearfield bass spliced at 400 Hz and compensated for baffle step. Measurements are made from 1m, with the reference axis between the waveguide and woofer, as recommended by Buchardt in its manual.
S400 Horizontal Response.png

This is a seriously impressive result that mostly echos Buchardt's measurements. Buchardt's shows a slight rise in the treble and more energy in the top octave, but I'd happily consider them 'close enough.' It feels good to verify provided specs in the real world.

That massive waveguide is doing its job, leading to one of the flattest listening window responses and smoothest directivity I've seen on a speaker, active or passive. You can also see it's a fairly high directivity design and that the flattest response seems to be around 15-30 degrees off-axis.

Bass output is impressive too, especially when you realize the S400 is actually a fairly compact bookshelf. It's significantly smaller than, say, the KEF R3, but reaches nearly as low.

Turning to the vertical response, things are less pretty, as usual with vertically-aligned speakers. Buchardt shows early reflections curves for ceiling and floor bounce on its site, but only provides a full contour response for the horizontal data, so I was curious to see how the vertical fared (the horizontal response is more important, but still).

First, here's the response at 0/5/10/15/30 degrees. I normally do this tight set of vertical measurements more to get an idea of how to optimally position speakers, as most speakers are far more sensitive in the vertical axis than horizontal. We see this clearly with the S400:

S400 Vertical 0 to 30.png

(Keep in mind the '0' position looks a bit different for the horizontal one because I typically perform this measurement by placing the speaker on its side to rotate around the reference axis. This usually leads to a slightly different response, but with vertical measurements, I'm more interested in dispersion trends than individual curves).

That's quite a bit of variation even at just 5 degrees above or below the reference axis. I repeated these measurements a few times just to be sure, including from a 2m distance just to make sure it wasn't a driver integration distance issue.

Thankfully, it's not as audible as it looks from a typical far-field listening position. This may be because the sound actually smooths out at larger vertical angles, meaning your vertical reflections shouldn't be too bad. Here's the vertical response out to 75 degrees above and below the reference axis:

S400 Vertical 0 to 75.png

The graphs are messy, but you can see the dips and peaks smooth out as you move further away, suggesting they don't affect the overall tonal balance in-room too much. However, the finicky vertical response within the listening window suggests that:
  • You should take care with vertical positioning, especially since the tweeter being below the woofer might mean the reference axis is a bit lower than optimal. That said, the S400's baffle is set at a 2 degree recline, ostensibly for phase alignment purposes but helping out a bit here too.
  • You might not want to use these as nearfield monitors. Any vertical movement would be exaggerated in a nearfield situation, and you're getting more direct sound and less reflected sound to balance out the wonkiness within those initial ±30 vertical degrees or so. Now that I think of it, I'd seen a few people mention the S400 don't sound as good in the nearfield and this may be why.
I'll have more listening thoughts soon, but these are very impressive little speakers with great dynamics, much more bass power than I expected, and focused imaging in a small, attractive package. I thought vocals might be a bit recessed - perhaps I didn't mess around with positioning enough- but other than that, I really enjoyed listening to them. They look nice and feel well built too, and I appreciate their minimal design; I thank the audio gods Buchardt uses a matte white instead of a glossy finish.

The hype around the S400 seems well deserved.

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Really fascinating how the vertical evens out eventually — probably every(?) instance I’ve seen it just gets worse, making me want to look away from the measurements!

*perhaps except for some coaxials out there.

kaka89

Great measurement!

I found the S400's top end is not as clear as I would like.
Harbeth M30 reproduces a better texture than S400, but measurement doesn't echo my experience.

Reactions: wje
OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really fascinating how the vertical evens out eventually — probably every(?) instance I’ve seen it just gets worse, making me want to look away from the measurements!

*perhaps except for some coaxials out there.

Yes indeed it surprised me- everything else I've measured that's not a coaxial gets worse or at least still exhibits significant lobing as you move to larger vertical angles. Buchardt seems to have sacrificed some of the vertical listening window for better early reflections/power response

For comparison, here's the vertical response out to 75 degrees for the Neumann KH80, which is better controlled than the majority of speakers with vertically-aligned drivers I've tried.

KH80 Verical.png

Of course, these speakers are meant for different applications - the Neumann's are explicitly meant for nearfield listening so the off-axis sound isn't as important.

That's the nice thing about measuring bookshelves, by the way - it's a lot easier to get vertical measurements for them, though still a pain in the butt. Normally I focus on the narrower 0-15 degrees section which covers sitting and standing for most people, as I don't want them to think a speaker will sound bad if there's some lobing apparent in the vertical response.

But this shows it's good to have a wider sweep of measurements should they reveal something interesting about the speakers; I might've assumed the S400's lobing continues at larger angles had I stopped at 30 degrees. The vertical response affects the power response so it's good to have the full picture, even if it's not as important as what's going on horizontally.

Mads Buchardt

Audio Company
This makes me SO happy to see! Thank you very much for taking the time to do all these mesuments, it's very important that some try to verify the specs and measurements that companies upload for all to see. Otherwise companies would just be able to claim all sorts of things which is sadly pretty common in many businesses.

Looks like you're pretty close to the mesuments we do, very impressive work considering your circumstances. Only thing that pops out would be the tweeter drop at 15khz, we don't see that as dramatic. The vertical response, it's really quite normal in a speaker with this configuration, it's a result of when the drivers meet in the crossover frequency, they cancel each other at that point. Only way to avoid this would be with a coax design, or full range. But then you would have the compromises elsewhere. Designing speakers is a choice of compromises all the time, you can't have it all. But it's also what's make this business amazing, there are room for so many types of designs, no one is perfect

And true, s400 is not designed to be a nearfield speaker, it can work if you have some distance to it. But the main design philosophy of the s400 was to create a speaker that really did an amazing job in normal rooms where the reflected sound is a huge part of the overall sound. Here off-axis response and behaviour is key to optain great sound quality.

Remember, I'm no engineer myself, so I might not be able to answer all questions without consulting with the s400 engineer first

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This makes me SO happy to see! Thank you very much for taking the time to do all these mesuments, it's very important that some try to verify the specs and measurements that companies upload for all to see. Otherwise companies would just be able to claim all sorts of things which is sadly pretty common in many businesses.

Looks like you're pretty close to the mesuments we do, very impressive work considering your circumstances. Only thing that pops out would be the tweeter drop at 15khz, we don't see that as dramatic. The vertical response, it's really quite normal in a speaker with this configuration, it's a result of when the drivers meet in the crossover frequency, they cancel each other at that point. Only way to avoid this would be with a coax design, or full range. But then you would have the compromises elsewhere. Designing speakers is a choice of compromises all the time, you can't have it all. But it's also what's make this business amazing, there are room for so many types of designs, no one is perfect

And true, s400 is not designed to be a nearfield speaker, it can work if you have some distance to it. But the main design philosophy of the s400 was to create a speaker that really did an amazing job in normal rooms where the reflected sound is a huge part of the overall sound. Here off-axis response and behaviour is key to optain great sound quality.

Remember, I'm no engineer myself, so I might not be able to answer all questions without consulting with the s400 engineer first

Nice to see you here! Yeah I basically consider everything after 10Khz to be no man's land as it's such a sensitive area when it comes to measurements. Besides, half of people can't hear too much above that anyway =] Maybe my microphone is experiencing some hearing loss of its own:p

With regards to vertical, yeah, it's very normal to have dips and peaks there, it's just interesting that these seem to be concentrated closer to the listening window than at the larger angles as seen with most others. So, I'm glad I did a full 180-degree sweep to get a better picture.

Last edited:

sfdoddsy

Good to see more measurements. Just a naggy question about the EQ your laptop threw in resulting in a V shaped response.

Was this taken into account in some of the previous measurements you've posted?

My R3 measurements, for example, have a bit of V, but nowhere near as much as yours.

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good to see more measurements. Just a naggy question about the EQ your laptop threw in resulting in a V shaped response.

Was this taken into account in some of the previous measurements you've posted?

My R3 measurements, for example, have a bit of V, but nowhere near as much as yours.

The R3 was measured on a different laptop with no such software, so it couldn't have happened :).

In any case, that software is always disabled - it seemed to have just been reactivated by a recent software update. Trust me, when I mean V shape, I mean a very exaggerated bass and treble. Having seen buchardt's own measurements just made it easier to know that said 'feature' was activated, instead of thinking something was wrong with my measuring setup.

Curious though - I don't think my R3 measurements look that V-shaped, just a pair of shallow dips in the midst. Mind sharing yours so I can see?

sfdoddsy

I have quite a few R3 measurements at various distances, but this one probably summarises what I consistently get best.

The two measurements are from the listening position.

Red is with no EQ, green is with Anthem ARC EQ.

Every single measurement I've done has that 1K dip (unless you measure above the tweeter).
KEF R3 in-room.jpg

maty

Major Contributor
Off topic

In these speakers that measure so well I do not think it is convenient to automatically equalize the entire frequency band, only up to 300 Hz and only some touch-ups and light points beyond. At least recordings with acoustic and electrified instruments. If synthesized instruments and voices with Autotune or films I have not objection.

sfdoddsy

I disagree.

The amazingly flat responses of such speakers as the Kii 3, D&D and Neumann KH80 are only achieved by using digital EQ. They boost the bass, and flatten the midrange and treble.

If your passive speaker has good overall response and well-controlled directivity (like the R3, Revels and similar), you can easily use digital EQ to create similar results by doing exactly what they do, plus room EQ.

In other words narrow band speaker and room correction below 500Hz or so, a shelving boost in the bass, and broad strokes above the midrange.

That said, if your speakers have crappy off-axis response you may create more harm than good.

I don't EQ above 500Hz with my inaccurate but very enjoyable open baffles, but do and will continue to do so with the KEF and DIY coax speakers I've been using in a different room for the past 10 years or so.

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have quite a few R3 measurements at various distances, but this one probably summarises what I consistently get best.

Every single measurement I've done has that 1K dip (unless you measure above the tweeter).View attachment 40346

Not to be dismissive, but this measurement isn't really comparable? For one, my measurements are quasi anechoic. That dip at 1K looks far deeper than it is in my measurements(5db rather than 2-3db), so that leads me to believe it's at least in part a room artefact.

For another, the smoothing and scaling is totally different. Here's my R3 quasi-anechoic vs room response. Note my room response does not even show a dip at 1k =]

R3-2.png

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

Every single measurement I've done has that 1K dip (unless you measure above the tweeter).View attachment 40346

That scaling you got there looks rather ridiculous. I presume you applied some offset to move the plotted responses higher at around ~125dB?

Top Bottom